Sapporo Maruyama Zoo
- They breed typical Hokkaido animals such as Ussuri brown bear, Polar bear, Yezo deer and wolves.
- 3-1 Miyagaoka, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.sapporo.jp/zoo/
Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill
- Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill, though located in the large city of Sapporo, gives you a view of sheep herds grazing in the vast pastureland, and is a scenic spot overlooking the Ishikari Plain.
- 1 Hitsujigaoka, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hitsujigaoka.jp/
Historical Village of Hokkaido
- The Historical Village of Hokkaido relocated buildings showing the history of everyday life, industry, economy and culture during the pioneer era, while restoring and preserving the historical sites. It is an open-air museum where you can view the reproduction of the lifestyle at the time, giving you a history lesson of the pioneers in Hokkaido.
- 50-1 Atsubetsucho Konopporo, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kaitaku.or.jp/info/info.htm
Yama No Aquarium
- This is a freshwater fish aquarium located in Rubeshibecho, Kitami city in Hokkaido. Enjoy the water tank with ”waterfall”, the first in Japan; world’s first ”Aquarium of freezing river in the winter”; and large wild fish called Ito.
- 1-4 Rubeshibecho Matsuyama, Kitami, Hokkaido
- URL http://onneyu-aq.com/
- The best spot to view ice drifts. The best season is between February to March.
- Kawamukai Shokotsu-cho, Monbetsu
Shiretoko National Park, Oshinkoshin Fall
- It is also called ”Futami no Taki (Fall with two beauty)” since the river splits into two. The view is spectacular especially during the drift ice season when you can view the impressive white ocean which seems to spread out as far as the eye can see.
- Utoro Nishi, Shari-cho, Shari -gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.shiretoko.asia/oshinkoshin.html
- Located 11km from Teshikaga town and12km from Kawayu Hot Spring, the surface of the lake is 351 meters above sea level, about 20 km in circumference, covering 19.2 square km, and 211.4 meters in depth. It is a crater lake with the world’s top class transparency.
- Teshikaga-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- A huge cobalt blue lake lying in Kussharo crater, the largest in Japan.
- Teshikaga, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- It is a pond in the middle of the mountain containing underground water from Lake Mashu. The name ”Kaminoko (Child of God)” pond comes from the legend that Lake Mashu was called ”Kamuito” which means Lake of God.
- Kiyomizu, Kiyosato-cho, Shari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kiyosatokankou.com/kaminokoike.html
Rikubetsu Space Earth Science Museum
- An observatory open to the public and equipped with Japan’s largest 115cm reflex telescope, four 30 cm binoculars, 15cm binoculars, and four consecutive solar telescopes.
- Rikubetsu-cho, Ashoro-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.rikubetsu.jp/tenmon/
Lake Akan; Ainu Kotan
- Various Ainu classic dance and puppet shows called”Iomante fire festival” are performed at the Lake Akan Ainu Theater ”Ikor”. They also have Ainu-life Memorial Hall where you can learn about the lifestyle and culture of the Ainu people.
- 4-7-19 Akanko Onsen, Akan-cho, Kushiro, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.akanainu.jp/en/
- A Russian restaurant always booked full with reservations. You can enjoy the genuine taste of Russian food such as Pirozhki and Borsch.
- 1-6-28 Minato, Wakkanai, Hokkaido Wakkanai Harbor Market, Yataimura
Mhe Mhe Bakery
- The bakery makes and sells bread made using local Hokkaido wheat flour and natural yeast made from local rye flour. They also try to use local and organic dried fruit, nuts, and milk products as much as possible.
- 233 Minehama, Shari-cho, Shari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://me-me-bakery.com/
- Senshuan is a confectionary store specializing in Japanese confectionary, Western confectionary, chocolate and ice-cream all made in their on-site factory. In particular, their Japanese confectionary has maintained the traditional methods, upholding the value of ”handmade” since the very beginning. This food culture is an important part of traditional Japanese art and craft.
- 3-17 Minami 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://senshuan.co.jp/about/company-profile/honten/
- A very popular pastry store with delicate and colorful cakes made by a patissier trained in France.
- 1-15-20 Otowa-cho, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
Romance Farm, Koki Saito (Asparagus)
- Farming asparagus in Tarumae, Tomakomai City. Developing his own method of cultivating, his asparagus is very fresh and tasty, making it very popular.
- 90 Tarumae, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- Italian restaurant in Sapporo. Enjoy dishes made mainly with products from Hokkaido with the perfect wine to pair with the Italian cuisine.
- Asuka Building 2F, 1, Minami 2-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.canofilo.jp/top.html
- A store specializing in apple pies, founded 28 years ago. The homemade apple pie made with local Hokkaido apples can be delivered from the store in Sapporo to any location in Japan.
- Ohata Building, 1-1, Higashi 8-chome, Kita 28-Jo Higashi, Higashi-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.kagurajyu.com/
- Cape Chikyu is an amazing spot in Muroran where you can view the ocean. The word derives from the Ainu word ”Poro Chikeppu (Cliff which is the parents)”. When you stand at the observatory at Cape Chikyu built on the 130m high cliff, you can really feel that the earth is round, as the name suggests. If the weather is good, you can enjoy the view as far as Cape Esan and Shimokita Peninsula.
- 4-77 Bokoi Minamimachi, Muroran, Hokkaido
Shibazakura Garden by Mishima
- Mishima who lives in Kutchan opens his private garden to the public to show off his ”shibazakura” garden. When in full bloom, the 4 thousand square meter flower garden is filled with red, pink and white flowers.
- 51 Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
Sapporo Agricultural School, Milk Cookie/ Kinotoya
- Using only flour, butter and plenty of fresh milk from Hokkaido, this cookie is luxurious. The light, melt in your mouth sensation and rich milk flavor is the pride of the store.
- 3-7-36 Higashi Inaho 5-Jo, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kinotoya.com/item/nougakkou/en/
Sushi Zen, Main Store
- Sushi Zen, Main Store is located in Maruyama where you can experience the beauty of the four seasons of the northern region. The restaurant has 3 counters ”Snow”, ”Moon”, ”Flower” and a reservation only ”Hanare (Separate building)”. In each room, you can enjoy sushi in a calm, quiet setting.
- 27-2-10 Kita 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sushizen.co.jp/tenpo/honten.php
Sushi Sai, Wakichi
- Located right next to Maruyama Park in Sapporo. A high-end sushi restaurant with only 8 seats and 2 Michelin stars in 2017.
- 25-1-22 Minami 2-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Soya Misaki (Cape Soya)
- Soya Misaki is a cape in the Wakkanai area of Hokkaido. It is the northernmost land in mainland Japan that is easily accessible.
- Soya Misaki, Wakkanai, Hokkaido
Fujishiro Seiji Kagee Museum
- Located on the 1st floor of ”Wooden Toy World - Chitcha World”. The exhibition has 30 shadow paintings and 31 mural paintings. Enjoy a world of fantasy as if in a fairy tale.
- 143-4 Ikutahara, Engaru-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://cha2world.com/shadow.html
Shiretoko National Park, Nature Guide ”Peninsula View Course”
- Guided tours are available with different programs each season enabling you to truly ”enjoy” and ”feel” Shiretoko. Some of the most popular tours are ”guided trek around the 5 lakes of Shiretoko” with a professional guide, and ”drift ice walk” which will bring you back to your youth.
- URL https://www.shiretoko.asia/list_guide.html
Akan Tsuruga Besso Hinanoza
- An Japanese style ”onsen” inn with an outdoor bath in every room, located in the ”onsen” town of Akanko, Hokkaido. The hotel is part of the Tsuruga group and is conveniently located for touring Hokkaido, Kushiro Marsh, Mashu Lake and Shiretoko. Complimentary shuttle service is available daily from Sapporo, Obihiro, Kushiro and Kitami.
- 2-8-1 Akanko Onsen, Akan-cho, Kushiro
- URL https://www.hinanoza.com/en/
Tsurui Ito Tancho Crane Sanctuary
- The ”Tsurui Ito Tancho Crane Sanctuary” was created by the Wild Bird Society of Japan as a base for promoting conservation of the Tancho crane and its habitat. In the sanctuary, you can observe cranes as they gather at feeding stations using telescopes from the field as well as the nature center.
- Setsuri Minami, Tsurui -mura, Akan-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.wbsj.org/en/tsurui/
- The building and interior is designed in harmony with nature, and all 15 rooms have hot springs directly drawn from the source. It is a quiet and peaceful ”ryokan” surrounded by the grand nature of Niseko.
- 76-4 Hanazono, Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://zaborin.com/en
- The guest rooms have a view of the famous oat fields of Biei. On a sunny day, you can also enjoy the spectacular view of Taisetsu Mountain all the way to the Tokachi Mountain range. Biei is famous for the croissants using local flour and butter.
- Dai 2 Hokuei, Biei-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://bi-ble.jp/hotel/
- Established in 2002. The structure is based on the image of a ”kura (cellar)”, and each cellar (guest room) is joined by a corridor. Enjoy the sound of the flowing Asari River and the surrounding woodland landscape, allowing you to come in touch with nature.
- 2-685 Asarigawa Onsen, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.kuramure.com/en/
- A top restaurant certified by the world famous Relais & Chateaux in 2014. You can enjoy French cuisine using produce from Hokkaido while viewing Maruyama Park.
- Lafayette Miyagaoka 1F, 2-1-1 Miyagaoka, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sapporo-moliere.com/
Bourou Noguchi Hakodate
- Bourou Noguchi Hakodate is a luxurious environment which pursues the ”ultimate space for adults to relax”. The ”kaiseki” cuisine using the best seasonal local ingredients is the pride of the inn.
- 1-17-22 Yukawa-cho, Hakodate, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.bourou-hakodate.com/en/
- Michelin Guide Hokkaido 2012 Special Edition 1 star restaurant. The owner goes to the market and farms himself to carefully select ingredients. A restaurant where you can enjoy excellent tempura at the counter.
- 23-10 Suginami-cho, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Furano Deli, Main Store
- A confectionary store located in Furano, famous for its milk custard. The milk products which are made from fresh milk have a different richness each season. Each piece of confectionary has the owner’s strong commitment - ”I want customers to be able to enjoy confectionary with fresh ingredients from Furano and Hokkaido in a casual setting, as if our shop was located next door to your home.”
- 2156-1 Shimogoryo, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.le-nord.com/
Genghis Khan, Daikokuya
- Leading restaurant in Asahikawa City specializing in Genghis Khan. They serve fresh, high quality, tender lamb such as chuck meat from less than 1 year old lamb called ”Raw Lamb”, rib rack called ”Thick Cut Rib”, raw lamb marinated with herb and rock salt called ”Herbed Raw Lamb”. You can enjoy top quality lamb with the restaurant’s special sauce and vegetables from Hokkaido.
- 7 4-Jo Street, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.daikoku-jgs.com/
- Confectionary store ”Kitakaro” is located in the vast landscape of the North. Their popular ”Baumkuchen” is made with flour, egg and whipping cream from Hokkaido, each made carefully by the artisans. Many people from all over Japan come in search of this Baumkuchen.
- 19-2-1 Nishi 1-Jo Kita, Sunagawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitakaro.com/
Yokoshi Fromage Tei
- Their motto in making the cheese is ”Safe and secure for the family to eat”. The cheese is made from only the healthiest dairy cows raised in the rich natural environment of Ashibetsu City. The fresh cheese without preservatives and food coloring has a rich taste, and you can also taste the sweetness of the milk.
- 1077 Honmachi, Ashibetsu, Hokkaido (behind Ashibetsu station)
- URL http://yokoichicheese.com/
- Valore is a ”Natural Food Restaurant of Hokkaido” quietly standing in the beautiful city of Biei surrounded by nature and pine forest. The Italian cuisine with fresh vegetables grown in the northernmost grounds brings out the taste of the ingredients to the utmost, and letting you experience the nature of Hokkaido through your taste buds.
- Kyosei Misawa, Biei, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.biei-valore.com/home.html
Tapu Kopu Farm, KONDO Vineyard
- Kondo Vineyard is actually a farm in the Sorachi area of Hokkaido, growing mainly grapes for wine. Since opening the vineyard in 2007, they continue to cultivate grapes without using chemical fertilizers. The wine produced here is rare because of the limited production, and sells out each vintage quickly sells out.
- Located in Obihiro, Hokkaido, this is a shrine worshipping Daikoku for rich harvest, happy marriage and prosperity in business. Recently, the shrine was a model for ”Oezo Shrine” in the manga ”Silver Spoon”.
- Shrine located next to Maruyama Park. In 1869, Hokkaido Jingu was made by the order (”Mikotonori”) from the Meiji Emperor to create a ”Kaitaku Sanshin (Three Gods of Pioneering)” to give ”settlers a place of worship”. Covering about 180,000 square meters, it is known for the beautiful cherry blossoms and is frequented by locals. There is a lot of wildlife, and visitors can observe Ezo squirrels, Northern Fox and wild birds.
Hakodate Magistrate’s Office
- Hakodate was one of the first ports to open to foreigners in Japan. At the end of the Tokugawa period, Hakodate Magistrate’s Office was given the responsibility of providing security for the northern region as well as carrying out foreign negotiations. The spectacular building is the first Western style castle ”Goryokaku” and was dismantled two years after the end of the Hakodate War. After 140 years, the building was reproduced in its entirety, using the highest technology.
- URL http://www.hakodate-bugyosho.jp/
Kunimare Shuzo Ltd.,
- Established in Meiji 15. The secret of its delicious flavor is in the quality of the water. They use underground water that originates from the rich residual snow from the Shobanbetsu mountain range. The ”sake” cellar is open to the public year round, and a tasting area is also available.
- 1-17 Inaba-cho, Mashike, Mashike-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://kunimare-world.jp/index.html
- A zoo where you can observe the ecology of the animals through the various behavioral exhibits. It has a proven record for breeding animals which inhabit cold regions, and for the first time in Japan, they have succeeded in natural breeding of the Polar bear, Amur leopard and Eurasian scops owl.
- Higashiasahikawacho Karanuma, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.asahikawa.hokkaido.jp/asahiyamazoo/
Abashiri Lake Tsuruga Resort, Hokuten no Oka
- A spa resort by Lake Abashiri, Hokkaido. Located at the top of the hill, you can feel the grandeur of nature when you look up at the northern skies or look down at Lake Abashiri. The ”Okhotsk Culture” themed property stimulates all 5 senses with nature and history. At the ”Fire Tower” which was inspired by the tent of the indigenous northern people, enjoy the mystic light reflecting on the hot water of the foot bath.
- 159 Yobito, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hokutennooka.com/en/
ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel, Wakkanai
- A City and Resort Hotel in the northernmost town of Japan. It is popular as a base for touring Rishiri, Rebun and Sarobetsu National Park. At the restaurant, you can enjoy great food using seasonal local ingredients.
- 1-2-2 Kaiun, Wakkanai, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.surfeel-wakkanai.com/en/
Wood artist – Akihiko Muraki
- A woodworking artist residing in Sapporo. In 1989, he founded Craft Fico (a studio) and served as a teacher at a vocational school. His activities are diverse. He was chosen to exhibit for the East Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition between 2003 - 2013. Currently he lectures at the Gyokkodo School of Culture in Susukino, Sapporo as well as continuing his creative work.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Maasa Honda
- Resides in Sapporo City. She started ceramics in 2009 in Sapporo and since then has been making pottery using glaze made out of melon ashes. The ashes give her work a soft hue that is slightly more bluish than the standard porcelain. Her work uses nature and animal motifs, and many female fans are charmed by the cute sophisticated pottery.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://hondamaasa.wixsite.com/tougei/profile
Abashiri Prison Museum / Tangible Cultural Property
- Abashiri Prison Museum is a historical open-air museum operating in the former Abashiri Prison building that was used from the Meiji period and has been preserved and made open to the public. Prison food tastings and guided tours for groups are popular.
- 1-1 Yobito, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.kangoku.jp/multilingual_english/
Hokkaido Museum of Northern Peoples
- Hokkaido Museum of Northern Peoples is the only museum specializing in the Kitamine area, and one of the few ethnographic museums in the world. In addition to the exhibition, they proactively promote research, gather research material, promote education through lectures and seminars, and conduct excavations and ethnographic surveys.
- 309-1 Shiomi, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL http://hoppohm.org/english/index.htm
Kawakami Agricultural Experiment Station
- Kawakami Agricultural Experiment Station was established as Chubetsu Crop Testing Laboratory in Meiji 9, and began prototyping and researching agricultural crops. They have developed numerous excellent varieties and cultivation techniques, and now they are conducting experimental studies on rice, farming and horticulture.
- 5 Minami 1-sen, Pippu, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hro.or.jp/en/index.html
Kobayashi Shuzo Ltd., (Kitano Nishiki)
- Kobayashi Shuzo was founded in Meiji 11. They stopped using additives such as saccharides, and is the only brewery in Hokkaido where all products are 100% ”Honjozo”. ”Kitano Nishiki” was created by the first generation master Yazaburo Kobayashi, and as the name suggests, expresses his desire to succeed in Hokkaido. It is a limited edition ”junmaishu” and is so popular that it sells out quickly.
- 3-109 Nishiki, Kuriyama-cho, Yubari, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitanonishiki.com/
Obihiro Centennial Hall
- This is a large multifunctional center located in the Tokachi region which functions as a museum as well as creative activity center. In the permanent exhibition, they introduce the history, industries and nature of Tokachi, as well as an impressive model of a mammoth. At the creative activity center, creative workshops centered around ceramics are available.
- 2 Midorigaoka, Obihiro, Hokkaido
- URL http://museum-obihiro.jp/occm/
Noboribetsu Onsen Kyo Takinoya
- ”Onsen” inn located in Noboribetsu city. The Japanese character ”Ie (house)” in their name symbolizes their desire to provide ”a place of comfort that feels like your hometown”. There is a Japanese garden and outdoor bath where you can enjoy fully relax both mentally and physically.
- 162 Noboribetsu Onsen-cho, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takinoya.co.jp/index.html
The Ainu Museum
- This is an open-air museum that introduces the history and culture of the Indigenous people of Ainu from Hokkaido. It is operated by the Ainu Museum Foundation. Here they have 5000 Ainu folk materials and about 250 items of northern ethnic minorities, of which 800 are permanently displayed. As related materials, it houses about 150 Ainu pictures and documents, and about 7500 books.
- 2-3-4 Wakakusacho, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/
Dyeing – Keisei Shiozawa
- Dye artist who studied under his brother Teruhiko Shiozawa. He is an official member of Japan Kogei Association and the Director of the Hokkaido Research Group, Eastern Japan Branch, Japan Kogei Association. After being awarded top honors at the Shinjin Senshokuten in 1980, he added to his list of awards at The Traditional Craft Exhibition and Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition.
- Eniwa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.yuuzen-shiozawa.com/index.html
Metalcraft Art – Leo Fujisawa
- Metalcraft artist and sculptor. Graduated from Dohto University, faculty of Fine Arts. In 1999 he founded Studio Leo and has been holding solo exhibitions, group exhibitions and art fairs since 2005. It is impressive to see his distinct and sophisticated style in his iron art pieces.
- Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- URL http://leofujisawa.com/
Ainu Traditional craftsman – Rempei Mizuno
- An Ainu wood carving artist, he also operates a gallery exhibiting and selling traditional Ainu handicrafts in Shiraoi town. He is not an Ainu descendent, but an artist who makes wood carving pieces such as trays and small swords, using traditional Ainu techniques.
- Shiraoi- cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
Woodcraft Artist – Hiroaki Shimizu
- Woodcraft artist born in Sapporo in 1973. After graduating from Hokkaido College of Art & Design, he studied the nature of wood and processing techniques at a timber store in Sapporo for about 3 years. In 2007 he began to work independently, producing his own pieces. Since 2009, he has been lecturing part time at The Hokkaido College of Art & Design, Department of Environment Design and Craft Design.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://kagu-shimizu.blogspot.jp/
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Teruko Nakamura
- Born in Bihoro Town, Abashiri in 1933. Ms. Nakamura is the pioneer of women potters in Hokkaido, and has been active since holding her first solo exhibition in 1972. In 1986 she won the Hokkaido Geijutsu Shinsho (Award for New Artist), and in 1989 she won Shoreisho at the Hokkaido Bunkasho (Cultural Encouragement Award). She uses silver coating, ”Nukie”, ”Zogan” (metal inlay) and other highly honed techniques to create tea utensils and dishes.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Auberge Chimikeppu Hotel
- A homey Auberge with only 8 rooms located by Chimikeppu Lake. Serving creative French cuisine using ingredients from Hokkaido. Needless to say, the course menu is delicious, but the beauty and playfulness of the presentation is also amazing. Chimikeppu Lake is 7 km in circumference and surrounded by nature. You can enjoy activities such as canoeing and mountain biking.
- 204 Numasawa, Tsubetsu-cho, Abashiri-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.chimikepphotel.com/
Kawayu Dai Ichi Hotel, Suikazura
- The hotel has a feeling of ”azumashisa = comfort” with the highest quality ”osen” created by nature, and Japanese style ambience that provides a graceful moment. VIP rooms ”Rin” and ”Hana” in the west wing offer Japanese atmosphere combined with western elegance, creating the most luxurious of getaways. The area is surrounded the nature of mountains, lakes and ocean, providing fresh seafood as an abundance of freshly picked vegetables. Enjoy the bounties of nature every season.
- 1-2-3 Kawayu Onsen, Teshikaga-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kawayu.co.jp/en/
Oke Craft Center
- Oke Craft Center, Forest Craft Center was established in 1988 as the main facility for the regional brand ”Oke Craft” in Oketo town. Also involved in nurturing artists and selling Oke Craft products.
- 439-4 Oketo, Oketo-cho, Tokoro-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.town.oketo.hokkaido.jp/kougeihp/
Tokachigawa Onsen Dai Ichi Hotel.
- The Tokachi River flows gently in front of the hotel which also boasts a magnificent view of the natural landscape. The moor hot spring is very unique as it only exists in Tokachi, and is cherished for its special qualities as a ”hot spring for beauty”.
- 12-1 Tokachigawa Onsen, Otofuke-cho, Kato-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.daiichihotel.com/
Hokkaidoritsu Obihiro Museum
- Located in Obihiro; the central city in the Eastern part of Hokkaido and located in the center of Tokachi Plain, the museum is the focal point of cultural communication. The museum has an innovative design that allows you to experience a refreshing encounter with art. They collect artwork by Eastern Hokkaido artists, and modern Western pieces of rural landscapes and farm life, mainly from the Barbizon school.
- 2 Midorigaoka, Obihiro, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/obj/290622top2.htm
Ikeda City Grape, Wine Research Center
- The appearance is similar to an European medieval castle, thus the name ”Wine Castle”. French oak barrels and old vintage wines sleep quietly in the basement wine cellar. On the first floor, local products from Ikeda City such as Tokachi wine can be purchased in the shopping area. Grape vines are planted on the southern slopes, making it a tourist facility where you can learn about the Tokachi wine in detail.
- 83-4 Kiyomi, Ikeda-cho, Nakagawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tokachi-wine.com/foreignlanguage.html
Tokachigawa Onsen Sanyoan
- Japanese style ”onsen” inn located in Tokachigawa Onsen. With only 11 rooms, the property provides top quality service for a select number of guests. The water quality called moor hot spring is very rare in the world. It is rich in moisturizing components and makes your skin silky smooth, so it is popular with female guests.
- 13 Tokachigawa Onsen Minami, Otofuke-cho, Kato-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sanyoan.com/
- Rokka Forest is a vast landscaped garden that was born from and maintained by Rokkatei’s Patronage activities. On the 100,000 square meter site, ”Tokachi Rokka”(Six flowers: ”Ezorindo”, ”Hamanashi”, ”Oobananoen Reiso”, ”Katakuri”, ”Ezoryukinka” and ”Shiraneaoi”) bloom seasonally, and there are museums in the garden using old houses relocated from Croatia.
- 249-6 Tokiwa Nishi 3 sen, Nakasatsunai, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.rokkatei.co.jp/facilities/index2.html
- Obihiro, Hokkaido is known for its refreshing and grand natural environment. Hokkaido Hotel is an urban resort hotel built with bricks in the midst of the city. The impressive façade is made with high quality brick using clay from Tokachi. Natural materials typical to Hokkaido are used for the interior, creating a comforting and relaxing space.
- 19-1 Nishi 7-Jo Minami, Obihiro
- URL https://www.hokkaidohotel.co.jp/english/
- Takasago Shuzo, formerly known as Kohiyama Shuzo, has been brewing ”sake” in the Northern part of Hokkaido, Asahikawa for one century. The crisp dry ”Kokushimuso”, born in Meiji 50, became a huge hit and the name spread around the whole country. Currently about 20 of its signature labels are sold at general retail stores.
- 17 Miyashitadori, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takasagoshuzo.com/
- Hashimoto Ceramics is a shop specializing in ceramic pottery located in the country town of Shiaoi in Hokkaido. At the gallery shop, warm, handmade pottery made by Hokkaido artists are exhibited and sold. Try your hand at making a kaleidoscope, candle or your original pottery piece at the experience workshop on site.
- 118-146 Takeura, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://84mo10.com/tougeikan/
- The brown brick Hokkaido Museum is a comprehensive museum run by Hokkaido Ward introducing the nature, history, and culture of Hokkaido. It also researches and studies the relationship between the natural environment and people, the culture of the Ainu tribe, and the life of people migrating from Honshu. In addition, they collect and preserve materials that are of importance to the people of Hokkaido, organize exhibitions, hold educational seminars, events and other business.
- 53-2 Atsubetsucho Konopporo, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hm.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/en/
- Established in Taisho 5. They give special attention to ”sake without added water”, ”water”, ”air” and ”environment”. The water comes from the Niseko Weiss Mountains runoff and ”sprouting spring water” from Mount Yotei. The cellar is located in a heavy snow area which is suitable for low temperature fermentation.
- 47 Asahi, Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.nisekoshuzo.com/
Century Royal Hotel
- Century Royal Hotel is connected to JR Sapporo station. You can relax at this gorgeous property, and relieve yourself of any fatigue from your travels.
- Kita 5-Jo, Nishi 5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.cr-hotel.com/
- Chitose Winery was established in 1988. Initially, they began making wine from haskap berry that grows wild in the Chitose area. But now, they also use Pinot Noir and Kellner grapes from contracted farms in Yoichi. Enjoy a factory tour and free tasting, and purchase your favorite wine at the store.
- 1-7 Takadai, Chitose, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.chitose-winery.jp/
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Noriko Tsutai
- Ms Noriko Tsutai, a ceramic artist who has a studio and gallery in Sapporo. Establishing her own style using silver coating and mud painting techniques, her feminine and elegant pottery has gained unmatched popularity.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://tsutainoriko.com/
Premier Hotel Tsubaki Sapporo
- Premier Hotel Tsubaki Sapporo, located in Toyohira-ku, Sapporo is a 13 minute walk from Toyosui Susukino subway station. It is a city resort hotel with a wide range of facilities including accommodations, restaurants, meeting rooms and weddings.
- 1-1-1 Toyohira 4-Jo, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://tsubaki.premierhotel-group.com/sapporo/
Sapporo Park Hotel
- Sapporo Park Hotel is located about 6 minutes by subway from JR Sapporo station. Connected to Nakajima Koen station, it is a city hotel representing Sapporo. Even though it lies in the city center of Sapporo, the vast nature of Nakajima Park is directly below, allowing you to immerse yourself in comfort. It is convenient for sightseeing, business and other purposes.
- Minami 10-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.park1964.com/
Woodcraft Artist – Natsuki Funayama
- Natsuki Funayama is a woodcraft artist born in Hakodate city, Hokkaido. In 2004 he graduated from Hokkaido University of Education, Sapporo branch, Art and Culture department, Art course, woodcraft study group. The following year, he started his creative work using a classroom of an abandoned school as his studio. Using his chisel, Funayama creates pieces that are fine, simple and warm.
Kaneitanaka Shuzo/Tanaka Shuzo Co.Ltd., Kamekouzo
- Kaneitanaka Shuzo was established in 1899 near the Otaru canal. All their materials are locally sourced from Hokkaido. The ”daiginjo” sake ”Takaragawa” uses rice called ”Suisei (Comet)” from Niseko town, and won the gold medal at the National New Sake Appraisal Competition. Apart from making sake, they also make ”mirin”, vinegar and soy sauce using materials from Hokkaido.
- 3-2-5 Ironai, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tanakashuzo.com/
Suizantei Club Jozankei
- A Japanese style hideaway inn with only 14 rooms, providing a getaway for grown-ups. ”Suizantei Club Jozankei” is located in the deep woodlands of Sapporo where you can thoroughly relax amongst the trees and valley of Jozankei. All rooms offer a rich blend of 3 hot springs drawn directly from the source, and the free flowing hot springs is sure to melt away your fatigue.
- 2-10 Jozankei Onsen Nishi, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.club-jyozankei.com/
Nihon Seishu Co. Ltd.
- Established in Meiji 5, originally named Shibata Shuzo, this was the first company in Sapporo to brew ”sake”. Their main products are local ”sake” from Sapporo, Hokkaido - ”Chitose Tsuru”, Yoichi Wine, and ”miso”. ”Chitose Tsuru” uses underground water from Toyohira River and uses only ”ginpu rice” farmed near Shintotsu River. ”Yoichi Wine” is made from grapes from Yoichi, made in Yoichi and deeply rooted in the local area where you can meet the people who are involved in its production.
- 5-2 3-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.nipponseishu.co.jp/
Kitano Homare Shuzo
- The name ”Kitano Homare (Northern Honor)” is based on the desire to have ”people, sake and brewery in the Northern land that can earn high praise”. They are highly popular for the devotion that they put into each drop of ”sake”.
- 1-21-15 Okusawa, Otaru, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist/ Satomi Takahashi
- Born in Hokkaido and residing in Sapporo. Ms. Takahashi was originally interested in food but began making ceramics when she thought ”Wouldn’t it be delicious to eat rice using my own handmade bowl?”. Her dishware is very easy to handle, and you can feel the warmth when you use them.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Monbetsu Central Hotel
- A hotel in Monbetsu with a view of the Sea of Okhotsk. Here you can enjoy crab, scallops and other fresh seafood as well as Komeiseki Onsen to ease your fatigue.
- 7-1-58 Minato-cho, Monbetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.mombetsu.co.jp/en/index.html
Hotel Okura Sapporo
- A hotel adjacent to Sapporo Odori Park. An easy connection to JR and the subway, and within walking distance of shopping and sightseeing locations. Serving seasonal menus using prime ingredients of the season.
- 5 Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.okura-nikko.com/japan/sapporo/hotel-okura-sapporo/
Kokorono Resort Umino Bettei Furukawa
- 8 minutes by car from JR Noborito station. Their main feature is the outdoor bath with an amazing view that makes you feel like you’re part of the ocean. The Pacific Ocean spreads out right before your eyes, and you can hear the sound of the waves. It is the perfect outdoor bath to truly relax your body and soul.
- 289-3 Kojohama, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kokorono-resort.com/english/
Shikotsuko Tsuruga Resort Spa, MIZU NO UTA
- Mystic ”Lake Shikotsu” is surrounded by primal forest. The ”Shikotsuko Tsuruga Resort Spa MIZU NO UTA” lies quietly by the lake. The resort hotel allows you to truly enjoy a moment of peace so that you can focus on healing and health.
- Shikotsuko Onsen, Chitose, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.mizunouta.com/
- An Italian restaurant in a quiet residential area. The owner chef, Miyashita, carefully selects ingredients not only from Hokkaido but also around the nation to provide delicate dishes that maximizes the quality of the ingredients.
- Sonia Futagoyama 4F, 30205 Futagoyama, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Opened in 2011 as a sister restaurant to Le Venter. They welcome guests with Limoges plates and Christofle cutleries. You can bring in wine from the wine store next door!
- Brick Building 1F, 4 Kita 2-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://la-brique.com/
- Ristorante Andrea advertises as pure Italian restaurant. Seating is with reservation only and there is no menu. The chef is officially recognized for his true Italian Piemonte regional cuisine which can only be tasted here.
- 3-2-42 Futagoyama, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://ristorante-andrea.com/index.html
- A French restaurant produced by leading chef, Kiyomi Mikuni. You can enjoy the depth and luxury of the food prepared to maximize the true flavors of the seasonal ingredients from Hokkaido. Located in Sapporo Stella Place 9F, directly connected to the station.
- JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo, Stella Place 9F, 5 Nishi 2-chome, Kita 5-Jo, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- French restaurant located in Minami Maruyama, Sapporo, Hokkaido. The best quality French cuisine made by experienced chef Masaaki Yokosuka who was the head chef at “Michel Bras Toya Japon“ in The Windsor Hotel Toya.
- N2 Building B1, 26-3-8 Kita 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.miya-vie.jp/
- A top quality ”Kaiseki” restaurant, “Mieta” is located in the Susukino area of Sapporo. There are only 10 counter seats, offering a quiet, serene ambience. Awarded a Michelin, the restaurant is considered the number one Japanese restaurant in Sapporo.
- 23 Keiwa Building 4F, Minami 5-Jo, Nishi 3, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Pirikarera Hotel is a high-end resort Hotel with natural hot springs in every guest room. All 6 guest rooms are luxurious suites. For dinner, enjoy ”teppanyaki” using local Shiraoi beef from Hokkaido and fresh vegetables.
- 1-3-15 Hinode-cho, Shiraoi, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.pirikarera.com/
- 20min car ride from New Chitose Airport. You can enjoy the grand nature of Hokkaido at Hotel Nidom. Nidom is an Ainu word for ”rich forest” and true to its name, the hotel is located within a 500 thousand square meter forest along with a church, golf course and other facilities.
- 430 Uenae, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.nidomresort.jp/hotel/english/
Goryokaku Park, Goryokaku Tower
- Goryokaku Tower is an observation tower adjacent to Goryokaku, a special historical site in Hakodate, Hokkaido. Goryokaku Park is a star shaped castle and is designated as a Special Historical Site of Japan. It was the site of the Battle of Hakodate, the last battle during the Boshin War.
- URL http://www.goryokaku-tower.co.jp/
- Esashi Ryotei Gunrai is a high class inn located in the town of Esashi by Oiwake River. Guests can ease their body and souls with the blessings of nature, hot springs drawn directly from the source, and cuisine using local ingredients. There are only 7 guest rooms on this property. Guests can enjoy the luxury of doing absolutely nothing while being immersed in nature and history.
- URL https://www.esashi-kuki.jp/en-top/
Shibuta Sangyo ”Ezo Maitake”
- The biggest characteristic of Maitake mushroom is the crunchiness and the texture. “Ezo Maitake” is an attractive mushroom using selected spores with a thick, meaty cap and big stem that can stand up to wild varieties.
- URL http://www.ezomaitake.com/
- Matsumae Castle is a Japanese style castle located in Matsumae town inside Oshima Subprefecture Promotion Bureau and was also called Fukuyama Castle. Along with Ishida Castle, it is one of the last castles in Japan, and is also the only Japanese-style castle in Hokkaido.
- The temple was opened in 1625 (Kanei 2). Having survived the Boshin War, it is valuable in that the original buildings from the Edo period still remain standing. The castle consists of the main hall, ”kuri (kitchen)”, ”somon (gate)”, ”shoro (bell tower)” and storage. The main hall and ”kuri” were built in 1842 (Tempo 13) and have been designated Important Cultural Property.
- The Trappist Monastery is a monastery of the Strict Cistercian party (Trappist Group), a Catholic sect. In Japan the name usually refers to the Virgin Trappist Monastery at the lighthouse located in Hokkaido Hokutoichi Mitsuishi (Watashima Itsukushi). Females are forbidden to enter.
- URL http://www.trappist.or.jp/
Hakodate Morning Market
- Hakodate Morning Market is one of three large markets in Hakodate. It is a wonderland filled with famous Hokkaido Crab, restaurants, and fruit and vegetable markets. The Free Market and Nakashima Kenbai is a local favorite, as well as a popular tourist spot. Many people visit to purchase seasonal ingredients, fresh fish and vegetables, and souvenirs.
- URL http://www.hakodate-asaichi.com/
Villa Concordia Resort & Spa
- ”The ultimate overnight experience, at your own villa”. Villa Concordia Resort & Spa is located in Nanbuzaka near Motomachi Park in Suehiro-cho. The resort presents a Michelin 1 star French restaurant, and the best spa facilities in Hokkaido. It is a resort style hotel which will add extra value to your trip.
- URL http://villa-concordia.com/
- Umeno Sushi is located on Sakura dori in Hakodate, famous for its cherry blossoms. Uses seasonal ingredients from Funka Bay and Hakodate. The chef’s “Omakase “ (chef’s choice) costs 3,675 yen, allowing you to thoroughly enjoy the fresh fish and seafood from Hokkaido at an affordable price.
- URL http://umenozushi.co.jp/
- Hakodate Wine aims to make ”Japanese Wine” that has affinity for the Japanese palate. They have over 20 years of history in making the recently popular organic wine, and have a state of the art brewing facility to crush and separate raw grapes. ”Budokan Honten (Main Building, Wine House)” also has free tasting for over 10 different wines, and sells limited vintages that are only available for purchase at the winery.
- URL http://www.hakodatewine.co.jp/
Hakodate Kouno LABO
- Hakodate area is known as the pioneer for agriculture and livestock in Hokkaido. “Hakodate Kohno Kosha LABO Ltd” was founded as a way to secede from the a production system that placed priority on efficiency rather than quality. The base product of the company is milk from cows grown by livestock farmers in the Izumo area in Hokkaido. They feed the cows with Non-GM, PHCF (grass that is not sprayed with chemicals after the harvest). The beauty and the wealth of the land connects the grass, the cows, the milk, and humans in a single loop.
- URL https://www.hakolabo.jp/
- Trappistine Monastery is the common name for the ”Temple of the Angel’s Virgin Trappistine” in the outskirts of Hakodate, Hokkaido and is a Trappist Group (Strict Cistercian Group) monastery for women. It is also known as an ”angel’s garden”. It is the first women’s monastery in Japan. Males are forbidden to enter.
Hakodate Fisheries Cooperative, Spear Squid
- The harbor of Hakodate was one of the first to open to foreign trade, and has continued to develop as an entry point for the northern region as well as a base for the fishing industry in the northern oceans. Hakodate Fisheries Cooperative provides high quality products from the ocean via Hakodate, one of the best harbors in Hokkaido. They deliver delicious treasures from the ocean such as spear squid, salmon, octopus, sea urchin, ”kombu” and ”gagome kombu” to destinations all throughout Japan.
Enoteca La Ricolma
- Italian restaurant in Tomioka Town in Hakodate. Dinner is by reservation only, and you can select a course menu priced at 6000 yen or 8900 yen. Dishes use mainly products from Hokkaido, and wines can also be recommended for the best pairing.
Mount Hakodate Observation Deck
- The night view from the top of Mount Hakodate is a very popular tourist attraction. The best time is 30 minutes after sunset. The view of the town lit with the setting sun gradually transforming into the evening light is very romantic and beautiful. There are 6 ways to get to the top of the mountain, and the main route by ropeway only takes 3 minutes.
Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse
- Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse is a group of red brick warehouses located in Hakodate City, Hokkaido and is managed and operated by Kanemori Shosen Co., Ltd. Kanemori Shosen was started by Kumajiro Watanabe, a businessman from Oita Prefecture who opened ”Kanemori Yobutsuten” in the Meiji era. Currently it is a sightseeing spot with a shopping mall, bars and restaurants. This area is designated as Important Traditional Buildings and the street view is designated as Hokkaido Heritage.
Hakodate St John’s Church
- This is the oldest Episcopal Church in Hokkaido. The current building was finished in 1979 (Showa 54). There is a cross engraved on the white wall, and the brown roof that sticks out incorporates the architectural style from the medieval European church, and looks like a cross when viewed from the sky.
Hakodate Orthodox Church
- Hakodate Orthodox Church was founded when the first Russian consulate in Japan was built in 1858 (Ansei 5). In 1859 (Ansei 6), the first Russian consul, Goshkevich secured the site of the current church for the Russian consulate to be built. The first Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Japan ”Restoration of the Lord” was built in 1860 (Ansei 7).
Glassware – Mitsunobu Sagawa
- Mitsunobu Sagawa is a glass artist living in Otaru City, Hokkaido. After graduating from Aichikenritsu Matsuyamaminami High School, Design Department, he started working for Sanyu Glass Art Ltd. In 1973 he won the ”Mayor Award” at Osaka Art and Craft Exhibition. In 1979, he was the key member in the creation of The Glass Studio in Otaru. His signature pieces include ”Promise 2012”and ”Origin”.
- 2-16-16 Mogami, Otaru, Hokkaido (The Glass Studio in Otaru)
Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward
- Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward is located on a hill overlooking the Hakodate Harbor and was built in Meiji 43 (1910) with beautiful bluish grey and yellow contrasting colors in the symmetrical Colonial Style. The Town Hall was one of the most modern buildings at that time and is still quite elegant, especially when viewed from the bottom of the hill. It is considered the landmark of Motomachi.
- Koryuji Temple is a temple of the Sotoshu sect located in Hakodate, Hokkaido. It is the oldest temple in Hakodate. The gate and the main hall have a historical feel, and has an impressive presence.
”Shippo” (cloisonne ware) – Ms. Fusayo Hasegawa
- ”Shippo” is a type of metalwork and is a traditional Japanese art. Ms. Hasegawa studied with Terukazu Tanaka, and is a ”shippo” artist creating pieces in Hakodate. She has won many awards including ”shoreisho” at the 45th Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition.
Sapporo Clock Tower/ Important Cultural Property
- The official name is ”Former Sapporo Agricultural College Military Hall”. The Agricultural College is what is now Hokkaido University, and it was founded in 1876 to cultivate leading pioneers in Hokkaido. Embujo (Clock Tower) was created by recommendation from Dr. Clark in 1878 as a Central Hall for Army Training, Entrance Ceremony and Graduation Ceremony. Since opening, it has witnessed the changes in people’s lives as well as the city of Sapporo
- 2 Kita-1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://sapporoshi-tokeidai.jp/english/
- Nukumi was awarded 3 Michelin stars and is a top Japanese restaurant in Hokkaido. They gather delicious ingredients from all over Japan, creating delicious dishes with their professional skills.
- Dining Sapporo 3F, 3-3 Minami 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hokkaido Former Government Office/ Important Cultural Property
- Hokkaido Former Government Office is a western style brick building designated as an Important Cultural Property. It is also called ”Old Government Office”, ”Hokkaido Red Brick City Hall” and ”Red Brick Building” and has been cherished by the locals to this day. The building is open to the public as Official Documents Library, exhibiting and conserving information related to the development of Hokkaido. A portion of the building is also being used as meeting rooms for the adjacent current City Hall.
- 6, Kita 3-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Grain Merchant, ”Beniya Hasegawaten”
- ”Beniya Hasegawaten” was founded by first generation Shigeru Hasegawa in 1926. During the first years, they sold not only beans and other daily products, but also wild animals (fox, mink, skunk, rabbit, bear etc.) caught by farmers. Now, they sell mostly local varieties of beans, very few of which are still in existence.
- 2-14 Kotobuki-cho, Engaru-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://beniyahasegawa.cart.fc2.com/
- Kanehiko is a ”kamaboko” store in Sapporo established in Taisho 7. They have been preserving the traditional Japanese method of making ”kamaboko” and other minced products for about 90 years, also preserving the taste of old traditional ”Kamaboko” by not using any preservatives.
- 1-2-26 Higashi Sapporo 6-Jo, Shiroishi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kanehiko.jp/
Charcoal BBQ Hassen 2nd branch
- A salt flavored Genghis Khan restaurant in Sapporo. They serve selected quality lamb chuck meat flavored with a special salt. The flavor of the meat is emphasized by grilling the meat with ”binchotan” coal. The best way to eat the popular dish ”gyutoro don”, is to use the optional wild ”wasabi”.
- Bestol Minami Ohdori, 13-4-62, Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hoshino Resort, Netsukikyu
- You can experience the sensation of floating as the powerful blast of the burner lifts the hot air balloon off the ground. Guests can enjoy a 5 minute hot air balloon ride with a panoramic view of the Tomamu area.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.snowtomamu.jp/
Hoshino Resort, Unkai Terrace
- The vast nature of Tomamu creates the mystic world of ”Unkai”. Unkai (sea of clouds) is like a gorgeous painting that occurs only when the geographical and climate conditions are just right. A 13 minute gondola ride will take you to a view that exceeds your imagination. The gorgeous panoramic view of Hidaka and Tokachi mountain ranges open up in front of you with the sea of clouds that is never the same.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.snowtomamu.jp/unkai_terrace/
Hoshino Resort, Chapel on the Water
- World famous architect Tadao Ando designed this church to blend with nature. You can feel ”water, light, greenery, wind” in the architecture. The water flows over the entire façade of the altar, and the magical service puts visitors in a holy state of mind.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.waterchapel.jp/
- Originally Asahara Glass founded in 1901. In the early days, the company produced oil lamps, a daily necessity. They later continued to produce ”glass rooted in people’s everyday life” for that period, including floating buoys for fishing and milk bottles. Now, they not only produce glassware but also operate 8 glass retail stores, 3 liquor retail stores, 4 cafes and restaurants. The 3rd store ”sangokan” is designated as historical building in Otaru city.
- 7-26 Sakai-cho, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitaichiglass.co.jp/
L’Auberge de L’ll Sapporo
- The freestanding L’Auberge de L’ll Sapporo is located in the Maruyama area in Sapporo amongst natural surroundings that is beautiful each season. Following the idealism of ”local product, local consumption” from their main restaurant in Alsace, they serve top quality French cuisine using the best ingredients from Hokkaido with skilled technique.
- 28-3-1 Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hiramatsurestaurant.jp/eng/aubergedelill-sapporo/
Cross Hotel Sapporo
- Their concept is ”a hotel, but not just a hotel”. Cross Hotel Sapporo is proud to be an icon of the community. The hotel acts as the information source for regional development, nurturing and spreading the Hokkaido brand.
- 2-23 Kita 2-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.crosshotel.com/sapporo/
Shogetsu Grand Hotel
- Founded in 1934. The name ”Shogetu” relays their message of the ”Japanese flag” that continues to flutter in the wind no matter the circumstances. All the guest rooms face the Jozankei River, and the hotel is ideally located not far from the city center of Sapporo. The hotel is suitable for overnight stays as well as day trips with their Japanese ”kaiseki” cuisine and flowing hot springs.
- 3-239 Jozankei Onsen Higashi, Minami-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.shogetsugrand.com/
Dyeing and Weaving – Ms. Chikako Asada
- A dyeing and weaving artist born in Sapporo. Ms Asada studied oil painting at Sapporo Otani Junior College, Art department. Afterwards, she started natural dyeing and weaving. She is self taught and has been exhibiting picturesque pieces with her imaginary landscape designs. She won top honors at the ”Natural Dyeing Biennale in Aichi” in 2009. She has been selected every year since 2004 to exhibit at ”Japan Dyeing and Weaving Exhibition”.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://sapporocco.net/asada_chikako/
- Domaine Takahiko is a plantation that was started to make wine in the Nobori area in Yoichi town, Hokkaido. There are about 9000 Pinot Noir trees which are managed using the Bio technique. There is also a small wine brewery modeled from a barn on the premises, and they aim to create natural wine that ”can only be made by a farmer”.
- 1395 Noborimachi, Yoichi, Yoichi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takahiko.co.jp/
Hotel Neuschloss Otaru
- Hotel Neuschloss Otaru is located at the tip of a cape, surrounded by the nature of Niseko, Shakotan, and Otaru Kaigan Quasi-National Park. From the outside, the architecture is similar to a Viennese castle ”floating in the sky”. All rooms have an ocean view and outdoor bath, and guests can enjoy the changing scenery as the ocean turns red with the sunset, or the water shines with the rising sun. Enjoy a relaxing moment of a getaway for grown-ups while being surrounded by nature.
- 3-282 Shukutsu, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.neuschloss.com/english/
Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art
- 35 years of history as one of the largest general museums in Hokkaido. The Main collection includes ”Art of Hokkaido”, ”Pascin and Ecole de Paris”, and ”Glass Art”. They also hold a variety of special exhibitions and proactively work on spreading Hokkaido art.
- 17 Kita 1 Jonishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/knb/
Hazel Grouse Manor
- A Georgian style hotel (an English style of architecture and furniture during the reign of George I to IV) filled with furniture and ornaments that the owner himself purchased in Europe. A hotel equipped with a relaxing lounge, English style bar, and a wine cellar with a great selection of wine.
- 116- Nijibetsugenya 65-Sen, Shibecha-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hazelgrouse.com/en/
Leather Artist – Handmade leather workshop ”cagra” Yasuzo Higuchi
- ”cagra” is a specialized store for handmade shoes. He mainly uses a traditional technique called ”Hand Sewn Welted technique”to create shoes. He creates leather shoes tailored to each customer with careful craftsmanship at every step from measuring, making the wooden mold and fitting.
- Iwasa Building 3rd Floor, 5-5 Kita 3-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://cagra.net/
Fukuyama Brewery Co., Ltd
- Established in Meiji 24. A well established manufacturer of seasonings. Tomoe’s ”miso ”and soy sauce uses natural underground water from Ishikari River, and other materials from Hokkaido such as seaweed from Hidaka, all of which are blended with exquisite balance.
- 2-4-1 Inahocho, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tomoechan.jp/
JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo
- JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo has the convenience of being located next to Sapporo Station, combined with the comfort of a resort hotel. The property caters to many uses with its hotel, restaurant, spa, wedding and banquet facilities.
- 2-5 Kita 5-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.jrhotels.co.jp/tower/english/
Otaru Music Box Museum
- The building of the Otaru Music Box Museum was created in the 45th year of Meiji by one of the largest rice traders in Hokkaido as their headquarters. The Museum is made up of 2 buildings, one red brick and the other stone. The interior of the brick building is a nostalgic space that stands out. Visitors can purchase different types of music boxes.
- 4-1 Sumiyoshi-cho, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.otaru-orgel.co.jp/english/e_index.html
Otaru City Museum of Art
- Otaru City Museum of Art collects information, preserves and exhibits pieces by artists affiliated with Otaru City. The collection includes, Tokan Fudeya, a Japanese painter born in Otaru, and Noboru Hasegawa, Kenkitchi Kodera and Saburo Kudo.
- 1-9-5 Ironai, Otaru, Hokkaido
Art Forest/ Sapporo Art Park Center
- Sapporo Art Park Center is located in the southern part of Sapporo, Hokkaido in a multi cultural facility Sapporo Art Forest. They collect work from artists affiliated with Sapporo and Hokkaido, as well as modern art from Japan and overseas. They also conduct research about art.
- 2-75 Geijyutuno Mori, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://artpark.or.jp/en/
Hokkaido Prefectural Migishi Kotaro Museum
- Hokkaido Prefectural Migishi Kotaro Museum honors Sapporo born painter Kotaro Migishi, and collects and exhibits about his work. Many art pieces with butterfly and shell motifs are on display.
- 15 Kita 2-Jonishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/mkb/english.htm
Sapporo Grand Hotel
- Conveniently located adjacent to the underground walkway at Sapporo station. It is also located in the middle of ”Sapporo”, the center of Hokkaido, making it convenient for business and sightseeing. They are famous for their breakfast featuring fresh local vegetables and seafood.
- Kita 1-Jo Nishi 4, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.grand1934.com/
Ceramic Artist/ Yu Nakamura
- Born in Bihorocho, Hokkaido. Nakamura graduated from Kyoto Municipal Institute of Industrial Research (Major in Kiln department) in 1999. He has won numerous awards since receiving honorable mention at the Japan Ceramic Exhibition in 1985. Born in Hokkaido, his work has a delicate beauty reminiscent of white snow covered fields.
- 169-7 Makomanai, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hoshino Resort, Risonare Tomamu
- Risonare Tomamu is a family resort for adults. It is located in the center of Hokkaido, north of the Hidaka mountain range surrounded by a lush forest. All rooms are suites with more than 100㎡ of space. In harmony with nature, staying at this hotel is like living in a forest.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.risonare-tomamu.com/
FURANO NATULUX HOTEL
- ”NATULUX HOTEL” meshes nature with relaxation. While conveniently located in front of Furano train station, you can also experience the wilderness of Furano with the rural scenery spreading out before you. From the hotel, Asahigaoka Park, Torinuma Park and Lavender field is only a 15 minute car ride away. It is also a popular skiing destination.
- 1-35 Asahi-cho, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.natulux.com/lp/english/
Asahikawa Grand Hotel
- Asahikawa Grand Hotel is a great base for sightseeing in Hokkaido whether it be the Asahikawa area, Asahiyama Zoo, Furano or Biei. The hotel also has a reception hall, restaurants, and wedding facilities, catering to both business and pleasure.
- 6-Jodori 9, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.asahikawa-grand.com/
Hotel Taisetsu, Wabo Yukihana and Yukihotaru
- ”Hotel Taisetsu” in Sounkyo Onsen is a fully equipped ”onsen” hotel with ”Tenka no Yu - outdoor hot spring in the valley”, ”Taisetsu no Yu - communal bath with a view” and ”Chinita no Yu - western style communal bath”. The guest rooms also cater to different needs with ”Wabo Sekka - Special Floor” and ”Yuki Hotaru - Neo Japanese Modern floor”.
- Sounkyo, Kamikawa-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hotel-taisetsu.com/
- The concept of Furano Fica is ”to enrich your trip and your life”. The property is filled with delicate French cuisine like a beautiful painting, violin music with the theme of Furano, and modern art of Hokkaido that adds color to the interior. This is a property where you can experience the full appeal of Furano with all your senses.
- Gakudensanku, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.jyozankei-daiichi.co.jp/furano/
Furano Resort Orika
- Rural scenery as far as you can see, under the expansive sky. The Taisetsu mountain range that seems to go on forever. These represent the beauty of Orika, located in the middle of nature. The super-size window covering the entire wall will allow you to fully enjoy the dramatic view with your whole body. It is a resort hotel for adults to enjoy Hokkaido.
- 17 Nakafurano Nishi 2-Sen Kita, Nakafurano-cho, Sorachi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://furano-orika.com/
Nibutani Art Center (inside Biratori-cho Ainu Cultural Museum)
- A museum offering a comprehensive and technical information about the Ainu tradition. The collection includes Important Tangible Folk Cultural Property ”Ainu living utensil collection from Nibutani, Hokkaido and neighboring areas” and other Ainu items, ”Chise-gun” which is designated an Important Cultural landscape, numerous audiovisual materials and related books, etc.
- 61-6 Nibutani, Biratori-cho, Saru-gun, Hokkaido
Biratori-cho Agricultural Cooperative, Executive Director Hiroshi Nakayama (Biratori Tomato/ Momotaro)
- Biratori town is the largest producer of tomatoes in Hokkaido, and they are active in tomato cultivation. They produce a variety called ”Momotaro” which is shipped all over Japan as ”Biratori tomato”. This variety is not disease tolerant and is hard to cultivate, but is delicious with a high sugar content, so demand is growing every year.
- 121-7 Nina, Biratori-cho, Saru-gun, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist/ Kotaro Ono
- Kotaro Ono is a ceramic artist who uses Celadon and ”Oji-glaze” to create his pottery. His studio is located in Takigawa City which is surrounded by nature, and the adjacent café displays his beautiful pieces with soft hues and curves, including containers for daily use.
- 832-1 Ebeotsu-cho, Takigawa, Hokkaido
- Limited brew ”Tsurunuma” is a flagship wine of Hokkaido which is brewed from grapes harvested late in the season at their own farm, Tsurunuma Winery Farm. The wine has been acknowledged for its excellent quality at wine competitions. Quality control is maintained by hand picking the grapes and observing strict management guidelines at the brewery. It is the highest quality of wines with the fragrant aroma of different grape varieties, and a light, delicate touch to the palate.
- 428-17 Osatsunai, Urausu-cho, Hokkaido
- Furano Marche is a facility based on the Furano City Central Revitalization Plan. It consists of 4 zones - ”Farmers Market Ogal”, ”Sweets Café Savor”, ”Furano Produce Center Arjun” and ”Take Out Shop Fura-dish”, and fulfills the important role of communicating information to ”Get to Know Furano”.
- 13-1 Saiwai-cho, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furano.ne.jp/marche/top.asp
Furano Cheese Factory
- The cheese factory is surrounded by beautiful birch trees, and visitors can observe cheese making and maturation through glass windows. The shop on the 2nd floor has a tasting corner and sells cheese and confectionary made with the milk and butter produced on-site. It is a factory that can be enjoyed by children as well as adults.
- Naka 5-ku, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furano-cheese.jp/
Furanoshi Budokaju Research Institute
- Furanoshi Budokaju Research Institute was established on April 1st, Showa 47 by Furano City in order to stimulate agriculture by cultivating grapes for winemaking. The climate and land of the Furano region is similar to the birthplace of wine - Northern Europe - making it ideal for grape cultivation. The combination of these conditions and excellent brewing technology gave birth to ”Furano Wine”.
- Shimizuyama, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furanowine.jp/
Takeda Farm, Chiharu Takeda (Etto Potato ”Red Andes”)
- Takeda Farm, located at the foot of the Taisetsu Mountain range, has been farming with organic fertilizer in order to reduce agricultural fertilizer for 25 years. The ”Etto Potato” that Chiharu Takeda makes is higher in sugar content than standard potatoes, and has a smoother taste. This is due to the low temperature maturation achieved by storing the potatoes which are harvested in the autumn, in an underground cellar over the winter.
- Bieikyowa, Misawa, Biei, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
Blue Pond of Biei
- Biei’s ”Blue Pond”, as its name suggests, has a delicate blue color that changes with the season and weather. The blue is due to the high level of aluminum contained in the water flowing from the Iouzawa River and Shirohige Fall mixing with the water from Biei that forms a particle called ”Colloid”. When the sun hits the particle, it looks blue from afar. This mysterious color attracts many tourists from Japan and abroad.
- Shirogane, Biei-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
Hokkaido Asahikawa Museum of Art
- The Doritsu Asahikawa Museum of Art opened in Tokiwa Park as a center of art and culture for the northern district in July, Showa 57. Since this area has an abundance of forest resources, resulting in a very active furniture and woodworking industry, the museum collects wooden art pieces. In addition, paintings, lithographs, wood carvings, and craftwork from artists affiliated to the Northern area are also archived.
- Tokiwa Park Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/abj/top.htm
Hokkaido Traditional Art and Craft Museum
- Hokkaido Traditional Art and Craft Village is surrounded by Mount Taisetsu and is located on a hill overlooking the city of Asahikawa. The Village consists of 3 buildings, ”Yoshiyuki Weaving and Craft Center” exhibiting hand woven crafts, ”International Textile Museum” with excellent textile products from around the world, and ”Snow Museum” which expresses Mount Taisetsu in the structure and exhibits.
- 3-1-1 Minamigaoka, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
Takahashi Kogei (Asahikawa Woodworking)
- Takahashi Kogei has a studio in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, an area with plenty of wood resources where woodworking is popular. A wooden glass about 2mm thin using ”Senzai” wood from Hokkaido is gentle on the mouth when used, and is a long-selling product of Takahashi Kogei.
- 2-5 5Jo Nishi9, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.d-department.com/jp/takahashi
Fratello Di Mikuni
- Fratello Di Mikuni has a majestic close-up view of Taisetsu Mountain. A French restaurant created by the French cuisine master; Kiyomi Mikuni and Hokkaido-Italian chef Hideki Horikawa. All the ingredients are selected from local products, and guests can enjoy the highest quality cuisine that can only be experienced in this location.
- Kikusui Asahigaoka, Kamikawa-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://fratello-di-mikuni.com/english/index.php
Glass/ Ryo Nishiyama
- Ryo Nishiyama is a blown glass artist who has his studio ”glashaus” in Naganuma City, Hokkaido. With masterful hand-blown technique, he creates products that are simple yet warm, and has won numerous awards to date.
- 5, Higashi 10-Sen Minami, Naganuma-cho, Yubari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kuripa.co.jp/cgi-bin/ag/ag_personal.cgi?lang=ja&id=153
Ebetsu City Ceramic Art Center
- Ebetsu City Ceramic Art Center intertwines the ceramic culture of Hokkaido. In the permanent exhibit room, ceramics are on display according to area and era. Pottery by local artists residing in Ebetsu are sold at the ceramic store. Here you can purchase mugs and plates that can be enjoyed for day to day use.
- 114-5 Nishinopporo, Ebetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.ebetsu.hokkaido.jp/site/ceramic/
Crispy Crepe/ Santa Chubo
- The crème caramel from Aoyama Chubo is made by carefully blending ”Machimura Milk” from Ebetsu, ”Jersey Milk” from Tokachi also known as the golden milk, fertile eggs from Yuni Town known for free range chicken, and sugar beet from Eastern Hokkaido. It is certainly the Golden Creme Caramel with the flavors of the top quality Hokkaido produce concentrated into each serving.
- 25-18 Bokujo-machi, Ebetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.aosanta.jp/
Tapu Kopu Farm, KONDO Vineyard Ryosuke Kondo
- Kondo Vineyard is actually a farm in the Sorachi area of Hokkaido, growing mainly grapes for wine. Since opening the vineyard in 2007, they continue to cultivate grapes without using chemical fertilizers. The wine produced here is rare because of the limited production, and sells out each vintage quickly sells out.
- 842-13 Kawanai, Mikasa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www10.plala.or.jp/kondo-vineyard/
Kyu Hanada Family House
- This house is the northernmost National Important Cultural Property in Japan. Created in Meiji 38 in order to accommodate herring fisherman. It is the largest farm house in Hokkaido and in Heisei 13, it was certified as Heritage of Hokkaido.
- 35-2 Onishikahirotomi, Obira-cho, Rumoi, Hokkaido
Futaba Co. Ltd,. Noodle ”RuRu Rosso”
- Established in Showa 36, ”RuRu Rosso” was created with a groundbreaking approach to pasta production with the ideal of using local ingredients. Their noodles have the texture similar to Italian pasta, and remains al dente longer. They are proud to have created a pasta which has been recognized as ”Hokkaido High grade Foods 2013”.
- 2-3-6 Sakaemachi, Rumoi, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.futaba-seimen.com/
Shige Aoki（rice：”Yume Pirika”、”Kirara397”）
- Shige Aoki is the chairman of the product promotion for ”Yume Pirika” rice and is active in spreading the brand throughout Japan. ”Yume Pirika” is a quality rice with a nice blend of stickiness and sweetness that has a beautiful polish when cooked.
- 16-105, Nagayama-cho, Asahikawa, Hokkaido