Sapporo Maruyama Zoo
- They breed typical Hokkaido animals such as Ussuri brown bear, Polar bear, Yezo deer and wolves.
- 3-1 Miyagaoka, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.sapporo.jp/zoo/
Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill
- Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill, though located in the large city of Sapporo, gives you a view of sheep herds grazing in the vast pastureland, and is a scenic spot overlooking the Ishikari Plain.
- 1 Hitsujigaoka, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hitsujigaoka.jp/
Historical Village of Hokkaido
- The Historical Village of Hokkaido relocated buildings showing the history of everyday life, industry, economy and culture during the pioneer era, while restoring and preserving the historical sites. It is an open-air museum where you can view the reproduction of the lifestyle at the time, giving you a history lesson of the pioneers in Hokkaido.
- 50-1 Atsubetsucho Konopporo, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kaitaku.or.jp/info/info.htm
Yama No Aquarium
- This is a freshwater fish aquarium located in Rubeshibecho, Kitami city in Hokkaido. Enjoy the water tank with ”waterfall”, the first in Japan; world’s first ”Aquarium of freezing river in the winter”; and large wild fish called Ito.
- 1-4 Rubeshibecho Matsuyama, Kitami, Hokkaido
- URL http://onneyu-aq.com/
- The best spot to view ice drifts. The best season is between February to March.
- Kawamukai Shokotsu-cho, Monbetsu
Shiretoko National Park, Oshinkoshin Fall
- It is also called ”Futami no Taki (Fall with two beauty)” since the river splits into two. The view is spectacular especially during the drift ice season when you can view the impressive white ocean which seems to spread out as far as the eye can see.
- Utoro Nishi, Shari-cho, Shari -gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.shiretoko.asia/oshinkoshin.html
- Located 11km from Teshikaga town and12km from Kawayu Hot Spring, the surface of the lake is 351 meters above sea level, about 20 km in circumference, covering 19.2 square km, and 211.4 meters in depth. It is a crater lake with the world’s top class transparency.
- Teshikaga-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- A huge cobalt blue lake lying in Kussharo crater, the largest in Japan.
- Teshikaga, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- It is a pond in the middle of the mountain containing underground water from Lake Mashu. The name ”Kaminoko (Child of God)” pond comes from the legend that Lake Mashu was called ”Kamuito” which means Lake of God.
- Kiyomizu, Kiyosato-cho, Shari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kiyosatokankou.com/kaminokoike.html
Rikubetsu Space Earth Science Museum
- An observatory open to the public and equipped with Japan’s largest 115cm reflex telescope, four 30 cm binoculars, 15cm binoculars, and four consecutive solar telescopes.
- Rikubetsu-cho, Ashoro-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.rikubetsu.jp/tenmon/
Lake Akan; Ainu Kotan
- Various Ainu classic dance and puppet shows called”Iomante fire festival” are performed at the Lake Akan Ainu Theater ”Ikor”. They also have Ainu-life Memorial Hall where you can learn about the lifestyle and culture of the Ainu people.
- 4-7-19 Akanko Onsen, Akan-cho, Kushiro, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.akanainu.jp/en/
- A Russian restaurant always booked full with reservations. You can enjoy the genuine taste of Russian food such as Pirozhki and Borsch.
- 1-6-28 Minato, Wakkanai, Hokkaido Wakkanai Harbor Market, Yataimura
Mhe Mhe Bakery
- The bakery makes and sells bread made using local Hokkaido wheat flour and natural yeast made from local rye flour. They also try to use local and organic dried fruit, nuts, and milk products as much as possible.
- 233 Minehama, Shari-cho, Shari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://me-me-bakery.com/
- Senshuan is a confectionary store specializing in Japanese confectionary, Western confectionary, chocolate and ice-cream all made in their on-site factory. In particular, their Japanese confectionary has maintained the traditional methods, upholding the value of ”handmade” since the very beginning. This food culture is an important part of traditional Japanese art and craft.
- 3-17 Minami 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://senshuan.co.jp/about/company-profile/honten/
- A very popular pastry store with delicate and colorful cakes made by a patissier trained in France.
- 1-15-20 Otowa-cho, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
Romance Farm, Koki Saito (Asparagus)
- Farming asparagus in Tarumae, Tomakomai City. Developing his own method of cultivating, his asparagus is very fresh and tasty, making it very popular.
- 90 Tarumae, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- Italian restaurant in Sapporo. Enjoy dishes made mainly with products from Hokkaido with the perfect wine to pair with the Italian cuisine.
- Asuka Building 2F, 1, Minami 2-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.canofilo.jp/top.html
- A store specializing in apple pies, founded 28 years ago. The homemade apple pie made with local Hokkaido apples can be delivered from the store in Sapporo to any location in Japan.
- Ohata Building, 1-1, Higashi 8-chome, Kita 28-Jo Higashi, Higashi-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.kagurajyu.com/
- Cape Chikyu is an amazing spot in Muroran where you can view the ocean. The word derives from the Ainu word ”Poro Chikeppu (Cliff which is the parents)”. When you stand at the observatory at Cape Chikyu built on the 130m high cliff, you can really feel that the earth is round, as the name suggests. If the weather is good, you can enjoy the view as far as Cape Esan and Shimokita Peninsula.
- 4-77 Bokoi Minamimachi, Muroran, Hokkaido
Shibazakura Garden by Mishima
- Mishima who lives in Kutchan opens his private garden to the public to show off his ”shibazakura” garden. When in full bloom, the 4 thousand square meter flower garden is filled with red, pink and white flowers.
- 51 Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
Sapporo Agricultural School, Milk Cookie/ Kinotoya
- Using only flour, butter and plenty of fresh milk from Hokkaido, this cookie is luxurious. The light, melt in your mouth sensation and rich milk flavor is the pride of the store.
- 3-7-36 Higashi Inaho 5-Jo, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kinotoya.com/item/nougakkou/en/
Sushi Zen, Main Store
- Sushi Zen, Main Store is located in Maruyama where you can experience the beauty of the four seasons of the northern region. The restaurant has 3 counters ”Snow”, ”Moon”, ”Flower” and a reservation only ”Hanare (Separate building)”. In each room, you can enjoy sushi in a calm, quiet setting.
- 27-2-10 Kita 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sushizen.co.jp/tenpo/honten.php
Sushi Sai, Wakichi
- Located right next to Maruyama Park in Sapporo. A high-end sushi restaurant with only 8 seats and 2 Michelin stars in 2017.
- 25-1-22 Minami 2-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Soya Misaki (Cape Soya)
- Soya Misaki is a cape in the Wakkanai area of Hokkaido. It is the northernmost land in mainland Japan that is easily accessible.
- Soya Misaki, Wakkanai, Hokkaido
Fujishiro Seiji Kagee Museum
- Located on the 1st floor of ”Wooden Toy World - Chitcha World”. The exhibition has 30 shadow paintings and 31 mural paintings. Enjoy a world of fantasy as if in a fairy tale.
- 143-4 Ikutahara, Engaru-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://cha2world.com/shadow.html
Shiretoko National Park, Nature Guide ”Peninsula View Course”
- Guided tours are available with different programs each season enabling you to truly ”enjoy” and ”feel” Shiretoko. Some of the most popular tours are ”guided trek around the 5 lakes of Shiretoko” with a professional guide, and ”drift ice walk” which will bring you back to your youth.
- URL https://www.shiretoko.asia/list_guide.html
Akan Tsuruga Besso Hinanoza
- An Japanese style ”onsen” inn with an outdoor bath in every room, located in the ”onsen” town of Akanko, Hokkaido. The hotel is part of the Tsuruga group and is conveniently located for touring Hokkaido, Kushiro Marsh, Mashu Lake and Shiretoko. Complimentary shuttle service is available daily from Sapporo, Obihiro, Kushiro and Kitami.
- 2-8-1 Akanko Onsen, Akan-cho, Kushiro
- URL https://www.hinanoza.com/en/
Tsurui Ito Tancho Crane Sanctuary
- The ”Tsurui Ito Tancho Crane Sanctuary” was created by the Wild Bird Society of Japan as a base for promoting conservation of the Tancho crane and its habitat. In the sanctuary, you can observe cranes as they gather at feeding stations using telescopes from the field as well as the nature center.
- Setsuri Minami, Tsurui -mura, Akan-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.wbsj.org/en/tsurui/
- The building and interior is designed in harmony with nature, and all 15 rooms have hot springs directly drawn from the source. It is a quiet and peaceful ”ryokan” surrounded by the grand nature of Niseko.
- 76-4 Hanazono, Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://zaborin.com/en
- The guest rooms have a view of the famous oat fields of Biei. On a sunny day, you can also enjoy the spectacular view of Taisetsu Mountain all the way to the Tokachi Mountain range. Biei is famous for the croissants using local flour and butter.
- Dai 2 Hokuei, Biei-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://bi-ble.jp/hotel/
- Established in 2002. The structure is based on the image of a ”kura (cellar)”, and each cellar (guest room) is joined by a corridor. Enjoy the sound of the flowing Asari River and the surrounding woodland landscape, allowing you to come in touch with nature.
- 2-685 Asarigawa Onsen, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.kuramure.com/en/
- A top restaurant certified by the world famous Relais & Chateaux in 2014. You can enjoy French cuisine using produce from Hokkaido while viewing Maruyama Park.
- Lafayette Miyagaoka 1F, 2-1-1 Miyagaoka, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sapporo-moliere.com/
Bourou Noguchi Hakodate
- Bourou Noguchi Hakodate is a luxurious environment which pursues the ”ultimate space for adults to relax”. The ”kaiseki” cuisine using the best seasonal local ingredients is the pride of the inn.
- 1-17-22 Yukawa-cho, Hakodate, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.bourou-hakodate.com/en/
- Michelin Guide Hokkaido 2012 Special Edition 1 star restaurant. The owner goes to the market and farms himself to carefully select ingredients. A restaurant where you can enjoy excellent tempura at the counter.
- 23-10 Suginami-cho, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Furano Deli, Main Store
- A confectionary store located in Furano, famous for its milk custard. The milk products which are made from fresh milk have a different richness each season. Each piece of confectionary has the owner’s strong commitment - ”I want customers to be able to enjoy confectionary with fresh ingredients from Furano and Hokkaido in a casual setting, as if our shop was located next door to your home.”
- 2156-1 Shimogoryo, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.le-nord.com/
Genghis Khan, Daikokuya
- Leading restaurant in Asahikawa City specializing in Genghis Khan. They serve fresh, high quality, tender lamb such as chuck meat from less than 1 year old lamb called ”Raw Lamb”, rib rack called ”Thick Cut Rib”, raw lamb marinated with herb and rock salt called ”Herbed Raw Lamb”. You can enjoy top quality lamb with the restaurant’s special sauce and vegetables from Hokkaido.
- 7 4-Jo Street, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.daikoku-jgs.com/
- Confectionary store ”Kitakaro” is located in the vast landscape of the North. Their popular ”Baumkuchen” is made with flour, egg and whipping cream from Hokkaido, each made carefully by the artisans. Many people from all over Japan come in search of this Baumkuchen.
- 19-2-1 Nishi 1-Jo Kita, Sunagawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitakaro.com/
Yokoshi Fromage Tei
- Their motto in making the cheese is ”Safe and secure for the family to eat”. The cheese is made from only the healthiest dairy cows raised in the rich natural environment of Ashibetsu City. The fresh cheese without preservatives and food coloring has a rich taste, and you can also taste the sweetness of the milk.
- 1077 Honmachi, Ashibetsu, Hokkaido (behind Ashibetsu station)
- URL http://yokoichicheese.com/
- Valore is a ”Natural Food Restaurant of Hokkaido” quietly standing in the beautiful city of Biei surrounded by nature and pine forest. The Italian cuisine with fresh vegetables grown in the northernmost grounds brings out the taste of the ingredients to the utmost, and letting you experience the nature of Hokkaido through your taste buds.
- Kyosei Misawa, Biei, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.biei-valore.com/home.html
- Naraijuku was one of the most prospering post-station towns in Kisoji along the Nakasendo Road. The beautiful streets extend over a 1km range, and is a tourist site reminiscent of Japan during the Edo era.
- Aman Tokyo is an open air resort symbolic of cosmopolitan Tokyo with its mix of traditional culture and modern ambience. The facility has easy access from Tokyo station, and is convenient for sightseeing as well as business.
- 1-5-6 Otemachi, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL https://www.aman.com/resorts/aman-tokyo?utm_source=line&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Amantokyo_season_traffic_prospecting&utm_content=lookalike_W_image_gw2
- Amanemu is a spa resort located within the hills of Ise-Shima National Park, and overlooks the quiet waters of Ago Bay. You can enjoy relaxing in an environment that has combines the history, culture, nature of Ise.
- 517-0403 2165 Hazako Hamajima-cho, Shima, Mie
- URL https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanemu
Tsukagoshiya Shichibee Bekkan Kounkan
- ”Kounkan” is an annex to Tsukagoshiya Shichibee, which started business in the Edo era. The great bath ”Auru no Yu” draws its onsen directly from the renowned natural hot spring ”Ogon no Yu.” A touch of tradition and ambience can be seen all around this Japanese style inn.
- 175-1 Ikaho, Ikaho-machi, Shibukawa-shi, Gunma-ken
- URL http://www.kouunkan.jp/english/index.html
- Japanese style ”onsen” hotel, situated in Nishiyama Onsen in Minamikoma-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture. It opened in 705 AD, and is recognized in the ”Guinness Book of Records” as the oldest accommodation facility in the world. Enjoy the old history of ”onsen”, with hot water welling at the rate of 1630 liters per minute, ranking among the highest in the nation.
- Nishiyama Onsen, Hayakawa-machi, Minamikoma-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL https://keiunkan.co.jp/en/
L’Auberge DE PLAISANCE Sakurai
- 9 room French style inn operated by ”Hiramatsu” which runs several French restaurants. Authentic French cuisine using local ingredients, coupled with the magnificent views of nature from the guest rooms are sure to satisfy your appetite and your soul.
- 2217 Taie, Sakurai-shi, Nara Prefecture 633-0044
- URL http://www.hiramatsuhotels.com/plaisance-sakurai/
Noborioji Hotel Nara
- A small luxury hotel restricted to members. The 12 guest rooms are furnished in a modern style with large windows to allow guests to enjoy the four seasons. Listed in the Michelin guide as a top quality hotel, suitable for adults who want to enjoy a luxurious getaway.
- 40-1 Noborioji-cho, Nara-city, Nara 630-8213
- URL http://noborioji.com/
Suiran Hotel Kyoto, The Luxury Collection
- Luxurious hotel surrounded by the natural beauty of Arashi-yama. ”Kyo-Suiran” restaurant takes advantage of the structural features from the Meiji period with a perfectly groomed garden. Immerse yourself in the refined charm of Japan.
- 12 Susukinobaba-cho, Saga-Tenryuji, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto
- URL http://www.suirankyoto.com/
Shigira Bayside Suite ALLAMANDA
- A Luxury resort located in the southern region of Miyako-jima Island. Guest rooms look out onto a sea of emerald green. The resort offers marine sports and fitness activities as well as a hot spring.
- Shinzato-９２６−２５ Ueno, Miyakojima, Okinawa Prefecture 906-0202
- URL http://www.nanseirakuen.com/allamanda/
Hoshinoya, Taketomi-jima Island
- 10 minutes by rapid ferry from Ishigaki-jima Island. The resort offers privacy in independent buildings with a red brick façade reminiscent of traditional Ryukyu culture. Immerse yourself in the blue ocean and white sand beaches.
- Taketomi, Yaeyama District, Okinawa Prefecture 907-1101
- URL http://www.hoshinoyataketomijima.com/
LOISIR HOTEL & SPA TOWER NAHA
- Located only 7 minutes from Naha airport, Loisir Spa Tower is the only hotel in Naha where you can enjoy natural hot springs in your guest room. The luxurious rooms provide a relaxing atmosphere away from the hustle of Naha city.
- 3 Chome-2-1 Nishi, Naha, Okinawa Prefecture 900-0036
- URL http://www.loisir-spatower.com/
- Every room is a suite, equipped with an open air bath with free flowing hot spring water of Atami from an on-site source. Dinner choices include Japanese cuisine, ”Teppanyaki” or dinner in the suite. Enjoy the luxurious bounties from the sea and the mountains of Atami.
- 11-48 Minaguchi-cho, Atami-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL https://www.atamifufu.jp/eng/
Okuyufuin Kougen Resort Okujuku Buaiso
- Surrounded by the great nature of Okuyufuin, the ”onsen” hotel offers an environment where you can fully relax. Enjoy the lush green of nature during the day, and the star-filled sky at night.
- 1240-32, Yufuincho Tsukawara, Yufu-Shi, Oita
- URL http://okuyufuin.net/buaisoh.html
Hotaru no Nagaya
- Accommodates maximum of 5 groups per day, and all guest rooms are detached annexes. The water quality for the onsen is “alkaline pure sulfur spring”, said to make your skin nice and smooth. A hideaway inn for adults.
- 5206-7 Hirayama, Yamaga-shi, Kumamoto Pref.
- URL http://www.hotarunonagaya.jp/index.html
- Located on a hill overlooking the Ago Bay, the Japanese style inn offers 18 guest rooms in a large plot of land extending over 13,000 ㎡. The ”Basara Original Meal” is a collection of the best ingredients available in the Ise-Shima area, and will definitely make an impression.
- 517-0501 3618-74 Agocho Ugata, Shima-city, Mie
- URL http://www.basaratei.com/index.html
Hoshino Resorts Kai Kinugawa
- Located about 2 hours from Tokyo. Premium ”ryokan” ”Kai” faces the mountain stream of Kinugawa River. The interior is adorned with the traditional craftswork of Tochigi, and has a modern yet relaxing atmosphere. Cherry trees line the front of the great bath where you can enjoy the beautiful blossom while soaking in the hot tub.
- 308 Kinugawa Onsen Taki, Nikko-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL https://kai-ryokan.jp/en/kinugawa/
Tapu Kopu Farm, KONDO Vineyard
- Kondo Vineyard is actually a farm in the Sorachi area of Hokkaido, growing mainly grapes for wine. Since opening the vineyard in 2007, they continue to cultivate grapes without using chemical fertilizers. The wine produced here is rare because of the limited production, and sells out each vintage quickly sells out.
- Located in Obihiro, Hokkaido, this is a shrine worshipping Daikoku for rich harvest, happy marriage and prosperity in business. Recently, the shrine was a model for ”Oezo Shrine” in the manga ”Silver Spoon”.
- Shrine located next to Maruyama Park. In 1869, Hokkaido Jingu was made by the order (”Mikotonori”) from the Meiji Emperor to create a ”Kaitaku Sanshin (Three Gods of Pioneering)” to give ”settlers a place of worship”. Covering about 180,000 square meters, it is known for the beautiful cherry blossoms and is frequented by locals. There is a lot of wildlife, and visitors can observe Ezo squirrels, Northern Fox and wild birds.
Hakodate Magistrate’s Office
- Hakodate was one of the first ports to open to foreigners in Japan. At the end of the Tokugawa period, Hakodate Magistrate’s Office was given the responsibility of providing security for the northern region as well as carrying out foreign negotiations. The spectacular building is the first Western style castle ”Goryokaku” and was dismantled two years after the end of the Hakodate War. After 140 years, the building was reproduced in its entirety, using the highest technology.
- URL http://www.hakodate-bugyosho.jp/
Kunimare Shuzo Ltd.,
- Established in Meiji 15. The secret of its delicious flavor is in the quality of the water. They use underground water that originates from the rich residual snow from the Shobanbetsu mountain range. The ”sake” cellar is open to the public year round, and a tasting area is also available.
- 1-17 Inaba-cho, Mashike, Mashike-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://kunimare-world.jp/index.html
- A zoo where you can observe the ecology of the animals through the various behavioral exhibits. It has a proven record for breeding animals which inhabit cold regions, and for the first time in Japan, they have succeeded in natural breeding of the Polar bear, Amur leopard and Eurasian scops owl.
- Higashiasahikawacho Karanuma, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.asahikawa.hokkaido.jp/asahiyamazoo/
Abashiri Lake Tsuruga Resort, Hokuten no Oka
- A spa resort by Lake Abashiri, Hokkaido. Located at the top of the hill, you can feel the grandeur of nature when you look up at the northern skies or look down at Lake Abashiri. The ”Okhotsk Culture” themed property stimulates all 5 senses with nature and history. At the ”Fire Tower” which was inspired by the tent of the indigenous northern people, enjoy the mystic light reflecting on the hot water of the foot bath.
- 159 Yobito, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hokutennooka.com/en/
ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel, Wakkanai
- A City and Resort Hotel in the northernmost town of Japan. It is popular as a base for touring Rishiri, Rebun and Sarobetsu National Park. At the restaurant, you can enjoy great food using seasonal local ingredients.
- 1-2-2 Kaiun, Wakkanai, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.surfeel-wakkanai.com/en/
Wood artist – Akihiko Muraki
- A woodworking artist residing in Sapporo. In 1989, he founded Craft Fico (a studio) and served as a teacher at a vocational school. His activities are diverse. He was chosen to exhibit for the East Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition between 2003 - 2013. Currently he lectures at the Gyokkodo School of Culture in Susukino, Sapporo as well as continuing his creative work.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Maasa Honda
- Resides in Sapporo City. She started ceramics in 2009 in Sapporo and since then has been making pottery using glaze made out of melon ashes. The ashes give her work a soft hue that is slightly more bluish than the standard porcelain. Her work uses nature and animal motifs, and many female fans are charmed by the cute sophisticated pottery.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://hondamaasa.wixsite.com/tougei/profile
Abashiri Prison Museum / Tangible Cultural Property
- Abashiri Prison Museum is a historical open-air museum operating in the former Abashiri Prison building that was used from the Meiji period and has been preserved and made open to the public. Prison food tastings and guided tours for groups are popular.
- 1-1 Yobito, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.kangoku.jp/multilingual_english/
Hokkaido Museum of Northern Peoples
- Hokkaido Museum of Northern Peoples is the only museum specializing in the Kitamine area, and one of the few ethnographic museums in the world. In addition to the exhibition, they proactively promote research, gather research material, promote education through lectures and seminars, and conduct excavations and ethnographic surveys.
- 309-1 Shiomi, Abashiri, Hokkaido
- URL http://hoppohm.org/english/index.htm
Kawakami Agricultural Experiment Station
- Kawakami Agricultural Experiment Station was established as Chubetsu Crop Testing Laboratory in Meiji 9, and began prototyping and researching agricultural crops. They have developed numerous excellent varieties and cultivation techniques, and now they are conducting experimental studies on rice, farming and horticulture.
- 5 Minami 1-sen, Pippu, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hro.or.jp/en/index.html
Kobayashi Shuzo Ltd., (Kitano Nishiki)
- Kobayashi Shuzo was founded in Meiji 11. They stopped using additives such as saccharides, and is the only brewery in Hokkaido where all products are 100% ”Honjozo”. ”Kitano Nishiki” was created by the first generation master Yazaburo Kobayashi, and as the name suggests, expresses his desire to succeed in Hokkaido. It is a limited edition ”junmaishu” and is so popular that it sells out quickly.
- 3-109 Nishiki, Kuriyama-cho, Yubari, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitanonishiki.com/
Obihiro Centennial Hall
- This is a large multifunctional center located in the Tokachi region which functions as a museum as well as creative activity center. In the permanent exhibition, they introduce the history, industries and nature of Tokachi, as well as an impressive model of a mammoth. At the creative activity center, creative workshops centered around ceramics are available.
- 2 Midorigaoka, Obihiro, Hokkaido
- URL http://museum-obihiro.jp/occm/
Noboribetsu Onsen Kyo Takinoya
- ”Onsen” inn located in Noboribetsu city. The Japanese character ”Ie (house)” in their name symbolizes their desire to provide ”a place of comfort that feels like your hometown”. There is a Japanese garden and outdoor bath where you can enjoy fully relax both mentally and physically.
- 162 Noboribetsu Onsen-cho, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takinoya.co.jp/index.html
The Ainu Museum
- This is an open-air museum that introduces the history and culture of the Indigenous people of Ainu from Hokkaido. It is operated by the Ainu Museum Foundation. Here they have 5000 Ainu folk materials and about 250 items of northern ethnic minorities, of which 800 are permanently displayed. As related materials, it houses about 150 Ainu pictures and documents, and about 7500 books.
- 2-3-4 Wakakusacho, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/
Dyeing – Keisei Shiozawa
- Dye artist who studied under his brother Teruhiko Shiozawa. He is an official member of Japan Kogei Association and the Director of the Hokkaido Research Group, Eastern Japan Branch, Japan Kogei Association. After being awarded top honors at the Shinjin Senshokuten in 1980, he added to his list of awards at The Traditional Craft Exhibition and Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition.
- Eniwa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.yuuzen-shiozawa.com/index.html
Metalcraft Art – Leo Fujisawa
- Metalcraft artist and sculptor. Graduated from Dohto University, faculty of Fine Arts. In 1999 he founded Studio Leo and has been holding solo exhibitions, group exhibitions and art fairs since 2005. It is impressive to see his distinct and sophisticated style in his iron art pieces.
- Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- URL http://leofujisawa.com/
Ainu Traditional craftsman – Rempei Mizuno
- An Ainu wood carving artist, he also operates a gallery exhibiting and selling traditional Ainu handicrafts in Shiraoi town. He is not an Ainu descendent, but an artist who makes wood carving pieces such as trays and small swords, using traditional Ainu techniques.
- Shiraoi- cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
Woodcraft Artist – Hiroaki Shimizu
- Woodcraft artist born in Sapporo in 1973. After graduating from Hokkaido College of Art & Design, he studied the nature of wood and processing techniques at a timber store in Sapporo for about 3 years. In 2007 he began to work independently, producing his own pieces. Since 2009, he has been lecturing part time at The Hokkaido College of Art & Design, Department of Environment Design and Craft Design.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://kagu-shimizu.blogspot.jp/
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Teruko Nakamura
- Born in Bihoro Town, Abashiri in 1933. Ms. Nakamura is the pioneer of women potters in Hokkaido, and has been active since holding her first solo exhibition in 1972. In 1986 she won the Hokkaido Geijutsu Shinsho (Award for New Artist), and in 1989 she won Shoreisho at the Hokkaido Bunkasho (Cultural Encouragement Award). She uses silver coating, ”Nukie”, ”Zogan” (metal inlay) and other highly honed techniques to create tea utensils and dishes.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Auberge Chimikeppu Hotel
- A homey Auberge with only 8 rooms located by Chimikeppu Lake. Serving creative French cuisine using ingredients from Hokkaido. Needless to say, the course menu is delicious, but the beauty and playfulness of the presentation is also amazing. Chimikeppu Lake is 7 km in circumference and surrounded by nature. You can enjoy activities such as canoeing and mountain biking.
- 204 Numasawa, Tsubetsu-cho, Abashiri-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.chimikepphotel.com/
Kawayu Dai Ichi Hotel, Suikazura
- The hotel has a feeling of ”azumashisa = comfort” with the highest quality ”osen” created by nature, and Japanese style ambience that provides a graceful moment. VIP rooms ”Rin” and ”Hana” in the west wing offer Japanese atmosphere combined with western elegance, creating the most luxurious of getaways. The area is surrounded the nature of mountains, lakes and ocean, providing fresh seafood as an abundance of freshly picked vegetables. Enjoy the bounties of nature every season.
- 1-2-3 Kawayu Onsen, Teshikaga-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kawayu.co.jp/en/
Oke Craft Center
- Oke Craft Center, Forest Craft Center was established in 1988 as the main facility for the regional brand ”Oke Craft” in Oketo town. Also involved in nurturing artists and selling Oke Craft products.
- 439-4 Oketo, Oketo-cho, Tokoro-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.town.oketo.hokkaido.jp/kougeihp/
Tokachigawa Onsen Dai Ichi Hotel.
- The Tokachi River flows gently in front of the hotel which also boasts a magnificent view of the natural landscape. The moor hot spring is very unique as it only exists in Tokachi, and is cherished for its special qualities as a ”hot spring for beauty”.
- 12-1 Tokachigawa Onsen, Otofuke-cho, Kato-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.daiichihotel.com/
Hokkaidoritsu Obihiro Museum
- Located in Obihiro; the central city in the Eastern part of Hokkaido and located in the center of Tokachi Plain, the museum is the focal point of cultural communication. The museum has an innovative design that allows you to experience a refreshing encounter with art. They collect artwork by Eastern Hokkaido artists, and modern Western pieces of rural landscapes and farm life, mainly from the Barbizon school.
- 2 Midorigaoka, Obihiro, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/obj/290622top2.htm
Ikeda City Grape, Wine Research Center
- The appearance is similar to an European medieval castle, thus the name ”Wine Castle”. French oak barrels and old vintage wines sleep quietly in the basement wine cellar. On the first floor, local products from Ikeda City such as Tokachi wine can be purchased in the shopping area. Grape vines are planted on the southern slopes, making it a tourist facility where you can learn about the Tokachi wine in detail.
- 83-4 Kiyomi, Ikeda-cho, Nakagawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tokachi-wine.com/foreignlanguage.html
Tokachigawa Onsen Sanyoan
- Japanese style ”onsen” inn located in Tokachigawa Onsen. With only 11 rooms, the property provides top quality service for a select number of guests. The water quality called moor hot spring is very rare in the world. It is rich in moisturizing components and makes your skin silky smooth, so it is popular with female guests.
- 13 Tokachigawa Onsen Minami, Otofuke-cho, Kato-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.sanyoan.com/
- Rokka Forest is a vast landscaped garden that was born from and maintained by Rokkatei’s Patronage activities. On the 100,000 square meter site, ”Tokachi Rokka”(Six flowers: ”Ezorindo”, ”Hamanashi”, ”Oobananoen Reiso”, ”Katakuri”, ”Ezoryukinka” and ”Shiraneaoi”) bloom seasonally, and there are museums in the garden using old houses relocated from Croatia.
- 249-6 Tokiwa Nishi 3 sen, Nakasatsunai, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.rokkatei.co.jp/facilities/index2.html
- Obihiro, Hokkaido is known for its refreshing and grand natural environment. Hokkaido Hotel is an urban resort hotel built with bricks in the midst of the city. The impressive façade is made with high quality brick using clay from Tokachi. Natural materials typical to Hokkaido are used for the interior, creating a comforting and relaxing space.
- 19-1 Nishi 7-Jo Minami, Obihiro
- URL https://www.hokkaidohotel.co.jp/english/
- Takasago Shuzo, formerly known as Kohiyama Shuzo, has been brewing ”sake” in the Northern part of Hokkaido, Asahikawa for one century. The crisp dry ”Kokushimuso”, born in Meiji 50, became a huge hit and the name spread around the whole country. Currently about 20 of its signature labels are sold at general retail stores.
- 17 Miyashitadori, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takasagoshuzo.com/
- Hashimoto Ceramics is a shop specializing in ceramic pottery located in the country town of Shiaoi in Hokkaido. At the gallery shop, warm, handmade pottery made by Hokkaido artists are exhibited and sold. Try your hand at making a kaleidoscope, candle or your original pottery piece at the experience workshop on site.
- 118-146 Takeura, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://84mo10.com/tougeikan/
- The brown brick Hokkaido Museum is a comprehensive museum run by Hokkaido Ward introducing the nature, history, and culture of Hokkaido. It also researches and studies the relationship between the natural environment and people, the culture of the Ainu tribe, and the life of people migrating from Honshu. In addition, they collect and preserve materials that are of importance to the people of Hokkaido, organize exhibitions, hold educational seminars, events and other business.
- 53-2 Atsubetsucho Konopporo, Atsubetsu-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hm.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/en/
- Established in Taisho 5. They give special attention to ”sake without added water”, ”water”, ”air” and ”environment”. The water comes from the Niseko Weiss Mountains runoff and ”sprouting spring water” from Mount Yotei. The cellar is located in a heavy snow area which is suitable for low temperature fermentation.
- 47 Asahi, Kutchan-cho, Abuta-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.nisekoshuzo.com/
Century Royal Hotel
- Century Royal Hotel is connected to JR Sapporo station. You can relax at this gorgeous property, and relieve yourself of any fatigue from your travels.
- Kita 5-Jo, Nishi 5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.cr-hotel.com/
- Chitose Winery was established in 1988. Initially, they began making wine from haskap berry that grows wild in the Chitose area. But now, they also use Pinot Noir and Kellner grapes from contracted farms in Yoichi. Enjoy a factory tour and free tasting, and purchase your favorite wine at the store.
- 1-7 Takadai, Chitose, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.chitose-winery.jp/
Ceramic Artist – Ms. Noriko Tsutai
- Ms Noriko Tsutai, a ceramic artist who has a studio and gallery in Sapporo. Establishing her own style using silver coating and mud painting techniques, her feminine and elegant pottery has gained unmatched popularity.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://tsutainoriko.com/
Premier Hotel Tsubaki Sapporo
- Premier Hotel Tsubaki Sapporo, located in Toyohira-ku, Sapporo is a 13 minute walk from Toyosui Susukino subway station. It is a city resort hotel with a wide range of facilities including accommodations, restaurants, meeting rooms and weddings.
- 1-1-1 Toyohira 4-Jo, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://tsubaki.premierhotel-group.com/sapporo/
Sapporo Park Hotel
- Sapporo Park Hotel is located about 6 minutes by subway from JR Sapporo station. Connected to Nakajima Koen station, it is a city hotel representing Sapporo. Even though it lies in the city center of Sapporo, the vast nature of Nakajima Park is directly below, allowing you to immerse yourself in comfort. It is convenient for sightseeing, business and other purposes.
- Minami 10-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.park1964.com/
Woodcraft Artist – Natsuki Funayama
- Natsuki Funayama is a woodcraft artist born in Hakodate city, Hokkaido. In 2004 he graduated from Hokkaido University of Education, Sapporo branch, Art and Culture department, Art course, woodcraft study group. The following year, he started his creative work using a classroom of an abandoned school as his studio. Using his chisel, Funayama creates pieces that are fine, simple and warm.
Kaneitanaka Shuzo/Tanaka Shuzo Co.Ltd., Kamekouzo
- Kaneitanaka Shuzo was established in 1899 near the Otaru canal. All their materials are locally sourced from Hokkaido. The ”daiginjo” sake ”Takaragawa” uses rice called ”Suisei (Comet)” from Niseko town, and won the gold medal at the National New Sake Appraisal Competition. Apart from making sake, they also make ”mirin”, vinegar and soy sauce using materials from Hokkaido.
- 3-2-5 Ironai, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tanakashuzo.com/
Suizantei Club Jozankei
- A Japanese style hideaway inn with only 14 rooms, providing a getaway for grown-ups. ”Suizantei Club Jozankei” is located in the deep woodlands of Sapporo where you can thoroughly relax amongst the trees and valley of Jozankei. All rooms offer a rich blend of 3 hot springs drawn directly from the source, and the free flowing hot springs is sure to melt away your fatigue.
- 2-10 Jozankei Onsen Nishi, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.club-jyozankei.com/
Nihon Seishu Co. Ltd.
- Established in Meiji 5, originally named Shibata Shuzo, this was the first company in Sapporo to brew ”sake”. Their main products are local ”sake” from Sapporo, Hokkaido - ”Chitose Tsuru”, Yoichi Wine, and ”miso”. ”Chitose Tsuru” uses underground water from Toyohira River and uses only ”ginpu rice” farmed near Shintotsu River. ”Yoichi Wine” is made from grapes from Yoichi, made in Yoichi and deeply rooted in the local area where you can meet the people who are involved in its production.
- 5-2 3-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.nipponseishu.co.jp/
Kitano Homare Shuzo
- The name ”Kitano Homare (Northern Honor)” is based on the desire to have ”people, sake and brewery in the Northern land that can earn high praise”. They are highly popular for the devotion that they put into each drop of ”sake”.
- 1-21-15 Okusawa, Otaru, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist/ Satomi Takahashi
- Born in Hokkaido and residing in Sapporo. Ms. Takahashi was originally interested in food but began making ceramics when she thought ”Wouldn’t it be delicious to eat rice using my own handmade bowl?”. Her dishware is very easy to handle, and you can feel the warmth when you use them.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
Monbetsu Central Hotel
- A hotel in Monbetsu with a view of the Sea of Okhotsk. Here you can enjoy crab, scallops and other fresh seafood as well as Komeiseki Onsen to ease your fatigue.
- 7-1-58 Minato-cho, Monbetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.mombetsu.co.jp/en/index.html
Hotel Okura Sapporo
- A hotel adjacent to Sapporo Odori Park. An easy connection to JR and the subway, and within walking distance of shopping and sightseeing locations. Serving seasonal menus using prime ingredients of the season.
- 5 Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.okura-nikko.com/japan/sapporo/hotel-okura-sapporo/
Kokorono Resort Umino Bettei Furukawa
- 8 minutes by car from JR Noborito station. Their main feature is the outdoor bath with an amazing view that makes you feel like you’re part of the ocean. The Pacific Ocean spreads out right before your eyes, and you can hear the sound of the waves. It is the perfect outdoor bath to truly relax your body and soul.
- 289-3 Kojohama, Shiraoi-cho, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kokorono-resort.com/english/
Shikotsuko Tsuruga Resort Spa, MIZU NO UTA
- Mystic ”Lake Shikotsu” is surrounded by primal forest. The ”Shikotsuko Tsuruga Resort Spa MIZU NO UTA” lies quietly by the lake. The resort hotel allows you to truly enjoy a moment of peace so that you can focus on healing and health.
- Shikotsuko Onsen, Chitose, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.mizunouta.com/
- An Italian restaurant in a quiet residential area. The owner chef, Miyashita, carefully selects ingredients not only from Hokkaido but also around the nation to provide delicate dishes that maximizes the quality of the ingredients.
- Sonia Futagoyama 4F, 30205 Futagoyama, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Opened in 2011 as a sister restaurant to Le Venter. They welcome guests with Limoges plates and Christofle cutleries. You can bring in wine from the wine store next door!
- Brick Building 1F, 4 Kita 2-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://la-brique.com/
- Ristorante Andrea advertises as pure Italian restaurant. Seating is with reservation only and there is no menu. The chef is officially recognized for his true Italian Piemonte regional cuisine which can only be tasted here.
- 3-2-42 Futagoyama, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://ristorante-andrea.com/index.html
- A French restaurant produced by leading chef, Kiyomi Mikuni. You can enjoy the depth and luxury of the food prepared to maximize the true flavors of the seasonal ingredients from Hokkaido. Located in Sapporo Stella Place 9F, directly connected to the station.
- JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo, Stella Place 9F, 5 Nishi 2-chome, Kita 5-Jo, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- French restaurant located in Minami Maruyama, Sapporo, Hokkaido. The best quality French cuisine made by experienced chef Masaaki Yokosuka who was the head chef at “Michel Bras Toya Japon“ in The Windsor Hotel Toya.
- N2 Building B1, 26-3-8 Kita 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.miya-vie.jp/
- A top quality ”Kaiseki” restaurant, “Mieta” is located in the Susukino area of Sapporo. There are only 10 counter seats, offering a quiet, serene ambience. Awarded a Michelin, the restaurant is considered the number one Japanese restaurant in Sapporo.
- 23 Keiwa Building 4F, Minami 5-Jo, Nishi 3, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Pirikarera Hotel is a high-end resort Hotel with natural hot springs in every guest room. All 6 guest rooms are luxurious suites. For dinner, enjoy ”teppanyaki” using local Shiraoi beef from Hokkaido and fresh vegetables.
- 1-3-15 Hinode-cho, Shiraoi, Shiraoi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.pirikarera.com/
- 20min car ride from New Chitose Airport. You can enjoy the grand nature of Hokkaido at Hotel Nidom. Nidom is an Ainu word for ”rich forest” and true to its name, the hotel is located within a 500 thousand square meter forest along with a church, golf course and other facilities.
- 430 Uenae, Tomakomai, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.nidomresort.jp/hotel/english/
Goryokaku Park, Goryokaku Tower
- Goryokaku Tower is an observation tower adjacent to Goryokaku, a special historical site in Hakodate, Hokkaido. Goryokaku Park is a star shaped castle and is designated as a Special Historical Site of Japan. It was the site of the Battle of Hakodate, the last battle during the Boshin War.
- URL http://www.goryokaku-tower.co.jp/
- Esashi Ryotei Gunrai is a high class inn located in the town of Esashi by Oiwake River. Guests can ease their body and souls with the blessings of nature, hot springs drawn directly from the source, and cuisine using local ingredients. There are only 7 guest rooms on this property. Guests can enjoy the luxury of doing absolutely nothing while being immersed in nature and history.
- URL https://www.esashi-kuki.jp/en-top/
Shibuta Sangyo ”Ezo Maitake”
- The biggest characteristic of Maitake mushroom is the crunchiness and the texture. “Ezo Maitake” is an attractive mushroom using selected spores with a thick, meaty cap and big stem that can stand up to wild varieties.
- URL http://www.ezomaitake.com/
- Matsumae Castle is a Japanese style castle located in Matsumae town inside Oshima Subprefecture Promotion Bureau and was also called Fukuyama Castle. Along with Ishida Castle, it is one of the last castles in Japan, and is also the only Japanese-style castle in Hokkaido.
- The temple was opened in 1625 (Kanei 2). Having survived the Boshin War, it is valuable in that the original buildings from the Edo period still remain standing. The castle consists of the main hall, ”kuri (kitchen)”, ”somon (gate)”, ”shoro (bell tower)” and storage. The main hall and ”kuri” were built in 1842 (Tempo 13) and have been designated Important Cultural Property.
- The Trappist Monastery is a monastery of the Strict Cistercian party (Trappist Group), a Catholic sect. In Japan the name usually refers to the Virgin Trappist Monastery at the lighthouse located in Hokkaido Hokutoichi Mitsuishi (Watashima Itsukushi). Females are forbidden to enter.
- URL http://www.trappist.or.jp/
Hakodate Morning Market
- Hakodate Morning Market is one of three large markets in Hakodate. It is a wonderland filled with famous Hokkaido Crab, restaurants, and fruit and vegetable markets. The Free Market and Nakashima Kenbai is a local favorite, as well as a popular tourist spot. Many people visit to purchase seasonal ingredients, fresh fish and vegetables, and souvenirs.
- URL http://www.hakodate-asaichi.com/
Villa Concordia Resort & Spa
- ”The ultimate overnight experience, at your own villa”. Villa Concordia Resort & Spa is located in Nanbuzaka near Motomachi Park in Suehiro-cho. The resort presents a Michelin 1 star French restaurant, and the best spa facilities in Hokkaido. It is a resort style hotel which will add extra value to your trip.
- URL http://villa-concordia.com/
- Umeno Sushi is located on Sakura dori in Hakodate, famous for its cherry blossoms. Uses seasonal ingredients from Funka Bay and Hakodate. The chef’s “Omakase “ (chef’s choice) costs 3,675 yen, allowing you to thoroughly enjoy the fresh fish and seafood from Hokkaido at an affordable price.
- URL http://umenozushi.co.jp/
- Hakodate Wine aims to make ”Japanese Wine” that has affinity for the Japanese palate. They have over 20 years of history in making the recently popular organic wine, and have a state of the art brewing facility to crush and separate raw grapes. ”Budokan Honten (Main Building, Wine House)” also has free tasting for over 10 different wines, and sells limited vintages that are only available for purchase at the winery.
- URL http://www.hakodatewine.co.jp/
Hakodate Kouno LABO
- Hakodate area is known as the pioneer for agriculture and livestock in Hokkaido. “Hakodate Kohno Kosha LABO Ltd” was founded as a way to secede from the a production system that placed priority on efficiency rather than quality. The base product of the company is milk from cows grown by livestock farmers in the Izumo area in Hokkaido. They feed the cows with Non-GM, PHCF (grass that is not sprayed with chemicals after the harvest). The beauty and the wealth of the land connects the grass, the cows, the milk, and humans in a single loop.
- URL https://www.hakolabo.jp/
- Trappistine Monastery is the common name for the ”Temple of the Angel’s Virgin Trappistine” in the outskirts of Hakodate, Hokkaido and is a Trappist Group (Strict Cistercian Group) monastery for women. It is also known as an ”angel’s garden”. It is the first women’s monastery in Japan. Males are forbidden to enter.
Hakodate Fisheries Cooperative, Spear Squid
- The harbor of Hakodate was one of the first to open to foreign trade, and has continued to develop as an entry point for the northern region as well as a base for the fishing industry in the northern oceans. Hakodate Fisheries Cooperative provides high quality products from the ocean via Hakodate, one of the best harbors in Hokkaido. They deliver delicious treasures from the ocean such as spear squid, salmon, octopus, sea urchin, ”kombu” and ”gagome kombu” to destinations all throughout Japan.
Enoteca La Ricolma
- Italian restaurant in Tomioka Town in Hakodate. Dinner is by reservation only, and you can select a course menu priced at 6000 yen or 8900 yen. Dishes use mainly products from Hokkaido, and wines can also be recommended for the best pairing.
Mount Hakodate Observation Deck
- The night view from the top of Mount Hakodate is a very popular tourist attraction. The best time is 30 minutes after sunset. The view of the town lit with the setting sun gradually transforming into the evening light is very romantic and beautiful. There are 6 ways to get to the top of the mountain, and the main route by ropeway only takes 3 minutes.
Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse
- Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse is a group of red brick warehouses located in Hakodate City, Hokkaido and is managed and operated by Kanemori Shosen Co., Ltd. Kanemori Shosen was started by Kumajiro Watanabe, a businessman from Oita Prefecture who opened ”Kanemori Yobutsuten” in the Meiji era. Currently it is a sightseeing spot with a shopping mall, bars and restaurants. This area is designated as Important Traditional Buildings and the street view is designated as Hokkaido Heritage.
Hakodate St John’s Church
- This is the oldest Episcopal Church in Hokkaido. The current building was finished in 1979 (Showa 54). There is a cross engraved on the white wall, and the brown roof that sticks out incorporates the architectural style from the medieval European church, and looks like a cross when viewed from the sky.
Hakodate Orthodox Church
- Hakodate Orthodox Church was founded when the first Russian consulate in Japan was built in 1858 (Ansei 5). In 1859 (Ansei 6), the first Russian consul, Goshkevich secured the site of the current church for the Russian consulate to be built. The first Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Japan ”Restoration of the Lord” was built in 1860 (Ansei 7).
Glassware – Mitsunobu Sagawa
- Mitsunobu Sagawa is a glass artist living in Otaru City, Hokkaido. After graduating from Aichikenritsu Matsuyamaminami High School, Design Department, he started working for Sanyu Glass Art Ltd. In 1973 he won the ”Mayor Award” at Osaka Art and Craft Exhibition. In 1979, he was the key member in the creation of The Glass Studio in Otaru. His signature pieces include ”Promise 2012”and ”Origin”.
- 2-16-16 Mogami, Otaru, Hokkaido (The Glass Studio in Otaru)
Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward
- Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward is located on a hill overlooking the Hakodate Harbor and was built in Meiji 43 (1910) with beautiful bluish grey and yellow contrasting colors in the symmetrical Colonial Style. The Town Hall was one of the most modern buildings at that time and is still quite elegant, especially when viewed from the bottom of the hill. It is considered the landmark of Motomachi.
- Koryuji Temple is a temple of the Sotoshu sect located in Hakodate, Hokkaido. It is the oldest temple in Hakodate. The gate and the main hall have a historical feel, and has an impressive presence.
”Shippo” (cloisonne ware) – Ms. Fusayo Hasegawa
- ”Shippo” is a type of metalwork and is a traditional Japanese art. Ms. Hasegawa studied with Terukazu Tanaka, and is a ”shippo” artist creating pieces in Hakodate. She has won many awards including ”shoreisho” at the 45th Japan Traditional Craft Exhibition.
Sapporo Clock Tower/ Important Cultural Property
- The official name is ”Former Sapporo Agricultural College Military Hall”. The Agricultural College is what is now Hokkaido University, and it was founded in 1876 to cultivate leading pioneers in Hokkaido. Embujo (Clock Tower) was created by recommendation from Dr. Clark in 1878 as a Central Hall for Army Training, Entrance Ceremony and Graduation Ceremony. Since opening, it has witnessed the changes in people’s lives as well as the city of Sapporo
- 2 Kita-1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://sapporoshi-tokeidai.jp/english/
- Nukumi was awarded 3 Michelin stars and is a top Japanese restaurant in Hokkaido. They gather delicious ingredients from all over Japan, creating delicious dishes with their professional skills.
- Dining Sapporo 3F, 3-3 Minami 3-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hokkaido Former Government Office/ Important Cultural Property
- Hokkaido Former Government Office is a western style brick building designated as an Important Cultural Property. It is also called ”Old Government Office”, ”Hokkaido Red Brick City Hall” and ”Red Brick Building” and has been cherished by the locals to this day. The building is open to the public as Official Documents Library, exhibiting and conserving information related to the development of Hokkaido. A portion of the building is also being used as meeting rooms for the adjacent current City Hall.
- 6, Kita 3-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Grain Merchant, ”Beniya Hasegawaten”
- ”Beniya Hasegawaten” was founded by first generation Shigeru Hasegawa in 1926. During the first years, they sold not only beans and other daily products, but also wild animals (fox, mink, skunk, rabbit, bear etc.) caught by farmers. Now, they sell mostly local varieties of beans, very few of which are still in existence.
- 2-14 Kotobuki-cho, Engaru-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://beniyahasegawa.cart.fc2.com/
- Kanehiko is a ”kamaboko” store in Sapporo established in Taisho 7. They have been preserving the traditional Japanese method of making ”kamaboko” and other minced products for about 90 years, also preserving the taste of old traditional ”Kamaboko” by not using any preservatives.
- 1-2-26 Higashi Sapporo 6-Jo, Shiroishi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kanehiko.jp/
Charcoal BBQ Hassen 2nd branch
- A salt flavored Genghis Khan restaurant in Sapporo. They serve selected quality lamb chuck meat flavored with a special salt. The flavor of the meat is emphasized by grilling the meat with ”binchotan” coal. The best way to eat the popular dish ”gyutoro don”, is to use the optional wild ”wasabi”.
- Bestol Minami Ohdori, 13-4-62, Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hoshino Resort, Netsukikyu
- You can experience the sensation of floating as the powerful blast of the burner lifts the hot air balloon off the ground. Guests can enjoy a 5 minute hot air balloon ride with a panoramic view of the Tomamu area.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.snowtomamu.jp/
Hoshino Resort, Unkai Terrace
- The vast nature of Tomamu creates the mystic world of ”Unkai”. Unkai (sea of clouds) is like a gorgeous painting that occurs only when the geographical and climate conditions are just right. A 13 minute gondola ride will take you to a view that exceeds your imagination. The gorgeous panoramic view of Hidaka and Tokachi mountain ranges open up in front of you with the sea of clouds that is never the same.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.snowtomamu.jp/unkai_terrace/
Hoshino Resort, Chapel on the Water
- World famous architect Tadao Ando designed this church to blend with nature. You can feel ”water, light, greenery, wind” in the architecture. The water flows over the entire façade of the altar, and the magical service puts visitors in a holy state of mind.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.waterchapel.jp/
- Originally Asahara Glass founded in 1901. In the early days, the company produced oil lamps, a daily necessity. They later continued to produce ”glass rooted in people’s everyday life” for that period, including floating buoys for fishing and milk bottles. Now, they not only produce glassware but also operate 8 glass retail stores, 3 liquor retail stores, 4 cafes and restaurants. The 3rd store ”sangokan” is designated as historical building in Otaru city.
- 7-26 Sakai-cho, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kitaichiglass.co.jp/
L’Auberge de L’ll Sapporo
- The freestanding L’Auberge de L’ll Sapporo is located in the Maruyama area in Sapporo amongst natural surroundings that is beautiful each season. Following the idealism of ”local product, local consumption” from their main restaurant in Alsace, they serve top quality French cuisine using the best ingredients from Hokkaido with skilled technique.
- 28-3-1 Minami 1-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.hiramatsurestaurant.jp/eng/aubergedelill-sapporo/
Cross Hotel Sapporo
- Their concept is ”a hotel, but not just a hotel”. Cross Hotel Sapporo is proud to be an icon of the community. The hotel acts as the information source for regional development, nurturing and spreading the Hokkaido brand.
- 2-23 Kita 2-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.crosshotel.com/sapporo/
Shogetsu Grand Hotel
- Founded in 1934. The name ”Shogetu” relays their message of the ”Japanese flag” that continues to flutter in the wind no matter the circumstances. All the guest rooms face the Jozankei River, and the hotel is ideally located not far from the city center of Sapporo. The hotel is suitable for overnight stays as well as day trips with their Japanese ”kaiseki” cuisine and flowing hot springs.
- 3-239 Jozankei Onsen Higashi, Minami-ku, Sapporo
- URL http://www.shogetsugrand.com/
Dyeing and Weaving – Ms. Chikako Asada
- A dyeing and weaving artist born in Sapporo. Ms Asada studied oil painting at Sapporo Otani Junior College, Art department. Afterwards, she started natural dyeing and weaving. She is self taught and has been exhibiting picturesque pieces with her imaginary landscape designs. She won top honors at the ”Natural Dyeing Biennale in Aichi” in 2009. She has been selected every year since 2004 to exhibit at ”Japan Dyeing and Weaving Exhibition”.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://sapporocco.net/asada_chikako/
- Domaine Takahiko is a plantation that was started to make wine in the Nobori area in Yoichi town, Hokkaido. There are about 9000 Pinot Noir trees which are managed using the Bio technique. There is also a small wine brewery modeled from a barn on the premises, and they aim to create natural wine that ”can only be made by a farmer”.
- 1395 Noborimachi, Yoichi, Yoichi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.takahiko.co.jp/
Hotel Neuschloss Otaru
- Hotel Neuschloss Otaru is located at the tip of a cape, surrounded by the nature of Niseko, Shakotan, and Otaru Kaigan Quasi-National Park. From the outside, the architecture is similar to a Viennese castle ”floating in the sky”. All rooms have an ocean view and outdoor bath, and guests can enjoy the changing scenery as the ocean turns red with the sunset, or the water shines with the rising sun. Enjoy a relaxing moment of a getaway for grown-ups while being surrounded by nature.
- 3-282 Shukutsu, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.neuschloss.com/english/
Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art
- 35 years of history as one of the largest general museums in Hokkaido. The Main collection includes ”Art of Hokkaido”, ”Pascin and Ecole de Paris”, and ”Glass Art”. They also hold a variety of special exhibitions and proactively work on spreading Hokkaido art.
- 17 Kita 1 Jonishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/knb/
Hazel Grouse Manor
- A Georgian style hotel (an English style of architecture and furniture during the reign of George I to IV) filled with furniture and ornaments that the owner himself purchased in Europe. A hotel equipped with a relaxing lounge, English style bar, and a wine cellar with a great selection of wine.
- 116- Nijibetsugenya 65-Sen, Shibecha-cho, Kawakami-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hazelgrouse.com/en/
Leather Artist – Handmade leather workshop ”cagra” Yasuzo Higuchi
- ”cagra” is a specialized store for handmade shoes. He mainly uses a traditional technique called ”Hand Sewn Welted technique”to create shoes. He creates leather shoes tailored to each customer with careful craftsmanship at every step from measuring, making the wooden mold and fitting.
- Iwasa Building 3rd Floor, 5-5 Kita 3-Jo Higashi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://cagra.net/
Fukuyama Brewery Co., Ltd
- Established in Meiji 24. A well established manufacturer of seasonings. Tomoe’s ”miso ”and soy sauce uses natural underground water from Ishikari River, and other materials from Hokkaido such as seaweed from Hidaka, all of which are blended with exquisite balance.
- 2-4-1 Inahocho, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.tomoechan.jp/
JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo
- JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo has the convenience of being located next to Sapporo Station, combined with the comfort of a resort hotel. The property caters to many uses with its hotel, restaurant, spa, wedding and banquet facilities.
- 2-5 Kita 5-Jo Nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.jrhotels.co.jp/tower/english/
Otaru Music Box Museum
- The building of the Otaru Music Box Museum was created in the 45th year of Meiji by one of the largest rice traders in Hokkaido as their headquarters. The Museum is made up of 2 buildings, one red brick and the other stone. The interior of the brick building is a nostalgic space that stands out. Visitors can purchase different types of music boxes.
- 4-1 Sumiyoshi-cho, Otaru, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.otaru-orgel.co.jp/english/e_index.html
Otaru City Museum of Art
- Otaru City Museum of Art collects information, preserves and exhibits pieces by artists affiliated with Otaru City. The collection includes, Tokan Fudeya, a Japanese painter born in Otaru, and Noboru Hasegawa, Kenkitchi Kodera and Saburo Kudo.
- 1-9-5 Ironai, Otaru, Hokkaido
Art Forest/ Sapporo Art Park Center
- Sapporo Art Park Center is located in the southern part of Sapporo, Hokkaido in a multi cultural facility Sapporo Art Forest. They collect work from artists affiliated with Sapporo and Hokkaido, as well as modern art from Japan and overseas. They also conduct research about art.
- 2-75 Geijyutuno Mori, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL https://artpark.or.jp/en/
Hokkaido Prefectural Migishi Kotaro Museum
- Hokkaido Prefectural Migishi Kotaro Museum honors Sapporo born painter Kotaro Migishi, and collects and exhibits about his work. Many art pieces with butterfly and shell motifs are on display.
- 15 Kita 2-Jonishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/mkb/english.htm
Sapporo Grand Hotel
- Conveniently located adjacent to the underground walkway at Sapporo station. It is also located in the middle of ”Sapporo”, the center of Hokkaido, making it convenient for business and sightseeing. They are famous for their breakfast featuring fresh local vegetables and seafood.
- Kita 1-Jo Nishi 4, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.grand1934.com/
Ceramic Artist/ Yu Nakamura
- Born in Bihorocho, Hokkaido. Nakamura graduated from Kyoto Municipal Institute of Industrial Research (Major in Kiln department) in 1999. He has won numerous awards since receiving honorable mention at the Japan Ceramic Exhibition in 1985. Born in Hokkaido, his work has a delicate beauty reminiscent of white snow covered fields.
- 169-7 Makomanai, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
Hoshino Resort, Risonare Tomamu
- Risonare Tomamu is a family resort for adults. It is located in the center of Hokkaido, north of the Hidaka mountain range surrounded by a lush forest. All rooms are suites with more than 100㎡ of space. In harmony with nature, staying at this hotel is like living in a forest.
- Nakatomamu, Shimukappu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.risonare-tomamu.com/
FURANO NATULUX HOTEL
- ”NATULUX HOTEL” meshes nature with relaxation. While conveniently located in front of Furano train station, you can also experience the wilderness of Furano with the rural scenery spreading out before you. From the hotel, Asahigaoka Park, Torinuma Park and Lavender field is only a 15 minute car ride away. It is also a popular skiing destination.
- 1-35 Asahi-cho, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL https://www.natulux.com/lp/english/
Asahikawa Grand Hotel
- Asahikawa Grand Hotel is a great base for sightseeing in Hokkaido whether it be the Asahikawa area, Asahiyama Zoo, Furano or Biei. The hotel also has a reception hall, restaurants, and wedding facilities, catering to both business and pleasure.
- 6-Jodori 9, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.asahikawa-grand.com/
Hotel Taisetsu, Wabo Yukihana and Yukihotaru
- ”Hotel Taisetsu” in Sounkyo Onsen is a fully equipped ”onsen” hotel with ”Tenka no Yu - outdoor hot spring in the valley”, ”Taisetsu no Yu - communal bath with a view” and ”Chinita no Yu - western style communal bath”. The guest rooms also cater to different needs with ”Wabo Sekka - Special Floor” and ”Yuki Hotaru - Neo Japanese Modern floor”.
- Sounkyo, Kamikawa-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.hotel-taisetsu.com/
- The concept of Furano Fica is ”to enrich your trip and your life”. The property is filled with delicate French cuisine like a beautiful painting, violin music with the theme of Furano, and modern art of Hokkaido that adds color to the interior. This is a property where you can experience the full appeal of Furano with all your senses.
- Gakudensanku, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.jyozankei-daiichi.co.jp/furano/
Furano Resort Orika
- Rural scenery as far as you can see, under the expansive sky. The Taisetsu mountain range that seems to go on forever. These represent the beauty of Orika, located in the middle of nature. The super-size window covering the entire wall will allow you to fully enjoy the dramatic view with your whole body. It is a resort hotel for adults to enjoy Hokkaido.
- 17 Nakafurano Nishi 2-Sen Kita, Nakafurano-cho, Sorachi-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://furano-orika.com/
Nibutani Art Center (inside Biratori-cho Ainu Cultural Museum)
- A museum offering a comprehensive and technical information about the Ainu tradition. The collection includes Important Tangible Folk Cultural Property ”Ainu living utensil collection from Nibutani, Hokkaido and neighboring areas” and other Ainu items, ”Chise-gun” which is designated an Important Cultural landscape, numerous audiovisual materials and related books, etc.
- 61-6 Nibutani, Biratori-cho, Saru-gun, Hokkaido
Biratori-cho Agricultural Cooperative, Executive Director Hiroshi Nakayama (Biratori Tomato/ Momotaro)
- Biratori town is the largest producer of tomatoes in Hokkaido, and they are active in tomato cultivation. They produce a variety called ”Momotaro” which is shipped all over Japan as ”Biratori tomato”. This variety is not disease tolerant and is hard to cultivate, but is delicious with a high sugar content, so demand is growing every year.
- 121-7 Nina, Biratori-cho, Saru-gun, Hokkaido
Ceramic Artist/ Kotaro Ono
- Kotaro Ono is a ceramic artist who uses Celadon and ”Oji-glaze” to create his pottery. His studio is located in Takigawa City which is surrounded by nature, and the adjacent café displays his beautiful pieces with soft hues and curves, including containers for daily use.
- 832-1 Ebeotsu-cho, Takigawa, Hokkaido
- Limited brew ”Tsurunuma” is a flagship wine of Hokkaido which is brewed from grapes harvested late in the season at their own farm, Tsurunuma Winery Farm. The wine has been acknowledged for its excellent quality at wine competitions. Quality control is maintained by hand picking the grapes and observing strict management guidelines at the brewery. It is the highest quality of wines with the fragrant aroma of different grape varieties, and a light, delicate touch to the palate.
- 428-17 Osatsunai, Urausu-cho, Hokkaido
- Furano Marche is a facility based on the Furano City Central Revitalization Plan. It consists of 4 zones - ”Farmers Market Ogal”, ”Sweets Café Savor”, ”Furano Produce Center Arjun” and ”Take Out Shop Fura-dish”, and fulfills the important role of communicating information to ”Get to Know Furano”.
- 13-1 Saiwai-cho, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furano.ne.jp/marche/top.asp
Furano Cheese Factory
- The cheese factory is surrounded by beautiful birch trees, and visitors can observe cheese making and maturation through glass windows. The shop on the 2nd floor has a tasting corner and sells cheese and confectionary made with the milk and butter produced on-site. It is a factory that can be enjoyed by children as well as adults.
- Naka 5-ku, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furano-cheese.jp/
Furanoshi Budokaju Research Institute
- Furanoshi Budokaju Research Institute was established on April 1st, Showa 47 by Furano City in order to stimulate agriculture by cultivating grapes for winemaking. The climate and land of the Furano region is similar to the birthplace of wine - Northern Europe - making it ideal for grape cultivation. The combination of these conditions and excellent brewing technology gave birth to ”Furano Wine”.
- Shimizuyama, Furano, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.furanowine.jp/
Takeda Farm, Chiharu Takeda (Etto Potato ”Red Andes”)
- Takeda Farm, located at the foot of the Taisetsu Mountain range, has been farming with organic fertilizer in order to reduce agricultural fertilizer for 25 years. The ”Etto Potato” that Chiharu Takeda makes is higher in sugar content than standard potatoes, and has a smoother taste. This is due to the low temperature maturation achieved by storing the potatoes which are harvested in the autumn, in an underground cellar over the winter.
- Bieikyowa, Misawa, Biei, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
Blue Pond of Biei
- Biei’s ”Blue Pond”, as its name suggests, has a delicate blue color that changes with the season and weather. The blue is due to the high level of aluminum contained in the water flowing from the Iouzawa River and Shirohige Fall mixing with the water from Biei that forms a particle called ”Colloid”. When the sun hits the particle, it looks blue from afar. This mysterious color attracts many tourists from Japan and abroad.
- Shirogane, Biei-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
Hokkaido Asahikawa Museum of Art
- The Doritsu Asahikawa Museum of Art opened in Tokiwa Park as a center of art and culture for the northern district in July, Showa 57. Since this area has an abundance of forest resources, resulting in a very active furniture and woodworking industry, the museum collects wooden art pieces. In addition, paintings, lithographs, wood carvings, and craftwork from artists affiliated to the Northern area are also archived.
- Tokiwa Park Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.dokyoi.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/hk/abj/top.htm
Hokkaido Traditional Art and Craft Museum
- Hokkaido Traditional Art and Craft Village is surrounded by Mount Taisetsu and is located on a hill overlooking the city of Asahikawa. The Village consists of 3 buildings, ”Yoshiyuki Weaving and Craft Center” exhibiting hand woven crafts, ”International Textile Museum” with excellent textile products from around the world, and ”Snow Museum” which expresses Mount Taisetsu in the structure and exhibits.
- 3-1-1 Minamigaoka, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
Takahashi Kogei (Asahikawa Woodworking)
- Takahashi Kogei has a studio in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, an area with plenty of wood resources where woodworking is popular. A wooden glass about 2mm thin using ”Senzai” wood from Hokkaido is gentle on the mouth when used, and is a long-selling product of Takahashi Kogei.
- 2-5 5Jo Nishi9, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.d-department.com/jp/takahashi
Fratello Di Mikuni
- Fratello Di Mikuni has a majestic close-up view of Taisetsu Mountain. A French restaurant created by the French cuisine master; Kiyomi Mikuni and Hokkaido-Italian chef Hideki Horikawa. All the ingredients are selected from local products, and guests can enjoy the highest quality cuisine that can only be experienced in this location.
- Kikusui Asahigaoka, Kamikawa-cho, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://fratello-di-mikuni.com/english/index.php
Glass/ Ryo Nishiyama
- Ryo Nishiyama is a blown glass artist who has his studio ”glashaus” in Naganuma City, Hokkaido. With masterful hand-blown technique, he creates products that are simple yet warm, and has won numerous awards to date.
- 5, Higashi 10-Sen Minami, Naganuma-cho, Yubari-gun, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.kuripa.co.jp/cgi-bin/ag/ag_personal.cgi?lang=ja&id=153
Ebetsu City Ceramic Art Center
- Ebetsu City Ceramic Art Center intertwines the ceramic culture of Hokkaido. In the permanent exhibit room, ceramics are on display according to area and era. Pottery by local artists residing in Ebetsu are sold at the ceramic store. Here you can purchase mugs and plates that can be enjoyed for day to day use.
- 114-5 Nishinopporo, Ebetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.city.ebetsu.hokkaido.jp/site/ceramic/
Crispy Crepe/ Santa Chubo
- The crème caramel from Aoyama Chubo is made by carefully blending ”Machimura Milk” from Ebetsu, ”Jersey Milk” from Tokachi also known as the golden milk, fertile eggs from Yuni Town known for free range chicken, and sugar beet from Eastern Hokkaido. It is certainly the Golden Creme Caramel with the flavors of the top quality Hokkaido produce concentrated into each serving.
- 25-18 Bokujo-machi, Ebetsu, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.aosanta.jp/
Tapu Kopu Farm, KONDO Vineyard Ryosuke Kondo
- Kondo Vineyard is actually a farm in the Sorachi area of Hokkaido, growing mainly grapes for wine. Since opening the vineyard in 2007, they continue to cultivate grapes without using chemical fertilizers. The wine produced here is rare because of the limited production, and sells out each vintage quickly sells out.
- 842-13 Kawanai, Mikasa, Hokkaido
- URL http://www10.plala.or.jp/kondo-vineyard/
Kyu Hanada Family House
- This house is the northernmost National Important Cultural Property in Japan. Created in Meiji 38 in order to accommodate herring fisherman. It is the largest farm house in Hokkaido and in Heisei 13, it was certified as Heritage of Hokkaido.
- 35-2 Onishikahirotomi, Obira-cho, Rumoi, Hokkaido
Futaba Co. Ltd,. Noodle ”RuRu Rosso”
- Established in Showa 36, ”RuRu Rosso” was created with a groundbreaking approach to pasta production with the ideal of using local ingredients. Their noodles have the texture similar to Italian pasta, and remains al dente longer. They are proud to have created a pasta which has been recognized as ”Hokkaido High grade Foods 2013”.
- 2-3-6 Sakaemachi, Rumoi, Hokkaido
- URL http://www.futaba-seimen.com/
Shige Aoki（rice：”Yume Pirika”、”Kirara397”）
- Shige Aoki is the chairman of the product promotion for ”Yume Pirika” rice and is active in spreading the brand throughout Japan. ”Yume Pirika” is a quality rice with a nice blend of stickiness and sweetness that has a beautiful polish when cooked.
- 16-105, Nagayama-cho, Asahikawa, Hokkaido
Hoshino Resort, Aomoriya
- At ”Hoshino Resort Aomoriya” of Misawa, Aomori Prefecture, enjoy the open-air bath which is the pride of the hotel, and get smooth beautiful skin. The hotel is also convenient to tourist attractions such as Aomori, Hachinohe, Shimokita, Mt. Osorezan, Lake Towada and Oirase Mountain Stream.
- 56 Furumagiyama, Misawa, Aomori
- URL https://noresoreaomoriya.jp/en/
”Bokko” Shoes, K Bokko Inc., Tsutomu Kudo
- ”Bokko” shoes are handmade rubber boots made with natural raw rubber. Its main characteristics are warmth and durability. People in Tohoku and Hokkaido regions have been wearing them when working in the snow. The whole process from cutting to forming is done by highly skilled workers by hand, passing on what is old yet good.
- 1-2 Yokomachi, Kuroishi-shi, Aomori
- URL http://www.k-bocco.com/
Craft Shop ”Yuzuriha”
- Craft shop ”Yuzuriha” collects ”items which can be used in everyday life”. They sell handmade crafts from the Tohoku region which includes (Aomori, Akita and Iwate prefectures).
- 486 Towadakohanyasumiya, Towada, Aomori
- URL http://www.yuzuriha.jp/yuzurhia-top/english-info.htm
Misawa City, Shuji Terayama Memorial Hall
- It took 3 years to build Shuji Terayama Memorial Hall which stores and displays artist Shuji Terayama’s work that were donated by his mother, Hatsu, after his death. Designed by Kiyoshi Awazu, a close friend of Terayama, many people participated in building the Memorial, including Kyoko Kujo and other members of the former Tenjo Sajiki group. It opened in July, 1997.
- 116-2955 Misawa, Misawa, Aomori
- URL http://www.terayamaworld.com/
”Kura” style Japanese Variety Store ”Yoshimura”
- First opened as a ”household utensils store, Yoshimura Shoten” in 1917, with the ”kura” warehouse which was built by the founder. In 1981, they switched from household utensils to Japanese novelty items, and the store was moved to the warehouse in 1992.
- 106 Daikancho, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://www.wa-zakka.jp/
Kameya Leather Shop
- Kameya is a leather shop located in the middle of a hill in the Ichibancho district. Specializing in horse riding gear since it’s foundation, the skills are now being used to make other products such as bags, hence the name ”Hermes of Tohoku”.
- 24 Ichibancho, Hirosaki, Aomori
- The museum stores and displays the large Tachi Neputa used at the Tachi Neputa Festival. The museum also sponsors many events such as Tachineputa building, Tsugaru craft classes, and Goshogawara Neputa Festival music practice sessions.
- 21-1 Omachi Goshogawara-shi Aomori
- URL http://www.tachineputa.jp/
- ”Wanimokko” is a woodcraft workshop which makes made-to-order solid wood furniture and other wood products. Treating trees as nature’s gift, their goal is to use the entire tree to minimize waste.
- 72-2 Sakamoto, Hayaseno, Minamitsugarugun owanimachi, Aomori
- URL http://www.wanimokko.jp/
Towada City Spring Festival
- In the spring, 156 cherry trees bloom all at once along a 1.1 km strip of ”Kanchogai Dori”(Koma Kaido), which was chosen to be one of ”Top 100 Streets in Japan”. The whole town is veiled in soft pink hues, and the beauty of the cherry blossoms stand out even more against the green background of 165 pine trees. Many events are held during the Festival including product exhibitions, and lighting of the cherry blossoms at night.
- Around Nishi Juunibancho, Towada, Aomori
- URL http://www.towada-kankou.jp/event/event-spring.html
- ”This is a deed of God made by hands of Oni, not a place of man”. As Keigetsu Omachi read in his poem, Hotokegaura is full of unique and strange looking boulders and rocks. The place, indeed, does not look like it belongs in this world. Enjoy a panoramic view of the 2 km high Hotoke-no-Hama Buddha from the ocean.
- Within the property of Nuidoishi, Saimurachogo, Shimokitagun, Aomori
- URL http://www.hotokegaura.jp/
Sannai Maruyama Site
- Special Historical Site, ”Sannai Maruyama Site” is one of Japan’s largest Jomon period settlement sites. Studies of the natural environment and the lifestyle of the period are conducted through excavation activities.
- Sannai Maruyama, Aomori, Aomori
- URL http://sannaimaruyama.pref.aomori.jp/english/
Saishoin Temple, Five Story Pagoda
- The Five Story Pagoda of Saishoin Temple, designated as an Important Cultural Property, was planned by the 3rd clan lord, Nobuyoshi Matsudaira with construction started in 1656. Construction was completed in 1667. The tower is said to be the most beautiful pagoda in the Tohoku region. Although it was built in the Edo era, it retains an ancient style with a very steep shaft, giving the tower an elegant, balanced look. In the first level, only the front has a lattice window with round windows on the other 3 sides. From the second level and above, changes has been made to the design of the windows and structural materials for a different touch.
- 63 Doyacho, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://www15.plala.or.jp/SAISYOU/
Takayama Inari Shrine
- Takayama Inari Shrine is said to be the most powerful miracle-working shrine in Aoyama prefecture, enshrining the god of good harvest, maritime safety and success in business. Many visit for a variety of reasons whether it be agriculture, commercial, industrial, fishery, family well-being, recovery or prevention of illness, protection during travel, warding off evil spirits, etc. The ”Thousand Torii”, which can only be seen here, is a splendor worth visiting.
- 147-1 Washinozawa, Ushigatacho, Tsugaru, Aomori
- It is said that during Emperor Ingyo’s reign, a man named Utou Chunagon Yasukata made the Emperor angry, and was sent to live in Sotogahama Beach as punishment. While there, he had a spiritual dream of ”Takakura Myojin”. He then built a small shrine in the tideland and enshrined the Three Gods of Munakata which later became Utou Shrine. There is a collection of art pieces by Shiko Munakata such as ”Picture of Utou family, parent and child”.
- 2-7-8 Yasukata, Aomori, Aomori
- URL http://www.actv.ne.jp/~utou/
- A prestigious shrine, and the only one to worship the 2nd generation Aomori Chief Councilor, Shindo Shobei Masatsugu Okina who promoted Aomori’s development and progress. The shrine is revered broadly across the country for enshrining a guardian deity warding off calamity, misfortune and disease.
- 2-13-5 Nagashima, Aomori, Aomori
- URL http://hirotajinja.or.jp/
Tatehana Quay Morning Market
- The Hachinohe Port in Hachinohe City, Aoyama, has one of the largest catches in Japan including squid and mackerel. Located in the large Tatehana Quay”, ”Tatehana Quay Morning Market” is held every Sunday during the months of March through December, and is open from dawn.
- 3 Shinminato, Hachinohe, Aomori
- URL http://www.ukipal.jp/web_asaichi/tatehana/top/
Senyou Main Store
- There is no menu at the main store of Senyou in Hachinohe, Aomori, and there is only a chef’s choice course. Enjoy the fresh, locally harvested seasonal seafood and local cuisine in the style distinct to Senryou.
- 8 Tsutsumicho, Hachinohe, Aomori
- URL http://hachinohe-senyou.com/
Yoshida Bakery Mont Blanc Main Store
- Yoshida Bakery is synonymous with ”anbata”(sweet bean paste and butter). It was created in 1967, about 12 years after the bakery’s opening. The simple bread with sweet bean paste and butter sandwiched between additive-free bread is a heartwarming soul food. Yoshida Bakery is a hometown bakery which continues to be loved the locals.
- 9-25 Shinmachi, Mutsushi, Aomori
Tsugaru Soba of Hirosaki, ”No no An”
- ”No no An” began serving Tsugaru ”soba” at the end of the Edo era when the founder, Yoshichi Sato went to Shinagawa Battery with Tsugaru clan samurai and artillerist, Yoshinori Iwata, whom he also worked for. The shop has been making Tsugaru ”soba” with buckwheat flour made from a once extinct native plant, using a traditional method. They are proud of the ”soba’s” texture and flavor.
- 57 Gojikkokumachi, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://hirosaki-nonoan.com/english.html
”Kiseki no Ringo” (Miracle Apples)
- Following more than 10 years of experimentation, Aomori apple farmer Akinori Kimura successfully cultivated pesticide free apples, a feat which was believed to be absolutely impossible. These apples, called ”Kiseki no Ringo” or ”Miracle Apples”, became the focus of attention at the time. Kimura continues to produce apples, but also holds seminars for the next generation of instructors in natural farming methods.
- 2-8-6 Hachimancho, Hirosaki, Aomori
Osteria Enoteca Da Sasino
- Sasamori, the owner of Osteria Enoteca Da Sasino, trained in Italy for 2 and a half years at two star Michelin restaurants such as ”Dorada” and ”Arnolfo”. When he turned 30, he decided to open an Italian restaurant in Hirosaki. Sasamori not only cooks his own food, but produces his own vegetables, prosciutto, cheese and wine, starting from the ingredients. This attracted attention from all over the country, leading to numerous exposure in the media. He was awarded both a gold and silver at the 2014 Japan Cheese Award. He was also was awarded Bronze Class at the ”Cooking Masters”, the cooking honor system created by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Grace Honcho 2F, 56-8 Honcho, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://dasasino.com/
- Homura an eatery where you can thoroughly enjoy a good drink. Preparing dishes which draw out the flavor of the many local seasonal ingredients, Homura serves many dishes which can only be enjoyed at this establishment.
- 1-1-30 Ichibancho, Hachinohe, Aomori
- Handmade ”soba” shop, ”Banchoan” is located in the center of Hachinohe city, serving ”soba” and ”appetizers that pairs well with sake”. They serve ”kuichi soba” where the ”soba” flour and split flour are mixed at a ratio of 9 to 1. ”Gensoba” is cleaned, polished and skinned, then ground with a stone mortar to create ”soba” flour. The ”soba” buckwheat is sourced from Hokkaido, Yamagata, Akita or Aizu. The characteristic of the resulting ”soba” flour is carefully observed, to select the best combination for the best tasting ”soba”.
- 23 Bancho, Hachinohe, Aomori
- URL http://www.banchouan.com/
- Sushi Ichi is a first class Edo-style ”sushi” restaurant, possibly the best ”sushi” shop in Aomori. With uncompromising eye for detail, only the best ingredients are selected and prepared with ingenious craftsmanship, making this shop a first rate sushi restaurant.
- 4-4-15 Honcho, Aomori, Aomori
- The tavern ”Inageya” is located one street oceanside from Aomori Hotel, a 15 minute walk from Aomori Station. Proudly serving seafood from Oomamachi, Aomori. Sometimes, the fish caught just that day is served, so you can count on having the freshest fish.
- 2-3-9 Aoyagi, Aomori, Aomori
- There is no fixed menu here. Instead, a menu is created daily to feature the seasonal flavors of Tsugaru, to accommodate the various set menus. Lunch 2,100 yen, Kaishoku Lunch 3,150 yen, Chef’s Selection Dinner (Sakura) 4,200 yen, Chef’s Selection Dinner (Neputa) 5,250 yen, Chef’s Selection Dinner (Yuki) 7,250 yen.
- 55-4 Okeyamachi, Hirosaki, Aomori
Tsugaru Roman, Koji Shirato
- As the name implies, ”Tsugaru Roman” is a brand of rice being made in Aomori Prefecture. The rice is planted mainly in the central zone of Tsugaru with a view of Tsugaru Fuji, ”Mount Iwaki”, as well as the northwest region of Tsugaru, and the inland southern plains where the weather and the soil conditions are suitable. Genealogy-wise, ”Tsugaru Roman” is the grandchild of ”Koshihikari” and the child of ”Akitakomachi”. It inherits strong characterics from ”Akitakomachi” but it has a lighter, more gentle taste.
- ”Komise” is the name of a street which was chosen as one of the 100 Best Streets in Japan. The street has traditional buildings and a shopping arcade from the clan period which are still intact, making it a rarity in Japan. Its main feature is the covered arcade that protects people from strong sunlight and snowstorms. The street is home to ”The Takahashi Residence”, an Important Cultural Property, and old ”sake” breweries. Enjoy browsing through the nostalgic atmosphere.
- Kuroishi Tourism Association, Around Nakamachi, Kuroishi, Aomori
- URL https://kuroishi.or.jp/sightseeing/komisedoori
Engraving and Lacquer Artist, Hirokazu Shimamori
- Shimamori studied the basics of ”Tsugaru-nuri” because he wanted to learn the traditional craftwork of his birthplace and home town of Aomori. He started a new brand of lacquerware called ”LANDPROTECT” which combines ”Tsugaru-nuri” and silver as a way to promote the history and tradition of the region, as well as to create something that would blend easily into today’s lifestyle.
- 11-1 Samemachi, Hachinohe, Aomori, Inside Hachinohe Portal Museum Hatch
- URL http://landprotect.jp/
Glass Artist, Chuzaburo Ishibashi
- Glass Art Studio ”Star Bridge” is headed by a glass artist, Ishibashi, and has a workshop and gallery in Hachinohe City in Aomori. Glass products are designed, crafted and finished in the studio using both traditional and their original blow glass techniques. They enjoy discovering interesting aspects of glass in their daily craftwork.
- 4-7-106 Numadate, Hachinohe, Aomori
- URL http://www.ishibasi.com/
”Tsugaru-yaki” Haruhisa Koyama
- Koyama is a ceramic artist who owns and works on his own pieces at ”Tsugaru Chiyozogama” in Hirosaki City.
- 4-11-3 Jonan, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://tugaruyaki.com/
Ceramic Artists Shuhei Yasuda and Miyo Yasuda
- Ceramic artists Shuhei Yasuda and his wife Miyo jointly opened their studio, ”polepole” 16 years ago. 10 years ago, they relocated to an abandoned house in Ajigasaki that they renovated on their own. Now they do all their creative work there, enjoying the view of Mount Iwaki. Picking up hints from their daily lives and travels, they bring unique ideas to life by creating items such as tableware made from soil and lanterns made using paper.
- 192-3 Koyashikimachisodegasaki ,Ajigasawa-machi Nishitsugaru-gun, Aomori
- A-FACTORY was established in May 2010 as a new business model for Aomori while stimulating the local economy. As part of the JR East Group’s ”Rediscovering the Region Project”, Aomori prefecture opened a facility called the ”A-Project” in December 2010 - a workshop where Aomori apples are processed into cider and juice, and a market selling local produce.
- 1-4-2 Yanakawa, Aomori, Aomori
Tsugaru ”shamisen” player, Atsushi Tada
- Tsugaru ”shamisen” is ”shamisen” music born in the Tsugaru region (currently the western part of Aomori prefecture). Originally, Tsugaru shamisen was played as an accompaniment to folk music from the Tsugaru region. The store owner, Tada, is a shamisen musician with 20 years of experience. He uses his vast experience and knowledge in carefully selecting products for his store.
- 112 Shigemorimachi, Hirosaki, Aomori
Tazawa Cutlery Works, Kozo Tazawa
- Tazawa is a third generation bladesmith who wields his hammer in a traditional workshop. Currently, he works alone in his workshop. The store has been producing and selling pruning scissors, machetes, kitchen knives, weeding scythes and apple mold removers for 100 years. The apple pruning scissors, ”Shimizu Ikkokuin”, is widely used by fruit growers all over Japan.
- 2-3-11 Shigemorishincho, Hirosaki, Aomori
Tsugaru Coating (Kara-nuri, Tsugei-nuri) Shoji Wajima
- Wajima devised a new pattern called ”Tsuge-nuri”, which adds a new creative technique to the traditional Tsugaru coating technique, making a brick-like pattern. Wajima was selected as a ”Modern Master Craftsman” in 2005.
Aomori Prefectural Museum of Art
- This museum, opened on July 13, 2006, introduces local Aomori culture. The museum not only displays art pieces, but also holds various art and cultural activities such as movie showings, theater and music performances, providing surprise and excitement to the residents of Aomori. It is also gives residents an opportunity to expand their horizons.
- 185 Konno, Yasuda, Aomori, Aomori
- URL http://www.aomori-museum.jp/en/index.html
Tsugaru-nuri (Monsha-nuri), Masato Kimura
- When ”tsuguru ash” (in Tsugaru region, rice husk is called ”tsuguru”.) is plated onto a black lacquer pattern (mostly lines) and finished by polishing, it is called ”Monsha-nuri”. Kimura is the most prominent ”Monsha-nuri” craftsman.
- 1-4-8 Ichikawasaki, Hirosaki, Aomori
Tsugaru Vidro/ Hokuyo Glass
- ”Tsugaru Vidro” are made from the sand of Shichirigahama Beach which spreads on the west side of the Tsugaru Peninsula. Hokuyo Glass has been creating beautiful elegant glassware using the ”blowing” technique, handed down from the 1st century BC. Enjoy the unrestricted and uniquely designed glass products made with highly skilled craftsmanship, designated as a Traditional Craftwork by Aoyama Prefectural Government.
- 4-29-13 Tomita, Aomori, Aomori
- URL https://tsugaruvidro.jp/english/
Tsugaru-nuri (Kara-nuri), Teruyoshi Kon
- The ”Kara-nuri” is representative of Tsugaru painting, and currently has the highest production in Japan. Kara-nuri has a unique complex pattern of dots which are dried, re-painted and sharpened over and over again, and involves 48 complex steps to create. Each Kara-nuri lacquerware is carefully made from start to finish, taking a minimum of one and a half months up to two months to complete.
- 54-3 Inamoto, Harada, Hirakawa, Aomori
Tree Doctor, Masaru Kobayashi
- Tree doctor, Masaru Kobayashi, proactively pruned cherry tree branches when it was a taboo to do so, and succeeded in reviving the cherry trees in Hirosaki Park. In 2011, he also tried to resurrect a famous ”100 year old large weeping cherry tree” also in Hirosaki Park, which had broken very close to the root due to heavy snow.
Saito Sake Brewery
- Saito Sake Brewery began at the end of the Edo period when they made the ”shubo” or mother yeast using the family’s traditional secret recipe, selling it to all the breweries in the Tsugaru area. The water, the life of ”sake”, is spring water from Mount Iwaki of the Shirakami Mountain Range which is registered as a World Heritage Site. The spring water and quality rice from the Tsugaru plain are placed in the brewing houses which resonate with the sound of ”quena” or Andean flute. During the intense cold winter months, ”sake” is made by hand the old fashioned way, with a continued commitment to creating ”sake that is delicious and brings joy”.
- 58 Komagoshimachi, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://www.aomori-sake.or.jp/kuramoto/matsumidori.html
Rokka Shuzo Co., Ltd. / Hanaomoi
- Rokka Shuzo sticks to traditional handmade sake, which carries the ”Joppari”spirit which means ”stubborn person” in the Tsugaru dialect. They continue to provide great tasting sake infused with the passion and skill of the brewmaster.
- 217 Toyoda, Mukaitonose, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL http://www.joppari.com/
Kikukoma Shuzo Co., Ltd/ Kikukoma
- Hirofumi Miura became the 7th generation owner of the hundred year old brewery ”Kikukoma”. At the young age of 29, he continues the traditional motto of making ”sake” that is ”unchanging”. One of the reasons for the pleasant flavor of ”Kikukoma” is the M2 yeast which yields a less acidic taste and great aroma.
- 12 Kawaramachi, Gonohemachi, Sannohegun, Aomori
- URL http://www.kikukoma.com/
Hatomasamune Co., Ltd./Hatomasamune
- Founded in 1899, the name ”Hatomasamune” is derived from a pigeon which nested in the brewery’s warehouse during the early Showa period and was later enshrined as a guardian angel. Underground water of Oirase River that flows from Lake Towada is used. Adhering to the motto of ”making tasty and aromatic sake”, the skilled brewers make local ”sake” with great care, sticking to the old fashioned recipe.
- 176-2 Inayoshi, Sanbongi, Towada, Aomori
- URL http://www.hatomasa.jp/
Hotel Nakua City Hirosaki
- 1 minute walk from JR Hirosaki Station. It is a city hotel located near the Hirosaki Castle, famous for the cherry blossoms, and the World Heritage Shirakami Mountains. The hotel is also equipped with a banquet hall, conference room and a chapel. The rooms, designed with pride, combine Hirosaki tradition, natural beauty and modernism.
- 1-1-2 Omachi, Hirosaki, Aomori
- URL https://www.mystays.com/en-us/hotel-art-hotel-hirosaki-city-aomori/
Richmond Hotel Aomori
- Located close to where the prefectural and city facilities such as Aomori Prefectural Government and City Hall are centered. Wake up fully rested in the warm, comfortable and calming room which will provide a moment of satisfaction and induce a restful nights sleep. Because of its convenient location, the hotel is suited for a any purpose including business and leisure.
- 1-6-6 Nagashima, Aomori, Aomori
- URL https://richmondhotel.jp/en/aomori/
- Hotel Jogakura is a Scandinavian-style resort hotel surrounded by virgin beech forest. In the summer, guests can cool off among the refreshing trees, while in the winter, the hotel is popular with skiers. THe hotel is located in the wilderness, surprising guests with a different feel each season.
- Inside Mt. Arakawa Hakkodasan, Aomori, Aomori
- URL https://www.jogakura.com/en/
Hoshino Resort Kai Tsugaru
- Hoshino Resort World Tsugaru is a Japanese-style inn with a hot spring located in Owani, Minami Tsugaru. Guests can enjoy meals prepared with ingredients from the Aomori or Tohoku region, hot-spring baths made with ancient ”hinoki” or Japanese cypress, and the beautiful wide open space created by Japanese painter, Matazo Kayama. Great access to surrounding tourist attractions such as Hirosaki, Shirakami Mountains, Mt. Iwaki and Towada Lake.
- 36-1 Kamibotanmori, Owani, Owanicho, Minami Tsugaru, Aomori
- URL https://kai-ryokan.jp/en/tsugaru/
AXIS Grand Sunpia Hachinohe
- This elegant hotel is built on a small hill overlooking the Pacific Ocean. In addition to the banquet hall and a restaurant, the hotel has a quality spring spa and 10 tennis courts, the most in the city. Guests are sure to enjoy relaxing here.
- 1-1-1 Higashi Shiroyamadai, Hachinohe, Aomori
- URL http://www.sunpiahachinohe.jp/
Makado Onsen Hotel
- At resort hotel ”Madoka Tourism Hotel”, enjoy the beautiful scenery of each season, quality hot springs and traditional local fisherman’s cuisine.
- 9 Yuzawa, Nohejimachi, Kamikitagun, Aomori
- URL http://sanrok-makado.com/en/
Oirase Mori no Hotel
- The concept of the hotel is to help guests provide happiness to their travel companions. Guests can enjoy the visual stimulation and the wonderful flavors, using all five senses to fully appreciate the nature of Towada, Oirase.
- 36-20 Yakeyama, Horyo, Towada, Aomori
- URL http://www.morino-hotel.com/
- A classic hotel in Aomori City. The hotel is conveniently located for pleasure, business and weddings.
- 1-1-23 Tsutsumimachi, Aomori, Aomori
- URL https://www.hotelaomori.co.jp/en/
Charcoal-broil Tavern Omoro
- ”Izakaya” introduced by a local ”sake” brewery. This ”izakaya” has a large assortment of Japanese ”sake”; normally about 20 labels, famous ones as well as precious rarities. Their pairing recommendations, matching ”sake” to the season as well as Japanese or Western food and/or food from different genre are much appreciated.
- 2-37 Shinsakaemachi Tegata Akita-city Akita
- A restaurant where you can eat “horumon yakisoba” with grilled innards that have been boiled down in special sauce for 2 whole days. Ever since the restaurant opened in 1957, the shop has gained popularity in Yokote with its headline dish,“horumon yakisoba,”with its straight ”kakumen” noodles and tender beef innards, which the majority of customers order.
- 23-1 Sanmaibashi Maegou Yokote-city Akita
Asamai Shuzo Co., Ltd.
- Only rice harvested from within a 5 kilometer perimeter and ”Biwako kansui” water that was used to grow the rice, which springs from within the property, is used to make the totally pure ”sake”. Holding true to the motto that ”sake is born from the fields”, the brewery nurtures the blessings of the Yokote Plains and the abundant water, to create the flagship label ”Amanoto”.
- 388 Asamai Asamai Hiraka cho Yokote-City Akita
- URL http://www.amanoto.co.jp/
KARIHO SHUZOU CO., LTD
- “Kariho” is a result of collaboration of the master Toji with sophisticated skills, young ”kurabito” workers with new ideas and female ”kurabito” workers with delicate sensitivity. The distinctive taste of ”Kariho” is created by the traditional method of pressurizing sake in ”sakabune” which takes time and effort, thus rarely seen lately nationwide.
- 275 Jinguji Jinguji Daisen-City Akita
- URL https://www.igeta.jp/en/
- A bakery that uses “Shirakami Kodama yeast”discovered in the Shirakami mountains, located by the prefecture border between Akita and Aomori. More than 30 different types of bread, ranging from the fragrant hard-type wheat bread to deli-bread and pastries topped with fresh fruit line their shelves daily. The bakery stands by the National highway overlooking the Sea of Japan, a perfect place to stop while out for a drive.
- 23-8 Yunoshiri Hachimori Happocho Yamamotogun Akita
Azakura Sake Brewery
- Located in a region with heavy snow, the entire brewery is at times completely buried under the snow. The brewery takes advantage of this freezing climate by incorporating the Akita-style preparation method, where ”sake” is slowly fermented at low temperatures over a long period. ”Sake” that is fermented in low temperature, stable due to the snow, becomes floral in fragrance and smooth in taste. It can be said that the ”sake” made here cleverly takes advantage of the climate of Akita.
- 67-2 Nishino Oosawa Yokote-city Akita
- URL http://www.azakura.co.jp/en/
Japanese Confectionary store Tsujiya
- A well established Japanese confectionary store founded in Omagari Senkita Akita during the Edo period, Tsujiya has been making traditional confectionery “tofu kamaboko” “tofu castela“ “sanbaimochi” over 5 generations, for more than 130 years. ”Tofu kamaboko” is made by steaming a mixture of tofu and white fish meat into a dome-shape and in fact not so sweet, and is often served as an accompaniment to tea and at ceremonial occasions, and has been a local favorite for a long time.
- 1-20 Nakadorimachi Oomagari Daisen-city Akita
- URL http://www.akita-tsujiya.jp/
- A local sweets maker that makes numerous original products such as the unique ”karinto” which is twisted, making it easier for the brown sugar syrup to coat the entire snack; and fresh cream ”dorayaki” each of which are made by hand. The ”dorayaki” is available in 5 flavors - ”ogura” bean paste, ”matcha”, strawberry, sesame and chocolate.
- 2-6 Dannohira Ogata Kakunodatemachi Senboku-city Akita
- URL http://www.yukarido.com/
- A restaurant located in Kakunodate, also known as the ”little Kyoto” of Michinoku, serving original dishes based on Japanese cuisine with French, Italian and Asian twists. The restaurant achieves perfection with the heartfelt service by the female owner known as ”Smile”, and the carefully prepared dishes.
- 12 Nakamachi Kakunodatemachi Senboku-city Akita
- Vapor shooting out from the valley, and the steam and blast of heat gushing out from the 60-meter rocky cliff wall make you acknowledge the wonders and strength of mother nature. The white steam is a beautiful contrast with the vivid green of the trees during spring, and the red-dyed leaves during the autumn.
- Yuzawa-city Minase Oyasukyo onsen
- URL http://www.oyasukyo.jp/
Fukurokuju Brewery co., ltd
- ”Sake” brewery founded in 1688 during the Edo period, devoted to drawing out the ”umami” of rice, fulfilling the company policy of always creating ”sake” to make people happy. Fukurokujyu Brewery’s signature label “Ippakusuisei” was born this way, the name meaning “the best tasting sake made from water and white rice,”
- 48 Shitamachi Gojoumemachi Minami-Akita Gun Akita
- URL http://www.fukurokuju.jp/
Natsuse Onsen Miyakowasure
- A secluded Japanese style inn that allows you to enjoy the luxury of peace surrounded by the sounds of nature, such as the chirping of the birds, the rustling of the leaves, or the flow of the river. As the name of the Inn “Miyako Wasure” (forgetting the metropolis) suggests, relax and savor the hot springs of Natsuse, just like the regional lords of the castle and local people had since the times of Edo.
- 84 Natsuse Tawadakosotsuda Senboku-city Akita
- URL http://www.taenoyu.com/natuse-top.html
Akita Jozo co. ltd.
- Brewery founder Masatsune Hanaoka strived to spread the natural ”sake” yeast that was developed at the Akita brewery testing lab during the Taisho era. This unique Akita “long-term low-temperature rapid brewery” method has since then become the foundation to all their ”sake”. ”Sake”, fermented slowly for more than 25 days may be appreciated with its robust flavor that will amplify in your mouth when drunk.
- 5-2 Noborimachi Narayama Akita-city Akita
Oga Sakurajima Resort HOTEL Kiraraka
- A hotel located on the tip of Oga peninsula, protruding out to the Sea of Japan. Visitors are free to choose from different styles of accomodation to appreciate Oga nature; options from various types of rooms, bungalows, and a camping site.
- 1-466 Nakadai Togakamooasa Oga-city Akita
- Situated conveniently, just a minute walk from the connecting Akita station. A large scale hotel equipped with restaurants, conference rooms, and chapel which has been loved by people in and around the prefecture. A full renovation was completed in 2010 allowing guests to relax in a clean and calm environment, whilst enjoying a reflection of history.
- 7 chome 2-1 Nakadori Akita-city Akita
- URL http://www.metro-akita.jp/
- A cozy, warm-lit ”izakaya” where you can enjoy creative dishes made with local ingredients, along with carefully selected local Akita ”sake”. Their daily recommendation consists of dishes such as local fresh sashimi, well known Akita Hinai-brand chicken, a limited 15 servings of handmade ”soba”, etc. The “gasshozukuri” steep rafter roof is their landmark.
- 6-9 1 chome Sanno Akita-city Akita
- URL http://www.syuhai.com/
Sosaku chubo Bistro Amour
- A 15 year-old Western-style ”izakaya” that offers reasonably priced dishes made by their chef with a “Professional Western cuisine license” issued by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Dishes using amino-acid abundant Japanese “short-horn Kazuno beef” have even been introduced on TV and have been attracting attention.
- 154-5 Hanawa Hanawashita Kazuno-city Akita
- URL http://hitosara.com/0006010229/
Akita Castle Hotel
- Conveniently located overlooking ”Chiaki Park” which is the landmark at the center of the city. The dignity cultivated by tradition fuses together with the robust city, creating an ambience that can only be enjoyed here.
- 1-3-5 Nakadori Akita-city Akita
- URL http://www.castle-hotel.jp/
ENOTECA olmo del Caucaso
- An Italian restaurant on Keyaki street situated between Yabase Sports Park, Akita’s center of sports, and the city hall. Authentic Italian made with locally produced ingredients plus an amazing selection of wine! During the spring, the view of the lined zelkova trees are beautiful, appeasing the appetite as well as the eyes.
- 1F 1-6-20 Sanno Akita-city Akita
Historic landmark Osarizawa mine
- Osarizawa mining site is said to have been discovered in the year 708, during the Nara period. The dirt walls exposed in the mining shaft are roughly 9 million years old and had once been the largest domestic copper vein type mine, greatly contributing to Japan’s “golden culture” such as for molding the Buddha statue of Todaiji temple in Nara, and the creation of the Golden Hall of Hiraizumi in Iwate.
- 13-5 Shishizawa Osarizawa Kazuno-city Akita
- URL http://www.osarizawa.jp/
- Built under government order to accommodate guests from abroad visiting Japan for the 1940 Tokyo Olympic games. 80 carpenters specializing in shrine and temple construction from Akita, Aomori and Iwate were called together to compete against each other in construction of the main building. The hotel has been designated Tangible Cultural Property and is a tourist spot at the National park, Towada lake.
- Nichikohan Towadako Kosakamachi Kazunogun Akita
- URL http://en.towada-hotel.com/
- The origin of “kiritanpo” is said to be a preserved food eaten cooked with hunted pheasant and plants picked from the mountains during the hunting season. At Ganso Murasaki, “tanpo” made with carefully selected ”Akitakomachi” rice and locally grown vegetables is served with chicken broth taken from Hinai chicken. 1 tanpo is equivalent to 2 1/2 rice bowls of rice, which should be enough to satisfy your appetite!
- 12-9 Saiwaicho Odate-city Akita
- URL http://www.tanpo.jp/
“Akita Dog Preservation Society” Foundation
- Established in 1990 by Shigeie Izumi who feared the extinction of pure-blooded Akita dogs. The objective was to preserve the designated Japanese Natural Treasure “Akita dogs”, and to offer information regarding its cultural background. Currently the foundation has 52 branch offices in Japan, 9 branches abroad, and holds numerous workshops and exhibitions throughout the year.
- 13-1 Sannomaru Oodateshi Akita
- URL http://www.akitainu-hozonkai.com/?lang=en
- A “yakiniku” restaurant in business for more than half a century, with a vision of “being the best chosen “yakiniku” restaurant in Akita.” Proud to be a part of the meat industry, the restaurant has strived to offer the best service to its customers. Here, you can consume Akita’s best premium Kuroge wagyu“Ugo” beef and fresh local products in a renovated, century-old sake brewery, which has been recycled leaving the features of the original building and recreating it in modern style. 3-minute walk from Akita station.
- 2F Creo Building New-Kinzagai 2-6-44 Nakadori Akita-city Akita
- URL http://www.akitagyugentei.com/
Yokote Fureai Center Kamakura kan
- A facility where you can actually experience Yokote ”kamakura”, which has a history of more than 400 years in worshipping the water gods during the lunar new year. You can enter an actual ”kamakura” made with Yokote snow in the ”kamakura room”, always kept at minus 10℃.
- 8-12 Chuoban Yokote-city Akita
- URL http://www.yokotekamakura.com/02_kanko/kamakurakan.html
Richmond Hotel Akita Ekimae
- Opened in January 2009, Richmond Hotel Akita Ekimae is a 4-minute walk from Akita station. It offers 5 different types of rooms to choose from, to fit various needs whether it may be business or pleasure. The hotel group has a high reputation for hospitality and service, and was awarded “hotel with highest customer satisfaction” for 8 consecutive years until 2013.
- 2-26 2 chome Nakadori Akita-city Akita
- URL http://richmondhotel.jp/akita/?hotel_id=41
- A sweets shop conscious of being a “gastronomy patisserie,” with a challenging spirit for making confectionery with an understanding for culture and cuisine. Owner patissier Takeshi Saito, one of the presenters at “The World Cuisine Academic Meeting in Hakodate” creates original and colorful sweets that visually entertain as well as satisfy the palate..
- 21-2 Kondosekigoshi Hiroomote Akita-city Akita
- URL http://patisserie-stove.com/
- One of the best sushi places in Japan that serves fresh caught local fish as the core menu, plus Edo-style sushi that is simmered, marinated, pickled accordingly to the ingredients. With brilliant expertise, perfect taste is pursued with touches like adjusting different sushi vinegar depending on the fish, side dishes and nigiri sushi being served in perfect timing.
- 4-4-4 Omachi Akita-city Akita
Artisan, Kodai Makino
- Kodai Makino invented ”plant dyeing metal works” where natural dyes are used to dye aluminum. He now uses gold, silver, platinum, copper and iron for his artwork. Kodai Makino belongs to ”Artists Group Atelier Masato” who work in a studio in Asahicho which was converted from the former Tachiki Elementary School building. They hold art classes and workshops while presenting new pieces of art.
- 300 Tachiki, Asahicho, Nishimurayamagun, Yamagata
- URL http://koudai27.jimdo.com/
- Tsukinoike is a Japanese style inn located in Kaminoyama Onsen, a historical town famous for the nearby castle and as a post station. All 18 guest rooms offer a comfortable fusion of traditional Japanese architectural design and modern design, creating a unique but relaxing space. Guests can enjoy an array of delicious ”Kaiseki” cuisine, adding to their special visit to the inn.
- 3-10 Yumachi, Kaminoyama, Yamagata
- URL http://www.tsukinoike.co.jp/
Yamagata Marugoto kan, Beni no Kura
- Yamagata Marugoto kan - Beni no Kura, is located in the main street of Toka-machi in Yamagata City. It is a collection of dining and direct sales shops where visitors can enjoy Yamagata’s food and culture. An information booth provides information for tourists, and the building is styled after a brewery house, providing a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere full of Yamagata’s seasonal attractions.
- 2-1-8 Tokamachi, Yamagata
- URL http://www.beninokura.com/
- The top floor of the well established Japanese style hotel, ”Kameya”, established in the 10th year of the Bunka era was renovated to create a special guest room called the ”Kameya HOURAI”. This new hotel is a collaboration of the top architects and designers, working with college students from Yamagata prefecture. Each room has a different concept but they all offer a harmony of sophisticated modern ambience and Yamagata culture.
- 1-5-50 Yunohama, Tsuruoka, Yamagata
- URL http://kameya-net.com/en/
- Tatenokawa, Inc. is a ”sake” brewery in Sakata, blessed with an abundant supply of run off water from the snow on Chokai Mountain. They also grow their own rice so they can be aware of even the smallest changes in the rice, enabling them to create beautiful, high quality ”sake”. While their hallmark label is ”Tatenokawa”, they also design beautiful packaging to highlight the appeal of Japanese ”sake”.
- 27 Aza Shimizuda, Yamadate, Sakata-Shi, Yamagata
- URL http://tatenokawa.jp/menu-en.html
(Public Interest Incorporated Foundation) Honma Museum of Art
- Honma Museum of Art stores and exhibits antique and modern art, most of which are pieces donated by the Honma Family. Many masterpieces are exhibited, enabling visitors to get a glimpse of the history of Minatocho Sakata which was influenced by old Kyoto culture due to ”Kitamae Bune” or ”Kitamae” ship trade of that period. The Nationally recognized and renowned garden, ”Garden of Honma Family’s Second House (”Kakubu En”)” and Kyoto style wood architecture, ”Seienkaku” are definitely worth a visit.
- 7-7 Onaricho, Sakata, Yamagata
- URL http://www.homma-museum.or.jp
- Isagoya is located in Yunohama Onsen where guests can enjoy spectacular views of the sun setting in the Sea of Japan. There are also 6 bath areas, each offering comfort and relaxation in 6 different settings. A white sandy beach stretches out in front of the inn, with a view of Mt. Chokai. Enjoy a leisurely stroll of the nearby areas when staying at Isagoya.
- 1-8-7 Yunohama, Tsuruoka, Yamagata
- URL http://www.isagoya.com/lang/lg_en.html
Kamenoi Shuzo Corporation
- Kamenoi Shuzo has a brewery at the foot of Yamagata’s sacred mountain, Mt. Hagurosan. The brewery was founded in the early Meiji era when the chief brewer at the time, Toshiharu Imai, began creating their signature ”sake”. The brewery only creates ”sake” at ”ginjo” class or higher, with the rice milling rate of more than 50%. They are responsible for the famous ”Kudoki Jozu” and ”Bakuren”.
- 1 Fukunouchi, Haguromachi Tono, Tsuruoka, Yamagata
- Inoue Farm is located in Shonai plain, surrounded by Mt. Chokaizan and Mt. Gassan, and cultivates rice and vegetables. They use fertilizer that complies with JAS regulation, and minimal pesticides to deliver fresh rice and vegetables directly from their farm to the stores. Their naturally sweet and juicy tomatoes are one of their top selling produce.
- 14 Hakusanmae, Watamae, Tsuruokashi, Yamagata
- URL http://inoue.farm/
Shonai Atsumi Onsen, Takamiya Bettei, KUON
- Atsumi Onsen with 1000 year history is located in the southwest part of Tsuruoka City, near the ocean, close to Niigata Prefecture. ”Takamiya Bettei KUON” offers a hot springs which has provided warmth for many years, as well as creative ”kaiseki” cuisine made using fresh seafood from the Sea of Japan and other local ingredients, both a big attraction for the inn.
- 83-3 Yunoshiri, Yuatsumi, Tsuruoka, Yamagata
- URL http://www.zao.co.jp/lang/en/kuon/
- The hotel caters exclusively to couples, and is designed so couples can experience a leisurely stay and make lasting memories. Once guests enjoy the seasonal ”kaiseki” cuisine using Yonezawa beef, they are bound to come back.
- 12703-4 Sekine, Yonezawa, Yamagata
- URL http://www.tokinoyado.com/
Asahikawa Shuzo Co. Ltd.
- Asahikawa Shuzo Co. Ltd. started their business in Kahokucho, the granary district in Yamagata, during the Edo period. Using ”sake”-compatible rice developed by the local agricultural high school, combined with yeast created in-house, the brewery prides itself on using methods to bring out the flavor and aroma of rice. While known for the ”Asahikawa Beiju” and ”Yamabuki”labels, Asahikawa Shuzo continues to expand the range of ”sake” brewing by also creating mature or aged ”sake”.
- Otsu-93, Yachi, Kahokucho, Nishimurayamagun, Yamagata
- URL http://www.hinanet.ne.jp/~asahikawa/
Semi Onsen Yumemino yado Kansyokan
- Semi Onsen is located on the boundary between Yamagata and Miyagi prefectures. Legend has it that Yoshitsune Minamoto and his entourage stopped by at Semi Onsen while fleeing to Hiraizumi. ”Yumemi no Yado Kansyokan” quietly stands along the clear Ogunigawa River, a branch of the Mogami River. Guests can relax and enjoy the unending flow of hot spring water and the nature of the Mogami region.
- 987 Ohori, Mogami, Mogami District, Yamagata
- URL https://www.kansyokan.co.jp/en/
Teuchi Suisha Kisoba
- Traditional ”soba” shop established in the Edo era. The large water mill, the shop’s symbol, turns the stone mortar and grinds the buckwheat to make ”soba” flour. ”Soba” noodles made from carefully blended homemade ”soba” flour attracts not only locals, but also fans from all over Japan.
- 1-3-26 Kamata Honcho, Tendo, Yamagata
- URL http://www.suisyasoba.com/
Mitobe Sake Brewery Co., Ltd.
- Mitobe Sake Brewery is located in Tendo City, and grows their own”Yamadanishiki” and ”Dewasansan” brand rice using little or no pesticides to brew ”sake” using the best ingredients. They draw the underlaying water from Tachiya River for the mother water, and use a traditional process to make the ”sake” by hand. Their signature label is ”Yamagatamune”, known for its deep yet crisp taste.
- 7 Haramachi, Tendō-shi, Yamagata
- URL http://mitobesake.com/
Zuihozan Jionji Temple
- Legend has it that Emperor Shomu ordered the construction of Jionji Temple in the 18th year of Tenpyo era or 746 AD. All of the historical rulers of this area became devout parishoners of this temple, and Jionji had the largest territorial holdings within the Tohoku area at one time. Currently listed as an Important Cultural Asset, the temple is home to many historically valuable assets.
- 31 Jionji, Sagae, Yamagata
- URL http://www.honzan-jionji.jp/
Teuchi Jinengo Soba
- The town of Oishidamachi, is located along the Mogami River and is famous for ”soba”. ”Teuchi Jinengo Soba” serves hand made ”soba” noodles made using homegrown buckwheat (”soba”) that is also milled on site. Customers can enjoy the natural taste of simply cooked ”soba” noodles.
- 75 Jinengo, Oishida-machi, Kitamurayama-gun, Yamagata
- Kawashima uses Hinai free range chicken raised in the Shonai region of Yamagata for their dishes. They also offer an excellent selection of ”sake”. Customers can enjoy original menu items that use carefully selected ingredients.
- 1F-B Hokuto Bldg., 3-2-25 Nanukamachi, Yamagata-shi, Yamagata
- Matsunoyu is located in the center of Tendo City, a city known for the production of ”shogi” pieces. One can enjoy two types of quality hot spring, from either a private source or common source. Guests can also view the beauty of the four seasons in the Japanese Garden from either the large common bath or outdoor bath.
- 2-2-54 Kamatahoncho, Tendo, Yamagata
- URL http://www.matunoyu.co.jp/
Yamagataken Gokoku Shrine
- Yamagataken Gokoku Shrine stands quietly by Mamigasaki River. The shrine was built to comfort the spirits of Satsuma clan warriors who died during the Boshin War in the 2nd year of Meiji (1869), and after that, the spirit of many soldiers who perished in World War II have been enshrined here. This shrine is among the most popular in Yamagata for first prayers of the New Year (”hatsumoude”).
- 2-8-75, Yakushimachi, Yamagata-shi, Yamagata
- URL http://www.yamagataken-gokokujinja.jp/
- Haikarasan Dori is a cafe in the ”onsen” town of Ginzan Onsen, nestled among the mountains in Obanazawa City. ”Haikarasan’s Curry Bread” which uses Yamagata produced flour, is very popular.
- 451 Ginzan Shinbata, Obanazawa, Yamagata
- URL http://www.meiyuu.com/haikara/index.htm
Ginzan Hot Spring Fujiya Inn
- One can enjoy the beautiful snowscape and the ambience of the Taisho era that still remains in this hotel built in the town of Ginzan Onsen. The popular hotel, ”Fujiya” has been renewed to create a magical setting blending modern wooden architecture, bamboo, Japanese rice paper and light. Time passes gently and silently, allowing you to forget the hustle and bustle of daily life.
- 443 Ginzan Shinhata, Obanazawa, Yamagata
- URL http://www.fujiya-ginzan.com/english/
Ai to Pan
- Ai to Pan is a local bakery which uses homemade natural yeast fermented from fruit seeds. No additives are used, and their carefully baked bread is very popular with both children and adults.
- 1-1-14 Matsugasaki, Yonezawashi, Yamagata
Uesugi Family Mausoleum
- Uesugi Family Mausoleum is a cemetary which houses the mausoleum for all of Yonezawa clan lords. The tomb for Kenshin, the first lord of the Uesugi family, is located in the furthest plot in the center, followed by Kagekatsu Uesugi all the way to Narisada, the 11th lord. Being a valuable historical asset, it is designated as one of Japan’s historical sites.
- 1-5-30 Gobyo, Yonezawa-shi, Yamagata
- This 900 year old Japanese style inn located in Akayu Onsen used to be an ”onsen” resort for the Uesugi clan. The abundant hot spring water ”Sakurayu” is popular for making skin beautiful. All 7 private guest rooms are very spacious.
- 740 Akayu, Nanyo, Yamagata
- URL http://www.zao.co.jp/lang/en/sanshuyu/
- Senrian is a ”soba” shop located within a quiet woodland close to Shirataka town, near the Mogami River. The restaurant is housed in an old Japanese-style house, and serves 100 percent buckwheat ”soba” noodles using ”soba” flour from Yamatomachi, Fukushima.
- 1656 Hirono, Shirataka-machi, Nishiokitama-gun, Yamagata
- URL http://www.dewa.or.jp/gami/
Yonetsuru Sake Brewerｙ Co., Ltd.
- Yonetsuru Sake Brewery is a 300 year old ”sake” brewery located in Takahatamachi. They brew high quality ”sake” in the ”Mahoroba no Sato” area which has bountiful clear water and many fruit farms. Yonetsuru has a large fan base from all over Japan because of their unique methods, such as using their own brand of rice ”Kissui” which is suited for sake making. ”Kissui” is a rare brand of rice which Yonetsuru developed especially for their ”sake”, from locally produced rice, ”Kame no O”.
- 1076 Niijuku, Takahata-machi, Yamagata
- URL http://yonetsuru.com/
Yonezawa Beef Farmer, Seiji Ito
- Seiji Ito is involved in agriculture and livestock farming in the Sasano Region of Yonezawa City where he raises Yonezawa Beef brand cattle with his family. Placing emphasis on the importance of day-to-day care of their livestock, the cattle are given homemade feed and straw in order to produce the most flavorful beef with the optimal marbled texture.
- Yonezawa City, Yamagata
Isukia Italian Restaurant
- The name Isukia comes from the Isukia Island in the Gulf of Naples in Italy. Isukia is the first restaurant in the Tohoku region to have passed the strict test of Italy’s ”Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana”and serves certifiably authentic Neapolitan pizza.
- 37-7 Kawabata, Haguromachi Osaeguchi, Tsuruoka, Yamagata
- URL http://honamikaido.com/
- Tendoso is a ”sukiya” style traditional Japanese inn located within the ”onsen” town of Tendo City, famous for ”shogi” piece production. Enclosed in a relaxing ambience, guests can experience the four seasons of Yamagata within the sophisticated setting. The ”kaiseki” cuisine using local ingredients is highly rated.
- 2-2-18 Kamata, Tendo, Yamagata
- URL http://www.tendoso.jp/
Naganuma Goumei Co., Ltd.
- ”Sake” is brewed in this historical brewery designated as a Registered Tangible Cultural Oroperty. ”Soumura” and ”Homarekozakura” labels are carefully hand squeezed using a traditional method called ”funeshibori” giving the ”sake” clear taste. Naganuma continues to explore ways to produce new and superb tasting ”sake”, such as using a new type of rice matched for ”sake”, ”Ushuhomare”, a type of rice developed by Takagi Brewery in Yamagata.
- 1-1-Tokamachi, Nagaishi, Yamagata
Abe Kamabokoten Honten
- A well established shop selling ”sasa kamaboko” in Sendai. The main shop is located in the shopping arcade adjacent to Sendai station. Long lines form even during the week for the every popular ”Hyotan-age”, a steamed ”kamaboko” deep-fried in slightly sweet batter.
- 2-3-18 1F Chuo, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.abekama.co.jp/
Uestu Shinafu/Sekigawa Shinaori Cooperative
- Uetsu Shinafu is a type of fabric that has a long history in the Shonai Region in Yamagata Prefecture to the Echigo Region in Niigata Prefecture. It is considered one of Japan’s Three Greatest Ancient fabrics, and is recorded in ancient literature, ”Engishiki” as dating back all the way to the Heian period. They take the bark from Linden tree, take out the fiber, make thread from it and process it. Since it is all done by hand, the process takes a long time, up to a whole year. The fabric is resilient and moisture resistant, making it suitable for bags and ”noren” curtains.
- 222 Sekigawa, Tsuruoka, Yamagata, Inside Sekigawa Shinaori Fabric Center
Hotel Morinokaze Oushuku
- Hotel Morinokaze is a spa resort hotel surrounded by the nature of Shizukuishi Town. The hotel attracts many guests with their cuisine prepared from carefully selected ingredients, and various accommodation plans. Guests can enjoy the spectacular view of Shuho Iwate Mountains from the large open-air bath, the pride of the hotel.
- 10-64-1 Oshuku, Shizukuishi, Iwate
- URL http://www.morinokaze.com/
Hakuryu, Main Store
- The first shop to serve ”Morioka Jajamen”, one of Morioka’s three great noodles. This is a local gourmet dish using a secret recipe meat ”miso”, cucumber, and green onion on warm ”udon” noodles with a dash of chili oil and garlic. It is also popular to finish off the meal with Zhidan soup by saving a single helping of noodles, and adding broth and a beaten egg.
- 5-15 Uchimaru, Moriokashi
”Chusonji” – head temple of the Tendai sect in the Tohoku region
- Chusonji temple was founded by Jikaku Taishi Ennin in 850. In the 12th century, Kiyohira Fujiwara, who was the lord of the region at the time, ordered a large scale extension of the temple. ”Konjikido”, or “the Golden Hall,” is elaborately decorated with gold leaf inlaid with mother-of-pearl. ”Kyozo” or ”Kyodo” is a storehouse for Buddhist scriptures and artworks from the Heian era which are declared as National Treasure. Also, the architecture is said to depict the ”land of Perfect Bliss” and designated as a World Cultural Heritage in 2011.
- 202 Hiraizumi-Koromonoseki, Hiraizumi-chō, Nishiiwai-gun, Iwate
- URL http://www.chusonji.or.jp/en/
Takkoku-no-iwaya Bishamondo Bettou Takkokuseikouji
- ”Takkoku-no-Iwaya” is a rock cave where the founder Sakanoue no Tamuramaro commemorated his victory over the local Emishi tribes by dedicating the cave to Bishamonten, making the cave a temple. In 2000, there was a large festival to commemorate the 1200th anniversary of its founding. Despite several fires throughout its history, the temple was rebuilt and standing strong to this day. Visitors can see ”Carved Buddha Face on the Rock”, and a large statue of ”Fudo Myo-o”.
- １６ Kitazawa, Hiraizumi, Nishiiwai-gun, Iwate
- URL http://www.iwayabetto.com/mysite1/top.html
- The town of Jobojimachi is known as one of the top producers of lacquer products in Japan, and is home to ”lacquer scraping craftsmen” who are now a rare breed. Learn about and enjoy lacquer products by visiting both the lacquer studio and shop at ”Tekiseisha”. Sometimes, the craftsmen travel around Japan to introduce and promote the culture of lacquer craftwork.
- 23-6 Jobojimachi Onyamanaka Maeta, Ninohe, Iwate
- URL http://en.urushi-joboji.com/life/tekiseisha
Miyako City ”Gyosai” Market
- There are a wide variety of shops at the Miyako City ”Gyosai”(fish and vegetable) Market, including seafood shops selling fresh seafood from the Sanriku coast which is known for being one of the most bountiful fishing grounds in Japan, fruit shops and shops selling delicacies from the mountains. An abundance of products from each season is available, such as sea urchin, abalone, saury, salmon roe, and ”Matsumo” seaweed. You can request home delivery service, so the products are perfect gifts.
- 1-１ Satsukicho, Miyako, Iwate
- URL http://www.gyosai.jp/
Hachiyozan Tendaiji Temple
- It is said that this temple was founded by the monk, Gyoki, under the command of Emperor Shomu in 728 during the Nara period. The main wooden Buddha statue, the standing image of Shokannon (”Keisen bodhisattva”), the main hall, and the Diva gate, ”Nioumon”, are designated as the nation’s Important Cultural Treasures. Within the temple grounds, spring water gushes from the roots of the Katsura trees. Being an ancient temple, Tendaiji attracted the faith of many people for many years, and now stands in quiet beauty.
- 33-1, Jobojimachi Oyamakubo, Ninohe, Iwate
- ”Kogensha”started as a publishing company in 1924. Kenji Miyazawa, a poet and author of children’s literature met with the founder of ”Kogensha” and published a collection of children’s stories ”The Restaurant of Many Orders”. The company now sells a variety of handcrafts created by local people, such as accessories, books, and decorative items. There are two stores in Morioka, and 2 stores in Sendai.
- 2-18 Zaimokucho, Morioka, Iwate
- URL http://morioka-kogensya.sakura.ne.jp/
- Sekiguchiya Kashiho is a traditional confectionery shop that makes and sells Morioka sweets, originally created as a preserved food in the cold region. They use ingredients such as ”mochi” rice, beans, molasses, and sugar syrup to make traditional local sweets like ”Tankiri”, Ginger candy, and ”Karame mochi”. The sweets are also popular as gifts for children since no artificial preservatives or additives are used.
- 2-3 Shimeicho, Morioka, Iwate
Holz Furniture and interior
- Holz Furniture and Interior offers a selection of furniture and interior items that are functional and tastefully designed from Japan and abroad. Also available, original items using carefully chosen materials that add individuality and color to your lifestyle.
- 1-3-10 Saien, Morioka, Iwate
- URL http://www.holz-raum.com/
- Everybody in Morioka knows the traditional Fukuda Bakery. Customers can choose from 50 types of fillings such as peanuts, bean paste, whipped cream, and jam for their own, customized soft ”Koppepan” type of bread. *Every item is handmade and may sell out early.
- 12-11 Nagatacho, Morioka, Iwate
Fukusenji Temple, Komagi, Matsuzaki-cho, Tono, Iwate
- 7-57-1 Komagi, Matsuzaki-cho, Tono, Iwate
Genkiya, Morioka Shop
- Takagenseibaku Corporation manages ”Genkiya”. The company is known for raising and selling ”Hakkinton” or platinum pork. They carefully select the feed, raise the pork with care, and create delicious dishes to draw out the flavor of the Hakkinton pork. The ”shabu shabu” and ”Hakkinton tender kakuni” are memorable dishes that are hard to forget.
- 3-4-1 Odori, 2F Cross Terrace Bldg., Morioka, Iwate
- URL https://morioka.genkiya.co.jp/
A scenic beauty, ”Kita Yamazaki”
- The 8 kilometer coastline is made up of a cliff that is 200 meters tall, strange shaped rocks, and caves of various sizes caused by erosion. ”Kita Yamazaki” is also designated as ”Sanriku Fukko National Park” (Former ”Rikuchu-kaigan National Park”).
- Kitayama, Tanohatamura, Shimoheigun, Iwate
Marukan Department Store
- Marukan Department Store is located in Hanamaki City. The large cafeteria has more than 200 items on the menu and is a favorite gathering point for locals. An especially popular item is the 10 layered soft serve ice cream. It is a local custom to eat the tall ice cream with chopsticks.
- 6-2 Kamicho, Marukan Bldg. 6F, Hanamaki, Iwate
- URL http://www.marukan-group.jp/live/department/
Iwate Hanamaki Onsen, Kappo Ryokan, Hiromitei
- Hiromitei is a traditional Japanese style inn which serves Japanese cuisine using ingredients harvested locally in Iwate Prefecture. Guests can have these dishes served in their rooms. The ”onsen” is also popular, with plenty of hot spring water pulled from Hanamaki hot springs.
- 1-88-1 Yumoto, Hanamaki, Iwate
- URL http://hiromitei.info/
- A well established restaurant that serves ”reimen” or cold noodles, one of the three great noodles of Morioka. Many fans order the cold, transparent and chewy hand-rolled noodles dipped in the slowly stewed, full-bodied soup. Customers can choose from 7 levels of spiciness.
- World In GEN Plaza 2F, 15-5 Moriokaekimaedori, Morioka, Iwate
- URL http://www.gen-plaza.com/seiroukaku/01.htm
Jodogahama Park Hotel
- Jodogahama Park Hotel is located on a hill where guests can enjoy looking down at Miyako City’s scenic spot, ”Jodogahama”. Guests can enjoy the different fresh seafood each season acquired from the Sanriku coast. From the hotel’s indoor and outdoor baths, enjoy the spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean, as well as the beautiful colors of the earliest sunrise in Japan.
- 32-4 Hitachi Hamacho, Miyako, Iwate
- URL https://www.jodo-ph.jp/eng/
Takamura Memorial Museum, Takamura Lodge
- A sculptor and a poet, Kotaro Takamura created many art pieces during World War II. During the War, he had evacuated to Hanamaki city, and after the War, he built a simple cabin where he lived for 7 years. This cabin is now called ”Takamura Lodge”, being preserved and shown to the public. In the memorial museum, visitors can follow his life in this town by looking at his original works and scripts that are on display.
- 3-91 Ota, Hanamaki, Iwate
- URL http://www.hanamaki-takamura-kotaro.jp/
- Yusen Shidate is located on the riverside with mountains on either side. Guests can relax and take in the famous hot spring of Shidodaira, Iwate. Every room has a private outdoor hot spring bath with flowing water directly from the source. There also is a foot bath on the facilities. Professional massage and spa are also popular.
- 11-2 Shidotaira, Yuguchi, Hanamaki, Iwate
- URL http://www.shidate.jp/
Nanbu Magariya, Chiba House
- The Chiba family’s house was built approximately 200 years ago, and is comprised of living quarters and a adjoining horse stable. Since the architecture represents the regional culture of the time, the house is designated an Important Cultural Property. Currently, the parts that are not used as the living quarter are open to the public. Visitors can also see the tools and furniture that had been used in the old days.
- 1-14 Kamiayaori, Ayaoricho, Tono, Iwate
Scenic Spot Geibikei Gorge Boat Ride
- ”Geibikei” is a 2 kilometer gorge surrounded by soaring cliffs. There are impressive rocks and waterfalls scattered throughout the gorge, and is designated as one of the scenic spots of Japan. The boat ride down the river is very popular with tourists where they can enjoy the scenic beauty of the gorge as they listen to the boatman explain about the gorge.
- Machiaza 467, Nagasaka, Higashiyamacho, Ichinoseki, Iwate
- URL http://www.geibikei.co.jp/funakudari/
Cafe & Diner, Cocokana
- Cokokana is a cafe located on the street in front of Tono station. They use seasonal ingredients harvested locally for their dishes, and also serve sweets. This is an ideal spot for a rest when exploring the Toya area, the setting for many folklore.
- 2-1 Chuo-Dori, Tono, Iwate
- Zen specializes in the best tasting ”unagi” or eel. Live ”unagi” is fished from the tank after an order is placed, processed, and grilled slowly over charcoal. Customers can also enjoy fresh seafood caught from the Sanriku coast, which is a treasure chest of fresh and high quality ingredients, or vegetables harvested from local mountains.
- 1-1-2 Saien, Morioka, Iwate
Historical Park ”Esashi Fujiwara no Sato”
- ”Esashi Fujiwara no Sato” is a historical theme park which replicates the architecture of the Heian era. It follows the footsteps of the Northern Fujiwara Family, and visitors can enjoy the rich historical heritage of Hiraizumi. Since the park is famous for being a filming location for films and dramas, it is also known as the ”Hollywood of Michinoku”, drawing many tourists throughout the year.
- 86-1 Konamaru, Iwayado, Esashi, Oshu, Iwate
- URL http://www.fujiwaranosato.com/
Washinoo Co., Ltd.
- Washinoo Co., Ltd. was established in 1829. Since Mount Iwate is also called Ganju-san, meaning ”the mountain of eagle”, the sake made in the brewery located at the foothill of the mountain was named ”Washi no O” or ”The Tail of an Eagle”. The rich sake taste is created using traditional techniques and detailed care.
- 158 Dai 22 chiwari, Oobuke, Hachimantaishi, Iwate
- URL http://www.washinoo.co.jp/english/
Suisen Shuzo Company
- Established in 1931, Suisen Shuzo Company is the only sake brewery in Rikuzentakata City and brew trademark brands ”Suisen” and ”Yukikko”. The brewery was greatly damaged by the Great East Japan earthquake, but the new factory was completed in August 2012. Their goal is ”to brew ”sake” that is mellow, rich and doesn’t become boring”. They continue to brew ”sake” while contributing to the local rebuilding efforts.
- 136-1 Kunabatake, Ikawacho, Ofunato, Iwate
- URL http://suisenshuzo.jp/
Shinnamari Hot Spring, Musubi No Yado Airinkan
- Yusen Shidate is located on the riverside with mountains on either side. Guests can relax and take in the famous hot spring of Shidotaira, Iwate. Every room has a private outdoor hot spring bath with flowing water directly from the source. There is also a foot bath on the facilities. Professional massage and spa are also popular.
- 23 Namari Nishinamari, Hanamaki, Iwate
- URL http://www.airinkan.com/
Tsukinowa Shuzo Limited
- Tsukinowa Shuzo Limited is a long-established ”sake” brewery, founded in 1886. Currently, they have a young team with an average age of 30 led by the 5th generation chief brewer, Yuko Yokozawa. They strive to expand brewing methods by using traditional methods while also challenging new ingredients like ”mochi” rice or Japanese millet.
- 101 Mukaihata, Kosuiji, Shiwa, Shiwa District, Iwate
- URL http://www.tsukinowa-iwate.com/
- A Korean style barbeque restaurant where one can enjoy Maezawa beef from Oshu City. Enjoy fresh and juicy beef which has been locally sourced. Advanced reservations are recommended.
- 2-11 Fukuro-Machi Mizusawa-Ku, Oshu, Iwate
- URL http://www.yakiniku-ryuen.com/
Azumaya Honten (Main Store)
- Azumaya is a long established ”soba”shop where they serve ”Wanko Soba”, a noodle traditionally served at celebratory occasions in Iwate. Customers are given a bowl with a small amount of ”soba”, and when that is empty, the server will keep filling the bowl saying, ”hai jan-jan” until the customer asks them to stop. Enjoy a truly delicious Morioka tradition that locals are proud of.
- 1-8-3 Nakanohashidori, Morioka, Iwate
- URL http://www.wankosoba-azumaya.co.jp/foreigner/english/index.html
Hotel Metropolitan Morioka
- A city hotel located on the upper floors of ”Fes”An”, the JR Morioka Station Building. The hotel provides top notch service to their guests as ”a genuinely hotel like hotel”. An annex hotel ”Hotel Metropolitan Morioka New Wing” is located on Ekimaekita Street, 3 minutes from the station. The convenient location draws a wide variety of guests, ranging from tourists to business people.
- 1-44 Moriokaekimaedori, Morioka, Iwate
- URL http://www.metro-morioka.co.jp/
Chikusenso Mt. Zao Onsen Resort & Spa
- As the first small luxury hotel in the Tohoku area built using foreign capital, it offers modern Japanese decor with a tasteful harmony of Japanese tradition and sophisticated design. The hotel is a combination of a spa and ”onsen” that offers a new, thoroughly relaxing style of healing.
- 88-11, Aza Uwanohara, Togatta-Onsen, Zao-machi, Katta-Gun, Miyagi-Prefecture
- URL http://mtzaoresort.com/en/index.php
Matsushima Sakan Shoan
- A solitary hotel standing at the tip of a cape. The scenery from the hotel windows give the illusion of floating on the sea of Matsushima. The gentle lapping of waves and impeccable service offers a moment of total relaxation.
- Umeki Ichibanchi, Tetaru, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.shoan-umine.com/
- The hotel is situated in a quiet retreat from Sendai, by Natori River. The Japanese style inn offers three elements that will make your visit that much more memorable - a beautiful garden, attractive traditional architecture, and exquisite Japanese cuisine using seasonal ingredients.
- 1 Kamatsuchi Higashi, Akiu-machi, Taihaku-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.saryou-souen.com/
Hotel Metropolitan Sendai
- Located adjacent to JR Sendai Station, very convenient for both business and pleasure. It is one of the leading city hotels in Sendai, with 295 rooms and three restaurants which offer seasonal dishes prepared with fresh, local produce.
- 1-1-1 Chuo, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL https://www.sendaimetropolitan.jp/en-gb
The Westin Sendai
- The hotel has 292 rooms, 3 restaurants that offer international cuisine, and 9 meeting rooms and banquet halls. With the combination of Westin hospitality and a modern decor that has just the right touch of tradition, the hotel offers a luxurious environment.
- 1-9-1 Ichiban-cho, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.westin-sendai.com/
- Mentioned in an old book of the early Heian period, it was worshipped from ancient times as the guardian of Tohoku and the most important shrine in the country of Mutsu. It is also known for its magnificent cherry trees, with more than 300 trees blossoming in the spring including ”Shiogama cherry blossom” which is a Nationally Designated Natural Monument.
- 1-1 Ichimoriyama, Shiogama-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.shiogamajinja.jp/
Osaki Hachimangu Shrine
- Built by Masamune Date in 1607. The main palace is designated a National Treasure as the oldest remaining structure of ”Gongen” style from the Azuchi-Momoyama period. Miyagi’s traditional event ”Donto festival” which is held to wish for a year free of illness, attracts many people from within Miyagi. It is worshipped as a shrine closely connected to the lives of the local citizens.
- 4-6-1 Hachiman, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.okos.co.jp/oosaki/
Kanrantei Tea House and Matsushima Museum
- During the years of Bunroku, the Noryo-tei building was given to Masamune Date by Hideyoshi Toyotomi at which time it was moved from Fushimi-Momoyama Castle to the clan’s residence in Edo Shinagawa. Then the 2nd lord of the clan, Tadamune Date, moved it to its current location without altering a single tree or stone. It is now open to the public, and one can sit and have a bowl of matcha tea while enjoying the view over Matsushima Bay, or view the valuable collection of items owned by the Date family.
- 56 Matsushima Chonai, Matsushima-cho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- URL https://www.town.miyagi-matsushima.lg.jp/index.cfm/8,3105,30,html
- Signature label ”Wataya”, a ”sake” with soft texture and deep taste, is produced using fresh water from Kozo Fudoudaki waterfall. Kanenoi seeks to brew ”sake” that can be enjoyed with meals by using ”Yamadanishiki” grown by contract farmers, or rice from outside the prefecture.
- 1‐1Kawaguchi-machi Ura, Ichihasama, Kurihara-shi, Miyagi
- URL https://www.kanenoi.co.jp/
- Founded in 1712. The motto is to produce ”sake” that ”makes you want to drink more, the more you drink”. Using well-polished rice and underground water of Zao Mountain, the ”sake” has a soft aroma, like that of freshly steamed rice.
- Machi 56-1 Murata, Shibata-gun, Miyagi
Heartful Land Jersey Farm Co., Ltd,
- Produces and sells original dairy products made using only the milk of jersey cows which are reared attentively on a rich pasture. Milk, yogurt, ice cream and creamy caramel candies are sold, offering a taste of the true richness of jersey milk. The milk is also used for ”extra rich jersey yogurt liqueur, made by Niisawa Jozoten.
- 78-3 Dosojin Tajirinumabe, Osaki-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://jersey.shop-pro.jp/
Yamawa Shuzoten Co., Ltd,.
- Locally grown ”Kura no Hana” rice is used as the main ingredient together with ground water from Funagata Mountains which is made suitable for ”sake” brewing by applying a unique technique. Brewed using one-hundred years of skills carried on by the brewery, the result is a a simple and pure ”sake”.
- 109-1 Minamimachi, Kami, Kami-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~yamawa/
- An Italian restaurant with the motto ”Never forget to thank nature, the producers, and the customers”. Serves dishes using the choicest ingredients of each season, either home grown or procured from local farmers.
- Espacio Mukaiyama 1F, 2-2-1 Mukaiyama, Taihaku-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
Beef Tongue Speciality Restaurant; Tsukasa Torayoko-ten
- Thick cut yet surprisingly tender beef tongue which is roasted slowly with oak charcoal from Iwate. Only the tender part of the highest quality Australian beef tongue is used after maturing. A wide range of beef tongue dishes are available, including uncured ham made of beef tongue, a hard to find delicacy.
- Torayoko Building 2F, 4-4-6 Ichibancho, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.gyutan-tsukasa.co.jp/en/index.html
- A cake shop in Kesennuma with 50 years of history. Apart from the popular cakes like swiss rolls, they have products that reflect local specialties such as ”fukahire purin” which uses shark fins (fukahire) for which Kesennuma has the highest catches in Japan, ”Kesennuma specialty Hoya Boya Sable” named after the local mascot, ”Shibukino Mai” which uses locally produced salt, and ”Kesennuma Monogatari” named after the origin of Kesennuma.
- 247-3 Matsuzaki Kitazawa, Kesennuma-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://gateauxsaitou.com/
PADRINO DEL SHOZAN
- An Italian restaurant which creates flavorful dishes using seasonal delicacies of the sea and land from all over the country. You can enjoy the dishes, which have a refined taste, aroma and texture, together with the choicest wine selected by a sommelier, and attentive service.
- 2-1-50 Kamisugi, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.shozankan.com/padrino-del-shozan
Ichinokura Co., Ltd.
- Coexistence with nature, passing on tradition, customer satisfaction, regional development - these are what Ichinokura takes to heart when making ”sake”. Social contribution is an important activity along with brewing ”sake” by hand. The sparkling ”sake” ”Suzune”, which is as smooth as champagne, was used at the toast of the Japan Academy Awards.
- Okeyaki 14 Matsuyamasengoku, Osaki-shi, Miyagi
- URL https://ichinokura.co.jp/en
Matsushima Bay Cruises
- A cruise to enjoy the scenic beauty of Matsushima Bay with its 260 islands. Take in the culture and history of Matsushima, while cruising around the islets and bizarre shaped rocks which are like works of art created by nature. Apart from the regular ferry services, middle and small sized boats can be chartered, so you can create a cruise that suits your schedule.
- Chōnai-85 Matsushima, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.matsushima.or.jp/index_2.html
Shiogama Sushi Tetsu, Honten
- A well established ”sushi” restaurant that has attracted many people in the town of Shiogama which is known as ”the best sushi town in Japan”. The ”sushi” made from fresh fish from the Sanriku Sea, prepared with perfect balance, and served on ”Arita-yaki” dishware is pleasing to both the eye and palate.
- 2-22 Kaigan Dori, Shiogama-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.shiogama-sushitetsu.com/
Taishuu Shokudo Tsuka Yu
- Tome-shi produces a lot of ”aburafu” which is made from deep frying wheat gluten in vegetable oil. The restaurant was founded in 1922, and its specialty is ”aburafu don”, which is made from ”aburafu” and chicken eggs. ”Aburafu don” is gaining popularity as a healthy, tasty, inexpensive dish.
- 103 Teraike Sakurakoji, Toyomamachi, Tome-shi, Miyagi
Kamaboko Honpo, Takamasa Onagawa Honten ”Mangoku no Sato”
- Kamaboko Honpo Takanawa sells freshly baked or fried ”kamaboko”, including items exclusive to the Onagawa shop, and boxed assortments. You can experience ”sasa kamaboko” making and tour the Mangoku fully electric factory (first fully electric factory in the industry). Enjoy every aspect of ”kamaboko” at this facility.
- 21 Urashukuhama, Hamada, Onagawa-machi, Oshika-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.takamasa.net/mangoku.php
- A ”kamaboko” shop which has continued to use traditional methods since its foundation in 1972. It is famous for ”kichiji” which is a ”kamaboko” made from an expensive fish, and has a distinct texture that draws out the savory taste of the fish. The shop was damaged in the Great East Japan Earthquake, but has now resumed production and sales.
- 1-9-11 Chuo, Ishinomaki-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://sasakama.co.jp/
- Using cream cheese and cream produced in Zao and other select local ingredients, they make and sell cheesecake (”Kai”, ”Minori” Fruits Basket, Double Fromage), Fluffy Snow Pudding and Chu Pudding in mayonnaise tubes (which sold 2000 per day at a highway rest stop), all of which are very popular items.
- 1-20-4 Miyachiyo, Miyagino-ku. Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://morinoka.jp/
- A mausoleum built in 1636, in accordance with the will of Lord Masamune Date, the first feudal lord of Sendai clan who died at the age of 70. Although it burned down during the war, it was reconstructed and renovated, and one can view the gorgeous building, just as it was originally.
- 23-2 Otamayashita, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL https://www.zuihoden.com/en/
Onsen Sanso Radish Flowers
- This Japanese style inn consists of 18 independent cottages each with a taste of its own, and is located within 33,000 square meters of woodlands which looks out to the foot of the beautiful ”Zao” mountain, offering a space of luxury. Each room offers views of the nostalgic countryside, such as the vegetable garden or woods.
- 21-7 Kitayama, Togatta Onsen, Zao-machi, Katta-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.ichinobo.com/daikon-no-hana/
Yonezawa beef barbecue Sendai Kotora Sendai Station Branch
- A restaurant specializing in Yonezawa beef, a brand of beef highly recognized nationwide. Yonezawa beef, which is raised with great care in the unique climate of the Yamagata Okitama area by stock farmers, has a very fine quality and marbling that melts on your tongue. The meat is served at its best, with attention to details such as how its cut, presentation, and with an explanation of each meat part.
- Herb SENDAI 8F, 1-6-1 Chuo, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://team-toranomon.com/
Ishiwata Shoten co., Ltd.
- Founded in 1957 in Kesennuma which has the highest production of shark fins in Japan. As a specialist of shark fins, the company contributed to the development of the processing technology and commercialization of shark fins by coming up with a way to keep the collagen sealed within the shark fins. The premium quality products are widely used in restaurants in and out of Japan. Overcoming devastating damage from the Great East Japan Earthquake, it has resumed production.
- 228-77 Matsuzaki Yanagisawa, Kesennuma-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.ishiwatashoten.co.jp/
- A Japanese restaurant which uses seasonal ingredients from the sea of Sanriku and from the mountains of Tohoku, and prepares them with attentive skill. The elaborate dishes are highly praised by repeat customers.
- 15-1 Nagasawa-cho, Shiogama-shi, Miyagi
- This Japanese style inn stands as if protecting the pine trees lining the shore. The most attractive feature is the open-air bath, which is the closest to Matsushima of all the inns in the area. Every bath area has a view over Matsushima Bay, so you can enjoy the breathtaking view of Matsushima, be it in the morning sun, during the day or at night, while having a relaxing dip in the hot tub.
- 35-2 Senzui, Matsushima, Matsushima-machi, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- URL http://www.new-komatsu.co.jp/en/
Freshly fired Korokke Ya
- A delicatessen, which sells 70 yen ”crispy korokke” and other products, is a local favorite. Currently, the shop is located in Kesennuma Reconstruction Shopping Area, selling piping hot, freshly fried products.
- Kesennuma Fukko Shoutengai To, 1-15 Minami-machi, Kesennuma-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://kesennumafs.com/korokke
Wagyu Black Beef Restaurant Gyumasa Sendai Branch
- The owner goes to the livestock market to personally purchase the Sendai beef cow whole. A restaurant specializing in Sendai beef which is barbecued slowly over charcoal. Because they purchase the entire cow, the menu is varied, and visitors can enjoy Sendai beef to their heart’s content. The restaurant has private rooms only.
- Kakitoku Biru 3F, 4-9-1 Ichiban-cho, Aoba-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://www.gyumasa.com/
Hotel Zuiho Geihinkan Sakura Rikyu
- The hotel stands amongst the abundant nature of the Akiu area, where you can enjoy the sound of Rairaikyo ravine, murmurings of a nearby stream, or the twittering of local birds. The hotel is built in Sukiya-style, a compilation of the traditional beauty of Japanese architecture. Enjoy a quiet and relaxing moment at this getaway.
- 26-1 Yumotonozoki, Akiu-machi, Taihaku-ku, Sendai-shi, Miyagi
- URL http://sakurarikyu.com/
- Japanese style inn in Yamanaka Onsen that allows you to getaway from the city and immerse yourself in nature
- 922-0128 Ro-140 Yamanakaonsen Korogimachi, Kaga, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.koorogirou.jp/
- Japanese style inn in the Yamashiro Onsen area offering a moment of tranquility
- 55-1-3 Yamashiro Onsen, Kaga, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.mukayu.com/
Yoshigaura Onsen Lamp no Yado
- Located inside Noto Hanto Quasi-National Park, Japanese style inn exudes the artistry of light, creating an ethereal world
- 927-1451 10-11 Jike Misaki-machi, Suzu, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.lampnoyado.co.jp/
Artist, Mayuko Sakauchi
- Mayuko Sakauchi is an artist who uses natural materials such as ramie, ”washi”, lacquer and plants for her work. She graduated from the Art Department of Tohoku University of Art and Design in 2009, and completed her master’s at the same university in 2011. Major exhibitions include ”Seed of Time” at coexistgallery (Tokyo), KUAD+TUAD ”Emerging #1” Arts Chiyoda 3331 (Tokyo), and ”Arts Festival of Aizu-lacquer” (Fukushima Prefecture) in 2011, and ”Wa Exhibition” (Tokyo) in 2012.
- Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- Beauty of form is in full harmony with the beautiful colors of nature at this Japanese style inn. You can feel and taste the seasons with dishes which pursue both tradition and innovation. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the adjacent gardens and glass museum on the property.
- 2-14 Hisui no sato, Iizaka Onsen, Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://www.hisuinosato.com/en/
Mount Bandaisan, Enichiji Temple, Golden Pavilion
- Enichiji Temple is the oldest known temple in the Tohoku region. The main building ”Kondo”(Golden Pavilion) was restored in 2008. Visitors can learn about the Buddhist culture rooted in the history of Aizu in the adjacent archives.
- 4614-5 Bandai Motodera Hachiman, Bandaimachi, Yamagun, Fukushima
Shirokiya Lacquerware Shop Co., Ltd.
- Shirokiya is a lacquerware shop with a history of about 300 years. Construction of the building was completed in 1914, and incorporates Renaissance style, adding dignity to the European style building. In addition to housing documents related to ”Aizu-nuri” in its archives, the shop sells 1000 pieces of lacquerware lined up on rows of modern glass shelves.
- 1-2-10 Oomachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL https://www.shirokiyashikkiten.com/english/index.html
Miyaizumimeijo Co., Ltd.
- Miyaizumimeijo Co., Ltd. makes trademark labels ”Miyaizumi” and ”Sharaku” in Toei-cho, the castle town of Aizu Castle. Using spring water and rice from Aizu, they continue to make ”sake” that is a local favorite. They strive to improve the quality of ”sake” each year.
- 8-7 Toei-cho, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.miyaizumi.co.jp
Yumegokoro Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
- By using naturally rich underground water from Mount Ide, the brewery makes Fukushima brand yeast, ”Utsukushima Dream Yeast”. Flagship brands ”Naraman” and ”Yumegokoro”are made with the special yeast together with locally produced ”Gohyakumangoku rice”. They aim to create rich tasting sake which can only be made locally.
- 2932 Kitamachi, Kitakata, Fukushima
- URL http://www.yumegokoro.com/
Shosaku Takahashi Sake Brewery Store
- The trademark label ”Aizu Musume” is created using the ”dosan doho” method in the depths of the Aizu snow. In their pursuit to create better ” sake”, pesticide and chemical free, home grown rice is used by the Aizu brew master to create rich, flavorful ”sake”.
- 755 Higashi, Ichinoseki, Mondenmachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://aizumusume.a.la9.jp/
- Japan’s first Western-style ranch. Cleared for cultivation by the order of the Meiji Emperor, it was operated as a ranch for the Imperial Household Agency. Current activities include agriculture, dairy farming and processing of dairy products and the 100,00 square meter land. There is also an area where visitors can interact with animals or ride horses, offering an opportunity to experience nature.
- 225 Sakuramachi, Kagamiishimachi, Iwase, Fukushima
- URL http://www.iwasefarm.com/
- A Japanese style inn in Dake Onsen within the Adatarayama Mountains. The inn is very popular for its sophisticated ”kaiseki” style meals and warm hospitality. The harmony of comfortable Japanese-style rooms and antique European furniture makes one nostalgic.
- 1-104 Dake Onsen, Nihonmatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.hana-kanzashi.com
- Located in Shiodome waterfront in the heart of Tokyo with great access to major business area, sightseeing spots and the airport. With the perfect blend of a luxury hotel and modern Japanese style, guests will be treated to a comforting and relaxing experience..
- 1-9-1 Higashishinbashi, Minato, Tokyo
- URL http://www.conradtokyo.co.jp/
Otogi no Yado Komeya
- Enjoy free flowing hot springs water directly from the source in the open air bath. The bath water is so clear that the surface reflects the surrounding forest like a mirror. The mineral rich hot springs almost clings to the skin, and the mist in the steam sauna uses 100% source water, providing excellent healing powers. The inn is full of ideas that allow you to unwind, such as seasonal dishes with a fairy tale theme, and comfortable rooms.
- 168-2 Kasagi, Iwabuchi, Sukagawa-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://e-yoneya.com
- Nestled in Aizuwakamatsu, Tsuruga Castle is also called ”Wakamatsu Castle”, and was built in 1593. A number of warlords have reigned over the castle, and it is widely known as the stage of the Boshin War. Currently operating as ”Tsuruga Castle Tenshukaku Museum”, many valuable documents are on display.
- 1-1 Outemachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.tsurugajo.com/language/eng/
Joint Venture Company Kawamura Shuzoten
- Established in 1922. They succeed traditional Nanbu ”sake” brewing techniques which have been handed down for generations at Ishidoriyacho in Hanamaki city, a town known as the homeground for Nanbu style ”sake” brewing. Their flagship brands are ”Nanbuzeki” and ”Yoemon”, named after the founder. They try to remain in close synchronicity with local nature by using home grown rice, etc.
- 12-132 Isidoriyacho, Hanamaki, Iwate
Kobiragata Tenmangū Shrine
- This shrine is located on the shores of Lake Inawashiro, and is known as the third largest shrine in Japan. The shrine deifies god of learning Michizane Sugawara, and students visit from all over the country as they prepare for entrance exams.
- 1615 Ko, Nishihama, Nakakomatsu, Inawashiromachi, Yamagun, Fukushima
Tsuchiyu Onsen Tatsumiya Sanso Satonoyu
- The Japanese style inn is nestled in the valley of the Bandai Asahi National Park. Enjoy Tsuchiyu Onsen to your heart’s content, the origin of which is said to date back to the gods. In the midst of the primeval forest is an open-air bath and walking paths which embody the pleasures of comfortable living.
- 27-2 Akutojiri, Tsuchiyu Onsen machi, Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://www.satonoyu.com
Genba Honten Co., Ltd.
- Genba Honten was founded in 1823, and has been brewing sake for about 190 years. Located in Tamura, an area known for its abundant rice production, local rice and underground water from the Abukuma Mountains is used to make their signature label ”Abukuma”. Also acting as the master brewer, the owner himself does the ”shikomi” or preparation, creating ”sake” that they hope will be adored for years to come.
- 41 Kitamachi Tori, Funehiki, Funehikimachi, Tamura, Fukushima
The Ritz Carlton Tokyo
- Located in the multi-functional Tokyo Midtown facility where guests can experience a variety of culture, fashion and art. Since opening in 2007, it was selected as a Red Pavilion in the Michelin guide for 5 consecutive years, and provides the highest quality service and peace of mind.
- Tokyo Midtown, 9-7-1 Akasaka, Tokyo
- URL http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/japan/tokyo
Hotel New Otani, Executive House Zen
- ”Executive House Zen” has a totally new concept and is a ”hotel within a hotel” located on the 11th and 12th floor of ”The Main” section of the Hotel New Otani. Indulge yourself in the elegant guest rooms which portray Japanese traditional culture with a theme of ”wabi” and ”sabi”, while enjoying the refined service of the exclusive staff.
- 4-1 Kioicho, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL http://www.newotani.co.jp/tokyo/stay/exe/index.html
Park Hyatt Tokyo
- Located quietly between the 39th and 52nd floors of ”Shinju Park Tower”, the hotel has earned acclaim with attractive restaurants like ”New York Grill & Bar” and ”Kozue. Immerse yourself in the city and skies of Tokyo, while enjoying the beautiful views, and allow yourself to relax and unwind.
- 3-7-1-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo
- URL https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/japan/park-hyatt-tokyo/tyoph
Hotel Okura Tokyo
- One the oldest hotels in Japan which has been welcoming Japanese and overseas visitors with the beauty of Japan since opening its doors in 1962. The unchanging spirit of ”kindness and harmony” blends comfortably with the beautiful Japanese interior, creating a warm and calming ambience.
- 2-10-4 Toranomon, Minato, Tokyo
- URL http://www.hotelokura.co.jp/tokyo/en/
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
- Began operations as a guest house in 1980, and has a history of hosting many important guests from around the world. The hotel offers a touch of tradition while the guest rooms have been updated with modern conveniences, and the attention to detail will allow guests to relax in full comfort. Enjoy service that has been honed over the years, sure to leave a lasting impression.
- 1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL https://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/index.html
The Peninsula Tokyo
- The hotel faces the Imperial Palace Garden and Hibiya Park, and is conveniently located close to Ginza and Tokyo stations. The 314 functional rooms, 5 restaurants and spa all boast an interior design mixed with exquisite Japanese taste and Peninsula Hospitality, so guests can truly immerse themselves in luxury.
- 1-8-1 Yurakucho, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL https://www.peninsula.com/en/tokyo/5-star-luxury-hotel-ginza
Mandarin Oriental Tokyo
- The first hotel in the world to receive 6 stars, the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo was selected as No 1 in the prestigious ”Top 100 Hotels in the World” ranking in 2010. A city resort with an amazing view of the Kanto plains, fully equipped with a Michelin star restaurant and spa.
- 2-1-1 Nihonbashi Muromachi, Chuo, Tokyo
- URL https://www.mandarinoriental.com/tokyo/nihonbashi/luxury-hotel
Palace Hotel Tokyo
- The Palace Hotel began operations on May 17, 2012 in an amazing location in the heart of the city, surrounded by lush greens and water. The 290 guest rooms are very spacious with at least 45㎡, and the hotel has a selection of 10 restaurants and bars, and the first ”Evian Spa Tokyo” in Japan.
- 1-1-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL https://en.palacehoteltokyo.com/
The Capitol Hotel Tokyu
- Located next to the National Diet Building and other government buildings in Nagatacho, Tokyo. It began operations in 2010, inheriting the history of the former ”Tokyo Hilton Hotel” and ”Capitol Tokyu Hotel”. Surrounded by the greenery of Hie Shrine, the property is filled with the beautiful Japanese design of architect Kengo Kuma. The comforting hospitality will allow you to enjoy a moment of ”yawaragi (calmness)”.
- 2-10-3 Nagatacho, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL https://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/global/capitol-h/
Shangri-La Hotel Tokyo
- This state of the art hotel is comfortable yet glamorous, offering warm, heartfelt service. Located close to Ginza and Nihonbashi, the hotel is convenient yet still allows guests to unwind in luxury, providing an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world.
- Marunouchi Trust Tower Main building, 1-8-3 Marunouchi, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL http://www.shangri-la.com/tokyo/shangrila/
Grand Hyatt Tokyo
- "The hotel is located in the ”Roppongi Hills” complex. Roppongi in Minato ward is a city of international culture where cultures from around the world come together. The facilities are versatile, able to cater to both business and party styles and , ,style, party style and various other needs with a luxurious space providing a calm hotel stay."
- 6-10-3 Roppongi, Minato, Tokyo
- URL http://tokyo.grand.hyatt.jp/hyatt/hotels-tokyo-grand/
Heart Rock Village
- The suite is the largest on the island, and every guest room has a private terrace. The symbolic tree of the resort is the Gajumaru, and guests can enjoy the nature of Ogasawara in the harmony and comfort of the property.
- Azumacho, Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- URL http://take-na.com/village/
- Reopening in 2011, the beautiful white walls of the seaside property stand out from the bright blue skies and beautiful green of nature in the background. One of the five guest rooms is available for guests who are traveling with their pet.
- Nishimachi, Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- URL http://www.aqua.jpn.com/
Takahashi Peach Garden
- Fukushima Prefecture boasts the nation’s leading peach production. Tadayoshi Takahashi, an expert peach farmer with many admirers, is actively involved in breeding new varieties of peach such as ”Yuuka no Yume”, ”CX” and ”Yumekaori” which are nearly twice the size of standard peaches.
- 13 Baba、Miyoda, Tsukidatemachi, Fukushima
Satoyama no Auberge Maki no Oto
- Japanese style inn restricted to 3 groups per day, extending ”omotenashi” style hospitality
- 939-1844 140 Noguchi, Nanto, Toyama
- URL http://www.makinooto.co.jp/
Shokawa Onsenkyo Sanrakuen
- Two ”nigori” type hot springs make your skin smooth and supple at this Japanese style inn
- 932-0305 839 Shogawamachi Kanaya, Tonami, Toyama
- URL http://www.sanrakuen.com/
River Retreat Gagaku
- A relaxing Japanese style inn offering a blend of nature, people and art
- 939-2224 56-2 Kasuga, Toyama, Toyama
- URL http://www.garaku.co.jp/
Hayama Hotel Otowa no Mori
- Standing on a hill overlooking the Chojagasaki Coast, the resort has an atmosphere reminiscent of the south of France where you can enjoy the beautiful view of Sagami Bay from the guest rooms and restaurant.
- 5596-1 Akiya, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL https://www.otowanomori.jp/english/
- Suishoen has a stylish décor and offers a contemporary style of relaxation, complete with private outdoor hot spring baths in all 23 guestrooms. A luxurious inn in Hakone Kowakidani Onsen that features a Spa using an exclusive line of world renowned Sisley products.
- 519-9 Kowakidani, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa
- URL http://www.hakonesuishoen.jp/
SCAPES THE SUITE
- ”An escape to a beautiful landscape” as their concept, you can relax in quality comfort while also enriching your senses at this resort.
- 922-2 Horiuchi, Hayama-machi, Miura-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.scapes.jp/
- Located in Okuyugawara, the Japanese style inn is beautifully built in the traditional ”sukiya-zukuri” style. ”Kaiseki” cuisine is presented with heartfelt Japanese hospitality.
- 776 Miyakami, Yugawara-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa
- URL https://www.tubaki.net/en/
- The retreat of a hideout quietly standing in Oku Yagawara. Stay committed to hospitality limited to two pairs a day, you can spend luxurious time enjoying the natural nature and soft springs of this area, the fine space to your heart's content.
- 683-18 Miyakami, Yugawara-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://okuyugawara.jp/
Izumibashi Sake Brewery Co., Ltd.
- The brewery blends blessings of the local environment using quality ”sake” rice produced in Ebina to create their trademark labels which include ”Izumibashi” and ”Tonbo Label Series”.
- 5-5-1 Shimoimaizumi, Ebina-shi, Kanagawa
- URL http://www.izumibashi.com/
Kumazawa Brewing Company
- A brewery producing sake for 140 years in the Shonan area, their trademark label ”Tensei” and ” Shoko” cannot be produced in large amounts but are made with extra care. There is a restaurant on the premise which is made from a renovated ”sakagura”, where guests can savor food that pair well with ”sake”.
- 7-10-7 Kagawa, Chigasaki-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.kumazawa.jp/
- Surrounded by abundant nature, they use fresh spring water from Tanzawa Mountain Range to produce a well-balanced ”sake” that pairs well with food. The exquisite tasting premium sake, ”Sagaminada” is created using the ”muroka-binkakoi” method where ”newly born sake” is bottled.
- 702 Negoya, Midori-ku, Sagamihara-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.tsukui.ne.jp/kubota/
Oya Takashi Shuzou
- This brewery has been making ”sake” since 1830. The ”sake” is matured for one to three years to bring out the ”umami” flavor. Their trademark label ”Shoryuhorai” is at its best when served warm.
- 521 Aikawa-machi, Aiko-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.hourai.jp/
- Ogasawara Islands was designated as a World Heritage Site in 2011. The archipelago has a varied landscape, geology, ecosystem, biodiversity and nature that has involved independently from the mainland. Dolphin watching and eco-tourism draws many visitors.
- 1-4-25 Yushima, Bunkyo, Tokyo
- URL http://www.seido.or.jp/
- Built in 456 to worship Ameno Tajikarao No Mikoto, it began to attract academics and writers to worship the god of learning when Lord Michimasa Sugawara was also enshrined in 1355. The shrine is known widely as ”Yushima Tenjin” and many people visit to pray for success in academics.
- 3 Chome-30-１ Yushima, Bunkyō, Tokyo
- URL http://www.yushimatenjin.or.jp/pc/
- Established in 730 when Oonamuchinomikoto was enshrined. Its official name is ”Kanda Jinja”. From ancient times, it attracted followers from 108 towns including Kanda, Nihonbashi, Akihabara and Otemachi as the main god protecting the traditions of Edo culture. Every other year in May, the ”Kanda Matsuri” festival is held and is considered one of the three great festivals of Edo.
- 2 -16-2 Sotokanda, Chiyoda, Tokyo
- URL http://www.kandamyoujin.or.jp/
Suzumoto Entertainment Hall
- First opened as “Gundanseki Honmokutei” in 857, it continues to entertain people with ”rakugo” a form of Japanese comedy. There are two shows, a matinee and evening, both of which offer down-to-earth renditions of ”rakugo”, ”manzai” and ”shamisen mandan”.
- 2-7-12 Ueno, Taito, Tokyo
- URL http://www.rakugo.or.jp/
Jyodoshu, Daihonzan Zojoji
- One of the seven greatest temples of the Jodoshu sect of Buddhism, the official name is ”Sanenzan Koudoin Zoujoji”. Built in 1393, it attracted a lot of followers as the resting place of the Tokugawa family. The ”Sankai Datsumon ?” facing the main street was built in 1622, and is designated as the nation’s Important Cultural Property as a wooden structure from the early Edo period.
- 4-7-35 Shibakoen, Minato, Tokyo
- URL http://www.zojoji.or.jp/en/
Gero Onsen Hanarenoyado, Tsukinoakari
- Guests can relax at this Japanese style inn where all guest rooms are individual cottages.
- 758-15 Yunoshima, Gero City, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://tsuki.gero-spa.co.jp/en/
- Enjoy the beautiful view at this Japanese style inn in Yoro Onsen
- 61 Kadoyakado, Gifu-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://www.yukinosato.co.jp/lg_en/
Gyokusendo Shuzo Co., Ltd.
- ”Minogiku”- mellow ”sake” made from clear soft water
- 800-3 Takada, Yoro-cho, Yoro-gun, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://www.minogiku.co.jp/
Shiraki Tsunesuke Co. Ltd.
- ”Daruma Masamune”- matured ”sake” carries the appeal of ”ko-shu.”
- 61 Kadoyakado, Gifu-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL https://www.daruma-masamune.co.jp/ct/english/
Michizakura Brewery Co., Ltd.
- The blessings of nature are poured into each bottle of ”sake” in the form of clear water from the Tsukechi River which flows through the primeval forest.
- 25 Tase, Nakatsugawa-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://michizakura.jp/
Nakashima Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
- Produces trademark sake of ”Mizuho-no-kuni” - ”Shiroku” and ”Kozaemon”
- 7181-1 Toki-cho, Mizunami-shi, Gifu
- URL http://www.kozaemon.jp/english/
- The well located on the property surrounded by ”keyaki” (Zelkova) trees is indeed a ”spring of happiness”. The source of the rich and plentiful spring water is in Tama Okuchichibu, and is perfectly suited for creating the trademark ”Kasen” brand. Historical handcrafting methods of master brewer Nambu has been carried on by local young brewers at this brewery.
- 626 Fussa, Fussa,Tokyo 197-0011
- URL http://www.seishu-kasen.com/
Gifu Miyako Hotel
- Enjoy your stay at this elegant hotel overlooking the Nagara River.
- 2695-2 Nagara Fukumitsu, Gifu City, Gifu
- URL https://www.miyakohotels.ne.jp/gifu/english/index.html/
- You can enjoy pottery at this Japanese style inn in Gero Onsen.
- 1113 Koden, Gero City, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://www.shougetsu.jp/
- Located on the street of Otaka in Kokubunji, this is a ”soba” restaurant where you can try ”soba tasting” instead of a ”sake tasting”. More than 30 varieties of buckwheat from all over Japan is used to make ”soba”, and you can enjoy the characteristics and flavors from each region. You can also order different grades of grinding and sifting to create a ”soba” to you liking.
- 3-19-34 Higashi Motomachi, Kokubunji Tokyo
Ogasawara Rum & Liquor Ltd.
- Rum was made from the old days by the western settlers in the Ogasawara Islands. After the islands were returned to mainland Japan, rum production resumed and began selling in 1992. Ogasawara climate is suited for growing sugarcane, a key ingredient, and you can almost feel the tropical atmosphere in the strong flavor of this local liquor.
- Hyogidaira Hahajima, Ogasawara, Tokyo
- URL http://www.oga-rum.com/
Asian Time Resort Hotel: Kakureya
- A resort hotel with independent cottages. Every room has an outside bathtub and jacuzzi, as well as in-room meals and spa service. You can enjoy privacy as if you were at your own country house.
- 1645 Nakayama, Inashiki-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.kakure-ya.com/
Uguisu Tani Onsen – Takeno Ha
- A Japanese style inn located beside the Nittsima River in Kita Ibaraki. Enjoy the abundant local seafood where the ”kuroshio” and ”oyashio” currents merge, as well as the delicacies from the mountains. Relax in harmony with the surrounding forest.
- 2275 Isoharachō Isohara, Kitaibaraki-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.uguisudani-onsen.com
Fukuroda Onsen Omoide Romankan
- A comfortable hotel where Western-style and modern Japanese-style blend together. Close to ”Fukuroda Fall”, one of the three greatest waterfalls in Japan. Fukuroda ”onsen” is pulled directly from the source, and is known as the ”hot spring for beauty”. The perfect location for exploring nature around Okukuji.
- 978 Fukuroda, Daigo-machi, Kuji-gun, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.roman-kan.jp/
Limited partnership company: Urazato Syuzo,
- The brewery is located at the foot of a sacred mountain; Mount Tsukuba. Using Ogawa yeast, they create ”Kiri Tsukuba”with care. ”Daiginjou 3 year Koshu, Chikara” is a matured ”sake” which has been aged for 3 years in freezing temperatures, and is famous for the soft but deep flavor.
- 982 Yoshinuma, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.kiritsukuba.co.jp/
- Using spring water from the Kinugawa River, ”Buyu” is made by aging ”sake” to create a pleasant and deep flavor. While passing on the techniques of the ”Echigo Toji” style of making ”sake”, they also began making a local ”sake” called ”Yuki Toji ” in Heisei 8 (1996).
- 144 Yuki, Yuki-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.buyu.jp
Raifuko Shuzo Ltd.
- This brewery has been in operation for 300 years since Kyoho 1; 1716. ”Raifuku” is a famous ”sake” created using yeast from flowers. They also use rice specifically for making ”sake” called ”Hitachi Nishiki”, and polish it to 8% of the original grain, to create a new style of ”sake”.
- 1626, Murata, Chikusei-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.raifuku.co.jp/
- Tamawarai is a ”soba” restaurant tucked away in a residential area near the city center. Using buckwheat from a contracted farm, they grind with care and create a deep flavored ”soba”. Serving straight ”soba” (”seiro”), large plate (”atsumori”), and dipping sauces customized for the style of ”soba”, the simple ”soba” dishes continue to attract fans..
- 5-23-3 Jingumae, Shibuya, Tokyo
Nature experience Guide: SolMar
- Takashi Kaneko is a tour guide specializing in ecotours and nature tours since 1991. Working to protect the natural environment and develop eco tourism in the Ogasawara Archipelago, Kaneko conveys the beauty of nature through sea kayak and trekking tours.
- Okumura, Chichijima, Ogasawara, Tokyo
- URL http://ogasawara-solmar.com/
- A Japanese ”kappo” style restaurant where you can local delicacies such as ”shima-ebi”, loggerhead turtle and island fruit.
- Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- The southernmost restaurant in Tokyo, a delicious eatery in Hahajima where options for dining out are limited. Service is available for lunch and dinner, as well as packed lunch boxes, and is a favorite among locals as their ”kitchen”.
- Motochi, Hahajima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- The shrine began when Lord Tadayori Ogasawara, who discovered the Ogasawara Islands, created the base and pillar of ”Dai Nippon Tenshoukou Taijingu”. The entire area around Ogami Mountain is maintained as Ogamiyama Park, and the entire Futami Bay can be viewed from the plaza near the shrine.
- Higashimachi, Chichijima, Ogasawara village, Tokyo
- Surrounded by the nature of Chichijima in the Ogasawara Islands, this café cultivates coffee using the Agroforestry method, taking advantage of the blessings of the mountains and ocean. The cafe is open every Saturday and Sunday, and is frequented by the island locals who enjoy the hand harvested and hand roasted artisanal coffee.
- Kita Fukurosawa, Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- URL http://uskcoffee.com/
Chita Peninsula Shogetsu
- Situated on the hill of Chita Peninsula, allow yourself to melt into the ocean breeze at this Japanese style inn.
- 80 Utsumi Maeyama, Minamichita-cho, Chita-gun, Aichi Prefecture
- URL http://www.shougetsu.jp/sea/
- High class hotel located on the main street of Nagoya, Hirokoji Fushimi.
- 3-3 Sakae 1-chome, Naka-ku, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture
- URL https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/japan/hilton-nagoya-NAGHITW/index.html
Ten no Maru Bettei Kaze no Tani no Iori
- A relaxing, comfortable Japanese style inn with outdoor baths in every guest room.
- 10 Aza Tobone, Oaza Ogi, Kota-cho, Nukata-gun, Aichi
- URL https://www.kazenotaninoiori.jp/en/
Sushi Kappo, Kansa
- Kappo style Japanese restaurant where you can enjoy island ”sushi”, turtle dishes and other local Ogasawara cuisine. Since it first opened 40 years ago, it has been a gathering spot for travelers.
- Azumacho, Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- URL http://www.mmjp.or.jp/hotel-horizon/KANZA/
- This is an auberge with a restaurant as well as hotel facility. They offer both Western and Japanese food, using fresh island ingredients in a free-spirited form, enabling visitors to really enjoy the flavors of the season.
- Azumacho, Chichijima, Ogasawara-mura, Tokyo
- URL http://www.auberugesato.com/
- "Kishimojin”, the goddess for safe birth and child rearing, is enshrined here. Its roots date back to the Muromachi period when the original statue was discovered from a well near the current Mejirodai, Bunkyo area. In 1964, it was designated as Tangible Cultural Property of Tokyo.
- 3-15-20 Zoshigaya, Toshima, Tokyo
- URL http://www.kishimojin.jp/
- Founded in 1860, still continuing ”sake” production in its original location in Oyama-city. Produces trademark labels ”Wakakoma” (with a drawing of a young horse ”wakakoma” on the label) and ”Kanetamaru”. The ”sake” is produced using a traditional method in an old ”kura” warehouse, a building registered as a Tangible Cultural Property.
- 169-1 Ooaza Kogusuri, Oyama-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- Premium label ”Matsuno-kotobuki” is made from very soft water, which springs from the mountains backing the brewery. The masterful ”sake” brewing techniques of the ”Shimotsuke” brew masters drives the food culture of Tochigi Prefecture.
- 3683 Funyu, Shioya-machi, Shioya-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.matsunokotobuki.jp/
Kinugawa Onsen Wakatakeno Sho Bettei Sasane
- A Japanese style inn with only 16 rooms located in the rural mountains overlooking the Kinugawa River. Each room has a private open air bath with hot spring water flowing directly from its source where you can relax and unwind.
- 136 Fujihara, Kinugawa Onsen, Nikko-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://wakatakenosyou.co.jp/sasane/
- ”Nikki Club” with its restaurant and spa, is situated in the Yokozawa area, noted for its scenic beauty among the foothills of the Nasu-kogen Highlands. Consisting of various facilities, it is reminiscent of an European art village, and attracts a lot of visitors.
- 2301 Takakuotsu Michishita, Nasu-machi, Nasu-gun
- URL http://www.nikiclub.jp/en/index.html
- Produces renowned label of Tochigi ”Houou Biden” and ”Bidenzuru”both which boast a rich aroma. Not only ”sake” but ”sake”-based fruit liqueur is also very popular.
- 743-1 Oaza Soshima, Oyama-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
Ishikawa Shuzo Ltd.,
- Ishikawa Shuzo was Created in 1863. Signature labels ”Tamajiman” and local beer ”Tama no Megumi” are made using rice polished to the maximum of 35%, and groundwater from Chichibutama as preparation water. There is a pair of 400 plus year old ”keyaki” (Zelkova) trees at the center of the property, and the ”sake” is made in a dirt cellar of more than 100 years.
- 1 Kumagawa, Fussa-shi, Tokyo
- URL http://tamajiman.com/
- Japanese style restaurant with a ”gassho zukuri” architecture located in a huge garden surrounded by the nature of Oku Takao. Placing emphasis on service that communicates the tradition and beauty of Japan, visitors can enjoy ”Kaiseki” style cuisine with seasonal colors, and locally grown charcoal grilled chicken.
- 3426 Minamiasakawamachi, Hachioji, Tokyo 193-0846
- URL https://www.ukai.co.jp/english/
Ozawa Shuzo Co.,Ltd.,
- Located in Okutama, it has continued to make ”sake” since the Edo period of Genroku. The area is famous for its water, and the signature label ”Sawanoi” is named after the location. The brewery continues to challenge new ideas while maintaining the traditional ”namamoto zukuri” technique using wooden barrels.
- 2-770 Sawai Oume-shi, Tokyo
- URL http://www.sawanoi-sake.com/en
Handmade Soba Kurumaya
- The restaurant uses a traditional house dating back 140 years in the style traditional to the Aizu Tadami area that has been relocated to its current location, and offers a calm and peaceful ambience. ”Soba” flour is ground fresh each day with a stone grinder so you can enjoy freshly ground, handmade ”soba”.
- 3-10 Koshino, Hachioji, Tokyo
- URL http://www.soba-kurumaya.co.jp/
Nozaki Shuzo Ltd.,
- Located at the foot of the Tokura Shiroyama mountain in Akiruno city, traditional methods are used to create artisanal ”sake” from clear subterranean river water from Shiroyama. The signature label ”Kisho” is an artisanal sake that is pasteurized after bottling, and slowly aged at a low temperature. It is mainly sold at local restaurants and liquor stores in Akiruno city.
- 63 Tokura, Akiruno, Tokyo
- URL http://www.kisho-sake.jp/
- Chichibu region has the optimal temperature difference between hot and cold weather, and ”Chichibunishiki” is produced by a master sake brewer ”Toji”, who is also recognized as ”Modern Master of Traditional Crafts”.
- 1432 Aza Kubonoiri, Bessho, Chichibu-shi, Saitama Prefecture
- URL http://chichibunishiki.com/
- 200 years of ”sake” making in the rural area of Saitama. Homemade yeast and delicate handwork produces the renowned sake ”Kikkou Hanabishi” popular for its balanced taste.
- 1006 Tomuro, Kazo-shi, Saitama Prefecture
Hot spring inn ”Wado”
- A Japanese style inn of Japanese copper mineral spring, which has been healing people in the mining mountains of Chichibu since ancient times.
- 822-1 Kuroya, Chichibu-shi, Saitama Prefecture
- URL http://www.wadoh.co.jp/en/
- Kenchoji is the main Zen temple of Rinzai, Kenchoji School. Its formal name is ”Kofukusan Kencho-Kokoku-zenji. With a garden reminiscent of the Kamakura era when the temple was first opened, ”Kenchoji Keidai” is a designated Historic Site and Place of Scenic Beauty.
- 8 Yamanouchi, Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.kenchoji.com/
The Great Buddha and Kotoku-in
- Hase-dera, or formally ”Taiizan Kotokuin Shojosenji”, is a Jodoshu Buddhist temple and is known for its ”Great Buddha”, a statue of Amida Buddha. It is said that construction of the Great Buddha began as early as 1252. The statue survived numerous disasters and changing times, and the temple grounds is a designated Historic Site, ”Kamakura Daibutsuden Site”
- 4-2-28 Hase, Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.kotoku-in.jp/en/
Izutsu Wine Co., Ltd.
- Won a gold medal at an international contest with wine made from local merlot grapes grown in Nagano. Produces high-quality wine certified by ”Nagano Appellation Control”.
- 1298-187 Soga Kikyogahara, Shiojiri-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.izutsuwine.co.jp/
Daiyuzan Saijoji of Soto Zen Buddhism
- Zen master Ryoanemyo founded this temple in 1394. The temple is known for the 4000 schools that belong to this sect, and its ”dojo” is believed to have miraculous powers. Legend has it that a monk named Douryou became a ”tengu” and hid in the mountain, and many visitors dedicate ”geta” to the the temple.
- 1157 Daihuuchou, Minamiashigara City, Kanagawa
- URL http://daiyuuzan.or.jp/english/
- Sugimoto-dera was built in 734 by the order of Empress Komei, the wife of Emperor Shomu, and an eleven-faced Kannon was enshrined in this temple. Dedicated to three statues of eleven-faced Kannon, it is the first check-in point (”fudasho”) for both ”Bando Sanjusankasho” and ”Kamakura Sanjusankasho”.
- 903 Nikaido, Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://sugimotodera.main.jp/
- Sankeien Garden was built by businessman and tea master Tomitaro Hara (Tea Master Title: Sankei). He transferred structure of historical value to the garden. Covering 175,000㎡ with various flowers blooming season to season, the garden contains 17 structures, one of which is designated Important Cultural Property.
- 58-1 Honmoku Sannotani, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL https://www.sankeien.or.jp/en-about/index.html
- A shrine believed to enshrine Kuzuryu Ookami as the guardian god by priest Suumamori Ono Nakamura who founded this area. Every year in September during the big festival, Intangible Cultural Properties such as ”Daikagura”, ”Three Lions” and ”Bakamen Bayashi” are dedicated. Near the shrine. there is a ”Waterfall of Kuzuryu” which is used for purification rituals throughout the year.
- 2478 Hinohara-mura, Nishitama, Tokyo
- URL http://www.tokyokuzuryujinja.net/
Tokyo Skytree Town
- The old town feel of Tokyo remains in Sumida-ku, where Tokyo Skytree opened by Sumida River on May 22, 2012. The tower is an independent style radio tower measuring 534m high. From the observation deck on top of the tower, you can see the entire Kanto plateau when the sky is clear. At the foot of the tower, there are restaurants and a shopping area called Soramachi, and is very popular tourist attraction.
- 1-1-2 Oshiage, Sumida, Tokyo
- URL http://www.tokyo-skytreetown.jp/english/
Tomono Shuzo Company
- Produces premium ”sake”, ”Sawa-no-hana” fostered by the natural surroundings of Shinshu-saku area.
- 123 Nozawa, Saku-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.sawanohana.com/
Seni Onsen Kasenan Iwa No Yu
- ”Onsen” inn with comforting ambience offering various types of baths such as the grand bath situated in a cave.
- 3159 Oaza Nirei, Suzaka-shi, Nagano Prefecture
Auberge de Shezmari
- Relish the surroundings of Central Tateshina Highlands. A Japanese style inn which hosts only four groups a day.
- Karamatsudaira, Central Tateshina Highlands, Chino-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.shezmari.com/
- An elegant Japanese style inn combining a traditional storehouse and wooden house structure with modern interior.
- 815 Obuse-machi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.kyakuden.jp/english/index.html
Tobira Onsen Myojinkan
- A relaxing Japanese style inn situated in Yatsugatake-Chushin Kogen Quasi National Park
- 8967 Iriyamabe, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/japan/myojinkan-nagano-matsumoto-shi
- 100% natural hot spring without any filtration or additives and luxurious hospitality of seasonal Japanese cuisine.
- 3055 Oaza Togura-onsen, Chikuma-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.shigenoya.co.jp/
- A Japanese style inn where you can experience indigo dyeing workshop and immerse yourself in the joy of Shinshu gourmet.
- Yokoyakyo, Tateshina-kogen, Chino-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.tateshina-ai.co.jp/en/
- Well-renowned sake made from the combination of rice, water and people, ”Sakunohana” is deeply rooted in Shinshu.
- 620 Shimogoe, Saku-shi, Nagano Prefecture
Villa d’Est Gardenfarm and Winery
- A winery opened by essayist and artist Toyoo Tamamura. Guests enjoy great food, wine, and views of the vineyard from the adjacent café.
- 6027 Kanou, Tomi-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.villadest.com/
- 100% of the grapes for the wine are produced on the company vineyard. The flavor is a good pairing with Japanese cuisine, and quality control is strictly managed. Nakata was pleasantly surprised with the high quality of the grape juice produced at this winery.
- 571 Oaza Oshiha, Obuse-machi, Kamitakai-gun, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://obusewinery.com/
- Hakone Jinja was founded as a place of mountain worship long ago. It is dedicated to ”Hakone Okami”, the gods of the mountains. There also is Kuzuryu Jinja which enshrines ”Kuzuryu Okami”, the guardian god of Ashinoko Lake. With the addition of a newly constructed shrine, Hakone Jinja has become a popular tourist site.
- 80-1 Motohakone, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://hakonejinja.or.jp/
Echigo Yuzawa HATAGO Isen
- Using local ingredients procured from Niigata and Uonuma area, Hatago Isen provides delicious food with an element of surprise. Guestrooms are designed to cater to the different needs of each guest, whether staying in the room to read, recuperating in the onsen, or relaxing and taking a nap.
- Yuzawa 2455, Yuzawa-machi, Minamiuonuma-gun, Niigata-ken
- URL http://hatago-isen.jp/OLD/en/index.html
Lalique Museum, Hakone
- The museum houses 1500 pieces created by René Lalique, a French artist of jewelry and glass craftwork. 230 items of jewelry, glass craftwork, and decorative pieces produced throughout his life are on permanent display.
- 186-1 Sengokuhara, Hakonemachi, Ashigara Shimo-gun, Kanagawa
- URL http://www.lalique-museum.com/common/about/english.html
AOKISHUZO The Sake Brewery Co., Ltd.
- Established in 1717, Aokishuzo has been brewing sake in the snowy area of Shiozawa, Uonuma region for 300 years. Master brewer Echigo pours his artisanship into the trademark labels ”Kakurei” and ”Bokushi”. The combination of nature and master craftsmanship create the clear rich taste of their ”sake”.
- 1214 Shiozawa, Minamiuonuma City, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.kakurei.co.jp/english/
Asahi-Shuzo Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
- Using ”takaramizu”, water from the spring of nearby Asahi Shrine, Asahi-shuzo produces flagship brand ”Kubota”. They value the harmony between nature and local environment, and also actively cultivate new talent.
- 880-1 Asahi, Nagaoka-shi, Niigata
- URL https://www.asahi-shuzo.co.jp/en/
Ongaku to Togei no Yado Hananoki
- The main structure is a renovated 150 year-old house which was transferred to this country hill, rich with nature. A Japanese style inn where you can enjoy the four seasons with just a short walk from the beaches of Ogi.
- 78-1 Shukunegi, Sado-shi, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.sado-hananoki.com/
Hokusetsu SHUZOU co., Ltd.
- The brewery was established in the 5th year of Meiji Era and takes advantage of the rich Sado environment to the fullest. For instance, the locally grown Yamada-Nishiki, the best rice for ”sake”, is polished to 35% then fermented slowly at a low temperature to create ”Daiginjo YK35”.
- 2377-2 Tokuwa, Sado-shi, Niigata
- URL http://www.sake-hokusetsu.com
- Uonuma-shi has some of the heaviest snowfall in Japan. Clear fragrant ”sake” ”Midorikawa” is made with soft underground water pumped up from 50m and uses a strictly controlled, low temperature brewing method.
- 4015-1 Aoshima, Uonuma-shi, Niigata Prefecture
Shaga no Sato Yumeya
- A Japanese style inn nestled at the foot of Mount Matsudake in Niigata, guestrooms are built in the ”sukiya-zukuri” style, a style that is harmonious with nature. Located in Iwamuro Onsen, the ”onsen” source is privately owned since April 2012.
- 905-1 Iwamuro Onsen, Nishikan-ku, Niigata-shi, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.i-yumeya.com/english.html
- Minokawa continues to bring out the ”umami” or deep flavor of the ingredients in their ”sake” brewing, such as ”Koshi-no-Omachi” made with Omachi rice and ”Arasawadake” matured by snow storage in ”yukimuro”.
- 13-31 Miyahara 2-chome, Nagaoka-shi, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.minogawa.com/
Shiki no Sato Kikuya
- A Japanese style inn with six cottages and three rooms in the annex overlooking ”Arakawa” stream which flows through Takanosu Onsen. The inn serves seasonal cuisine using local produce.
- 1076-1 Takanosu, Sekikawa-mura, Iwafune-gun, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.takanosu.jp/
Iwanohara Vineyard Co., Ltd.
- This vineyard in Niigata was started 120 years ago. Through selective grape breeding, they continue to produce fragrant wine well suited for the Japanese palate. Snow storage, a method often used in Niigata, is used for maturing their wine.
- 1223 Kitakata, Joetsu City, Niigata
- URL http://www.iwanohara.sgn.ne.jp/en/
Kirinzan Onsen Ekaki no Yado Fukusen
- Situated along the pure clear waters of Agano River, you can enjoy a relaxing moment in an atmosphere reminiscent of authentic Japanese scenery.
- 5886 Kanose, Aga-machi, Higashikanbara-gun, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.ryokan-fukusen.co.jp/
Hakone Glass no Mori Venetian Glass Museum
- A museum displaying a wide variety of Venetian glass. The museum consists of ”Venetian Glass Museum” which exhibits Venetian glass pieces from 15th to 19th century, and ”Glass Museum” which displays glass artwork created by contemporary artists.
- 940-48 Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.hakone-garasunomori.jp/entrance/english/
Pola Museum of Art
- The museum retains and exhibits western paintings, contemporary Japanese style paintings, oriental ceramics, and make-up tools collected over 40 years by Tsuneshi Suzuki, the former owner of Pola Orbis Group.
- 1285 Kozukayama, Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa
- URL http://www.polamuseum.or.jp/english/
- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu was initially built on Yuigahama Beach to worship Iwashimizu Hachimangu of Kyoto. It eventually became a spiritual foundation for the samurai class during the Kamakura era. There are numerous Shinto rituals still held at this shrine such as ”Yabusame” and ”Buraku”.
- 2-1-31 Yukinoshita, Kamakura, Kanagawa
- This temple was created in 1386 for the Chisan sect of Shingon Buddhism. ”Bishamondo” was built as a prayer house for Emperor Kanmu, and has a history of about 1000 years. The temple is filled with colorful flowers and is famous for its unique ”omikuji”.
- 1085, Iida, Naka-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.ichijyouin.e-naka.jp/
Marushin Shokuhin Ltd.
- ”Natto” is made with the utmost care using the highest quality small grain soybean cultivated in Okukuji, Ibaraki. Some of the most popular products are ”funa natto” which is packed in a wooden box shaped like a boat, and ”kuro natto” using black soybeans from Hokkaido.
- 477-1 Yamagata, Hitachiomiya-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.funanatto.co.jp/
- The garden was created in 1842 by Yoshiaki Tokugawa: 9th lord of the Mito Clan. The garden was created on a hilly landscape overlooking the Lake Senba. The garden has over 3000 plum trees in 100 varieties, and the flowers attract many tourists during the spring, but the beauty of the garden can be enjoyed throughout the season.
- 1-3-3 Tokiwacho, Mito-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.koen.pref.ibaraki.jp/foreign_language/en/index.html
Kasama Museum of Art, Annex Shunpu Banriso
- Located in the art village where artists from Kasama gather, Shunpu Banriso was originally the main house for the atelier used by Rosanjin Kitaoji. The thatched roof structure has now been relocated and is open to the public. Rosanjin Kitaoji was a genius with many talents, and left a huge impact in the art world. You can sense his style and taste through his handmade furniture and other memorabilia that are on display.
- Art Village, Shimoichige, Kasama-shi, Ibaraki Prefecture
- URL http://www.nichido-museum.or.jp/shunpu/
- Nested in 2.5 acres of natural forest, a Japanese style inn in Kusatsu Onsen where you can thoroughly enjoy ”kaiseki-ryori” and ”onsen” drawn directly from natural hot spring.
- 639-1 Kusatsu-machi, Agatsuma-gun, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.tsutsujitei.co.jp/
- A Japanese style inn where you can watch the stars above Tanigawa-dake and immerse yourself in the outdoor baths.
- 614 Tanigawa, Minakamimachi, Tone-gun, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://senjyuan.jp/
Okuikaho Ryotei Kaichoro
- Famous Japanese style inn in Ikaho where all guest rooms are equipped with half outdoor baths that draws ”onsen” from natural hot spring ”Hakugin-no-Yu”.
- 5-4 Ikaho-koto, Ikaho-machi, Shibukawa City, Gunma
- URL http://kaichoro.jp/
- ”Daiginjo” made from natural spring water of Okujoshu, Yamada-nishiki rice from Hyogo and the extreme winter cold of the area.
- 30-8 Oaza Naganohara, Naganohara-machi, Agatsuma-gun, Gunma Prefecture
- URL https://asama-sakagura.co.jp/english/
Nagai Sake Inc.
- Bubbly ”sake” named ”MIZUBASHO PURE” is fermented for a second time in the bottle, like champagne.
- 713 Monzen, Kawaba, Tone-gun, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.mizubasho.jp/en/
- ”Joshuichi-Katsuragawa” is a sweet type of ”sake” made by ”Mochigome-densho-jikomi” method, creating ”sake” that has great affinity with Joshu people’s palate.
- 104-2, Fukazu, Kasukawa-machi, Maebashi-shi, Gunma Prefecture.
- URL http://www.katsuragawa-sake.co.jp/
- ”Sake” is made from locally grown ”Wakamizu” rice and spring water from the Akagi Mountain Range. It is brewed in the traditional ”Kimoto type yamahai” method.
- 375-5 Yura-cho, Ota-shi, Gunma Prefecture
Ryujin Shuzo Co., Ltd.
- Well known sake for its clear taste, ”Oze-no-Yukidoke” is made with water from Ryujin’s Well.
- 7-13 Nishihon-cho, Tatebayashi-shi, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.ryujin.jp/
- Enjoy the ”onsen” fed by ”Hashiriyu”, one of the three oldest hot springs in Japan.
- 750-6 Izusan, Atami-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.izusan-horai.com/
- Enjoy a moment of healing with the pleasant harmony of Japanese style interior and surrounding nature.
- 1086-88 Yawatano, Itoh-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.murin.jp/
Mizuno Rikyu Fugaku Gunjo
- Great view of magnificent Mt.Fuji, floating on the Sagami Bay.
- 2461-1 Yagisawa, Izu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.fugakugunjo.jp/en/
- Four guest rooms to fully experience the beauty of Suruga Bay
- 8-33 Kasuga-cho, Atami-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.atamikaihourou.jp/
- Enjoy the blissful cuisine made with local ingredients from Shizuoka.
- 1662 Yugashima, Izu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.arcanaresorts.com/en/
Izu Shuzenji Onsen Yagyu-no-Sho
- Japanese style inn of Japanese architecture and sophisticated hospitality in the mountainside of Shuzenji.
- 1116-6 Shuzenji, Izu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL https://www.yagyu-no-sho.com/en/index.html
Kanzawagawa Shuzojou Co., Ltd.
- Signature label ”Masayuki” is created using water from the upper stream of River Kanzawa, a ”sake” with rich aroma.
- 181 Yui, Shimizu-ku, Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
Isojiman Premium-Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
- Produces ”Isojiman” that was used for the toast at the Lake Toya-ko Summit.
- 307 Iwashi-ga-shima, Yaizu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.isojiman-sake.jp/en/
Aojiima Shuzou Kabushikigaisha
- Signature label ”Kikuyoi”, produced from the water from Oigawa River and polished rice.
- 246 Kamiaojima, Fujieda-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
Sugii Shuzou Kabushikigaisha
- Produces high quality ”sake” using ”yanahai”and ”kimoto” fermentation method.
- 4-6-4 Koishigawa-cho, Fujieda-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://suginishiki.com/
Hatsukame Shuzou Kabushikigaisha
- Produces ”sake” using subterranean water from South Japan Alps
- 744 Okabe, Okabe-cho, Fujieda-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
Awa Onsen hide-away inn ”Kinokuniya Bettei”
- Designed to offer a space to relax and refresh. Enjoy exquisite seafood to your heart’s content.
- 970-6 Ryushima, Kyonan-machi, Awa-gun, Chiba Prefecture
- URL https://awa-kinokuniya.com/bettei/english/
Kamogawa Onsen ”Kamogawakan La Shoro”
- Each villa has 396 square meters of private space, a very elegant hideaway for grownups.
- 1179 Nishi-cho, Kamogawa City, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.japan-ryokan.net/la-shoro/en/
Minamiboso Tateyama Kagamigaura ”ROKUZA”
- Spend a serene moment on the coast of Nago, the north end of Tateyama Bay. Enjoy delicacies straight from the fishing port.
- 1672-88 Nago, Tateyama-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.rokuza.com/
Minamiboso Kamogawa ”Shunsaino Yado Ryokosuitei”
- Immerse yourself in the Japanese style hospitality and the healing power of Kominato Onsen.
- 1385 Uchiura, Kamogawa-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://ryokusuitei.jp/
Spa & Resort Inubosaki Hotel Bettei Umi To Mori <Taiyo No Sato Group>
- Located on the plateau of Choshi Inubosaki, the easternmost point of the Kanto area, this hotel was originally an Imperial Villa loved by Prince Fushinomiya Sadanaru.
- 10292-1, Inubosaki, Choshi-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://ryokan-umitomori.com/
Tokun Sake Brewery Company Co., Ltd.
- Located by the Tone River, the brewery has passed on ”sake” production from generation to generation, and produces the signature label of Sawara, ”Daiginjyo Kano”.
- 627 Sawarai, Katori-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.tokun.co.jp/
Iwase Syuzo Corporation
- ”Iwanoi” is produced using the ”yamahai” fermentation method. Also active in the production of matured ”sake”.
- 1916 Kubo, Onjuku-machi, Isumi-gun, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://iwanoi.com/
- Pursuing ”sake” production without the use of additives and extended maturation, the brewery produces ”sake” with strong ”umami” taste using a unique fermentation method called ”high temperature yamahai moto jikomi”.
- 7635-1 Ohara, Isumi-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://kidoizumi.jpn.com/
- An ancient ”sake” brewery established in the late Edo-period, produces ”Daiginjou Kinryu Inahana” which is a local favorite.
- 5841, Torami, Ichinomiya-machi, Chosei-gun, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.inahana-syuzou.com/
- Treasuring the bounties of fermentation, uses only chemical free rice and pursues natural ways of brewing ”sake”.
- 1964 Kanzakihonjuku, Kanzaki-cho, Katori-gun, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.teradahonke.co.jp/
Rice wine of Yamanashi ”YorozuYa JouzouTen ShunNouTen”
- Uses hard water that flows from the South Japan Alps. The signature label ”ShunNouTen” was named after the poem by the famous poet Akiko Yosano, who described this place in her poem.
- 1201-1 Aoyagi-cho, Fujikawa-cho, Minamikoma-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.shunnoten.co.jp/
Using the blessings of nature ”Tanizakura Shuzo”
- ”Tanizakura”which uses subterranean water of Yatsugatake mountains is famous. A brewery with a history of more than 160 years.
- 2037 Yato, Oizumi-cho, Hokuto-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.tanizakura.co.jp/
Minna no Ie (A Home for Everyone)
- Takatacho, Rikuzentakata, Iwate
Shoji Hamada Memorial Mashiko Sankokan Museum
- Works of the late Shoji Hamada, a Living National Treasure who honed his pottery skills in Mashiko, his work space, and climbing kilns are open to the public. Also on display is a collection of valuable craftwork collected domestically and from abroad by the Hamada, as a reference for future generations.
- 3388 Oaza Mashiko, Mashiko-machi, Haga-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.mashiko-sankokan.net/
Nakagawa-machi Bato Hiroshige Museum of Art
- A museum with numerous paintings and works of calligraphy, including drawings and woodblock prints by Utagawa Hiroshige, and western style paintings by Kiyoo Kawamura. It was built to exhibit the collection donated by the late Tosaku Aoki, and for visitors to become more familiar with ”ukiyoe” and paintings.
- 116-9 Bato, Nakagawa-machi, Nasu-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.hiroshige.bato.tochigi.jp/english
Nikkosan Rinno-Ji Temple
- Originates from Shihonryu-ji Temple which was started by Shodo-shonin (Saint-Shodo) in the Nara period. In the Edo period, ”Taiyu-in” was built to enshrine Iemitsu Tokugawa, the third ”shogun”. The main hall and ”Sanbutsu-do” were first built in Heian-period. The present buildings were rebuilt in 1645, and is now undergoing ”the Great Heisei Repair” as the oldest wooden structure in east Japan. It is designated as a World Heritage, together with Toshogu Shrine and Nikko Futarasan Shrine.
- 2300 Sannai, Nikko-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.rinnoji.or.jp/
- Produces miso using only domestically cultivated, pesticide-free rice and soybeans, and natural sea salt, and utilizing the natural power of fermentation. Operates ”JOZO CAFE Setsugetsuka by HARUKOMAYA” in Nakagawa-machi Bato Hiroshige Museum of Art, where one can enjoy various fermented products.
- 515 Bato, Nakagawa-machi, Nasu-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.harukomaya.com/
Mashiko Museum of Ceramic Art / Ceramic Art Messe Mashiko
- Town of Mashiko is renowned as the town of ceramics. Visitors can learn the history of ”Mashiko-yaki”, enjoy pottery ware on display, and also experience ceramic making. The museum also collects and displays the pieces from local artists.
- 3021 Mashiko, Mashiko-machi Haga-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.mashiko-museum.jp/en/index.html
Shinrinno Bokujo Farm/ Shinrinno Bokujo Cafe
- A dairy farm where cattle graze freely in the lush forests. Since the spring of 2011, grazing has been temporarily suspended following the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant accident, but milk from other cooperative dairy farms and various dairy products are sold at the Shinrinno Bokujo Cafe, or on the internet.
- 627-114 Oaza Toyoharaotsu, Nasu-machi, Nasu-gun, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.shinrinno.jp/
- Enshrines Ieyasu Tokugawa as ”Toshodaigongen” to wish peace throughout Japan. In the era of Iemitsu Tokugawa, the third ”Shogun”, it went through ”the Great Kan-ei Reconstruction”, and the magnificent shrines and pavilions were built as we see them today. It is designated as a World Heritage as a part of ”Temples and Shrines of Nikko”.
- 2301 Sannai, Nikko-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.toshogu.jp/
National Historic Site Ashikaga Gakko
- The oldest school in Japan which is said to have continued from the Muromachi-period until the early Meiji era. It is now open to the public as a cultural facility, and tells the history of learning through its expansive collection of books and historical materials.
- 2338 Shohei-cho, Ashikaga City, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.city.ashikaga.tochigi.jp/site/ashikagagakko/
Nikko Futarasan Shrine
- A shrine closely associated with the nature of Nikko. Enshrines the gods of Mount Nantai (Mount Futara), Mount Nyoho and Mount Taro. It consists of the main shrine ’”Gohonsha”, ”Chugoshi” shrine by Lake Chuzenji, and ”Okumiya”shrine on the summit of Mount Nantai.
- 2307 Sannai, Nikko-shi, Tochigi Prefecture
- URL http://www.futarasan.jp/
Asami Reizou Kanezaki Honten
- Shaved ice made from mountain stream water frozen very slowly in an open air ice making pond. Containing a lot of minerals, the ice tastes sweet.
- 27-1 Oaza Kanazaki, Minano-machi, Chichibu-gun, Saitama Prefecture
- URL http://asamireizou.blog.jp/
Nihon Nouen Tadaaki Hachisu & Nancy
- Tadaaki Hachisu produces eggs from chicken fed on NON.・GMO postharvest free grains. His wife, Nancy, teaches the importance of eating at the kindergarten ”Sunnyside Up”.
- Kamikawa-machi, Kodama-gun, Saitama Prefecture
Musashi Ichinomiya Hikawa Jinja Shrine
- The headquarter of about 280 Hikawa Jinja Shrines all over the country of ”Musashinokuni”. It was hailed as ”Oinaru Miyai” (a great shrine), the origin of the name of the city ”Omiya”.
- 1-407 Takahana-cho, Omiya-ku,Saitama-shi, Saitama Prefecture
Unagi-ya Shubou・Gasou Echigoya
- Enjoy the domestic ”unagi”eels from head to bone! Eels processed in-store and creative cooking attract many repeat customers.
- 4-21-22 Kotesashi-cho, Tokorozawa-shi, Saitama Prefecture
- URL https://www.echigoya-jp.com/
Senba Toshogu Shrine
- Toshogu Shrine enshrines Ieyasu Tokugawa. Richly colored pavilion still remains today.
- 1-21-1 Kosenba-machi, Kawagoe-shi, Saitama Prefecture
”Akira-yuzen” Akira Takizawa
- Striving to produce kimono that is passed down for generations, Takizawa depicts all things in universe, creating work that embodies the new allure of kimono.
- 1-12 Nishi 1-chome, Tsumaari-cho, Tokamachi-shi, Niigata Prefecture
- URL http://www.akira-yuzen.com/
- ”Yahiko Jinja” is the Ichinomiya Shrine of Echigo area, which rests at the foot of Mount Yahiko. It has been worshipped and called ”Oyahiko-sama” since ancient times by the locals. Its enshrined god Ameno-kagoyama-mikoto is said to have taught people how to fish, produce salt, farm, and brew sake.
- 2887-2 Oaza Yahiko, Yahiko-mura, Nishikambara-gun, Niigata Prefecture
Rice farmer, Kiyoshi Suzuki
- ”The more you chew, the better it tastes!” exclaimed Nakata. Suzuki produces Koshihikari brand rice in the beautiful environment of Minami Uonuma district.
- 233-1 Kabanozawa, Minamiuonuma-shi, Niigata Prefecture
Chiba Shoyu Co.,Ltd
- Produces soy sauce, seasoning and pickles, using the choicest ingredients from the flatlands of Hokusou. Dedicated to preserve the local flavors.
- 1208 Kinouchi, Katori-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.chibashoyu.com/
Daihonzan Naritasan Shinshoji Temple
- Also known as ”Narita Fudo”, the temple enshrines ”Fudo Myoo” as the main god and remains to attract a lot of followers. Belongs to the Shingon sect Chisan school of Buddhism.
- 1 Narita, Narita-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.naritasan.or.jp/
”Brown’s Field” – Eco village pursuing the way we live
- An eco village that pursues how we live with facilities such as a group home, cafe, guest house, and an event space.
- 1501-1 Kuwada, Misaki-cho, Isumi-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.brownsfield-jp.com/
Hyakusho Yashiki Jiroemu
- Enjoy grandma’s cooking in a 300 year old Japanese style house! Uses organic vegetables, organic rice, and fertile eggs.
- 2011 Yamana, Minamiboso-shi, Chiba Prefecture
Private Resort Shinra
- Spacious interior with oriental-modern design. Enjoy the ocean view of Minamiboso.
- 284-1 Shiomi, Tateyama-shi, Chiba Prefecture
- URL http://www.psr-shinra.com/language/eng/index.html
Fujisan Onsen Hotel Kaneyamaen
- Beautiful view of Mt.Fuji from the ”open air bath Fujisan”. Mt. Fuji is considered a sacred mountain, and it has a different face from season to season. There is also a large Japanese garden.
- 6283 Kamiyoshida, Fujiyoshida-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.kaneyamaen.com/eng/
Fuefuki-gawa Onsen Zabo
- Standing quietly by the Fuefuki River, enjoy the ”onsen” hot spring pouring directly from its source.
- 2512 Enzanmikkaichiba, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.fuefukigawaonsen.com/
Terrace of Winds KUKUNA
- Every room has a terrace that overlooks Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi.
- 70 Asakawa, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL https://kukuna.jp/language/
- Many fans from near and far come here to taste very spicy European style curry.
- 8240-3510 Nishiide, Oizumi-cho, Hokuto-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
Pork cutlet ”Riki”
- A renowned restaurant that has the original dish ”Koshu Motsuni” which is loved by many as a local speciality.
- Kairyudo Tsuchiya Building B1, 2-1-1 Marunouchi, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
Nakamura Keith Haring Collection
- A collection specializing in pieces by Keith Haring. You can experience the strong energy of the artwork.
- 10249-7 Kobuchizawa-machi, Hokuto-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.nakamura-haring.com/en/
Yamanashi Prefectural Museum of Art
- A collection of many works of Millet including ”The Sower”.
- 1-4-27 Kugawa, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.art-museum.pref.yamanashi.jp/english/
Guardian of Kai-country ”Takeda-jinja Shrine”
- A shrine founded on the grounds of ”Tsutsujigasaki no yakata”, where three generations of the Takeda warlord Family - Nobutora, Shingen, and Katsuyori - actually lived.
- 2611, Kofuchu-machi, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.takedajinja.or.jp/
Creative Japanese cuisine Taiho
- Arrangement of local cuisine such as ”shio-houtou”and ”Fuji Sakuramasu-zushi” are popular.
- 865-21 Yamanaka, Yamanakako-mura, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.taihou-fuji.com/
Shosenkyo ”Museum of Shadowgraph”
- The world’s first shadowgraph museum, featuring pieces by Seiji Fujishiro.
- 1035-2 Takanari-cho, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.kageenomori.jp/
Kawaguchi-ko Music Forest Museum
- Precious collection of mechanical instruments and music boxes including the world’s largest ”dance organ” .
- 3077-20 Kawaguchi-ko. Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://fuji.kawaguchikomusicforest.jp/
- Exquisite Italian cuisine made from Yamanashi brand pork and home grown ingredients.
- 3407-1 Funatsu, Fujikawaguchikomachi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
Ancient temple of Shingon sect ”Kashiosan Daizenji Temple”
- Enshrines the seated statue of ”Yakushi-Nyorai”(Buddha of medicine and healing) with a cluster of grapes in its hands. The temple has come to be called ”the birthplace of Koshu Grape”.
- 3559 Katsunuma, Katsunuma-cho, Koshu-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.katsunuma.ne.jp/~daizenji/
- Called ”the ocean of trees of Fuji”, it is said that once you step into it, you will never be able to come out. Designated as a National Natural Treasure, public access is available in certain areas.
- 4885 Kodachi, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Tsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL http://www.outback-e.com/
”Minobusan Kuonji Temple” the head temple of Nichiren Sect
- Nichiren Shonin (Saint Nishiren) spent his last years here, and the temple was built as his grave in accordance to his will. It still remains to be a center of faith for its followers.
- 3567 Minobu, Minobu-cho, Minamikoma-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- URL https://www.kuonji.jp/english/entop.htm
A summer tradition of Fuefuki River ”Isawa Ukai Kachiu”
- A traditional fishing method that remains in Isawa, which is also a famous ”onsen” area. This method, using cormorants and fisherman going into the Fuefuki River on foot, is said to have a history of 800 years.
- 777 Ishibe Isawa-cho, Fuefuki-shi, Yamanashi Prefecture
Natural eel fishing at Sanaruko Lake
- Natural eel of Hamamatsu
- 4702-18 Irinocho, Nishi-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://sanarumaru.seesaa.net/
Nihashi Senkoujou Co.,Ltd.
- ”Hamamatsu chusen zome”- elegantly dyed pattern that seems to float
- 138-14 Tokiwa-cho, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.nihashi-tinta.co.jp/
Fukuchizan ”Shuzenji Temple”
- An ancient temple of Izu, also described in the Kabuki play ”Shuzenji Monogatari”(The Tale of Shuzenji)
- 964 Shuzenji, Izu-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://shuzenji-temple.com/english.html
IZU PHOTO MUSEUM
- Works of art that capture that scenes of Mt.Fuji
- 347-1 Clematis no Oka, Higashino, Nagaizumi-cho, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.izuphoto-museum.jp/
- The shrine has 1400 years of history that passes down the twelve ritual dances of ”juni dan buraku”
- 3956-1 Ichimiya, Mori-machi, Shuchi-gun, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.okunijinja.or.jp/
MOA Museum of Art
- Museum that also focuses on the preservation of traditional craftworks.
- 26-2 Momoyama-cho, Atami-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.moaart.or.jp/en/
Rock Field Co., Ltd.
- Shizuoka factory, connecting ”food” and ”environment”
- 2280 Shimonobe, Iwata-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.rockfield.co.jp/eng/
Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha
- Enshrines Asama-no-Ohkami, who is said to have pacified the mountain gods of Mt. Fuji.
- 1-1 Miya-cho, Fujinomiya-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://fuji-hongu.or.jp/sengen/english/index.html
Kunozan Toshogu Shrine
- A National Treasure that enshrines the First Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa
- 390 Negoya, Suruga-ku, Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL https://www.toshogu.or.jp/english/
Shizuoka Sashimono Kagu Kichizo
- Furnitures that connects wood and living.
- 2-31 Sumiyoshi-cho, Aoi-ku, Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- URL http://www.kichizo.co.jp/
Gateau Festa Harada
- Makes Gateau Rusk ”Goûter de Roi”, a confection popular nationwide.
- 1207 Shin-machi, Takasaki-shi, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.gateaufesta-harada.com/
- Many visitors come to purchase”Daruma dolls” to the ”Daruma Market” every year. The temple continues to convey the teachings of Bodhidharma.
- 296 Hanadaka-machi, Takasaki-shi, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.daruma.or.jp/
Oigami Onsen Morning Market
- Morning market - a fun activity for visitors at Oigami Onsen. Open every morning from 6:00 to 7:30 am, from April 20 to November 20.
Minakami Onsen Keisetsu-no-Yado Syoubun
- Seven relaxing guestrooms. Enjoy Minakimi’s natural surroundings and savor nature’s gifts from Tone River.
- 277 Tsunago, Minakami-cho, Tone-gun, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://syoubun.com/
Ichinomiya Nukisaki Jinja
- A Shinto shrine built 1400 years ago known for its unique layout where the main shrine is located down the stairs from the entrance.
- 1535 Ichinomiya, Tomioka-shi, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://nukisaki.kazelog.jp/
- Out of the 600 ”Toshogu” shrines all over the country, Serada Toshogu has the oldest connection to the Tokugawa clan.
- 3119-1 Serada-cho, Ota-shi, Gunma Prefecture
- URL http://www.net-you.com/toshogu/
- Nakata had high praise for the apple ’miso’ and ’miso-senbei’ at this brewery.
- 789-2 Iwamurada, Saku-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.izumikura.com/
- Well-known Togakushi-soba shop that carries on the tradition of Japanese cuisine in the Togakushi district.
- 3356 Chusha, Nagano-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~uzuraya/
Rice farmers, Yoichiro and Kaori Ito
- ”A farmer’s daily visit to the paddy is the best fertilizer for the rice.” says Yoichiro Ito who practices ”Aigamo-noho” with loving care.
- 2254 Niiyama-nishishita, Tomigata, Ina City Nagano Prefecture
Kitaya Miso Co.
- ”Yukimusume-miso” - homemade ”miso” without additives is the roots of home cooking in Shinshu.
- 2-3-3 Tenryu-cho, Okaya-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.kitayamiso.com/
- A place to enjoy the simple life! Savor the excellent curry full of natural ingredients.
- 9068 Miasa, Omachi-shi, Nagano Prefecture
Yo-roppaken Main Branch
- The pride of Fukui citizens. Original Sauce Katsu-don
- 1-7-4 Junka, Fukui 910-0023
- URL http://yo-roppaken.gourmet.coocan.jp/
- Reminiscent of ”shugendo”, the shrine honors the gods of water and good harvest.
- Togakushi, Nagano-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.togakushi-jinja.jp/
Le sans a plus
- A french restaurant in a rural area where you can enjoy the bounties of nature. *Reservations and referrals only. Thank you for your understanding.
- Saku City, Nagano Prefecture
Imokawa Koji Limited
- ”Miso” from Kitashinano in Shinshu, made by ”Artisan of Shinshu-miso.” It is moist, with a robust aroma and smooth flavor.
- 215 Oaza Ushiide, Nakano-shi, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.kitashinanomiso.com/
Farmer Kazuo Suzuki
- Rice nurtured by the blessings of Chikuma River draws attention from gourmets around the nation.
- 3599 Tokiwa, Iyama-shi, Nagano Prefecture
En Boca Karuizawa
- Popular restaurant in a forest where you can enjoy delicious smoked foods and pizza.
- 1277-1 Karuizawa, Karuizawa-machi, Kitasaku-gun, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://www.enboca.jp/karuizawa/karuizawa_2.html
- Homemade ”soba” made from only homegrown ”soba” grains or ”soba” from contracted farms.
- 872-9 Nakamatsu, Obuse-cho, Kamitakai-gun, Nagano Prefecture
- URL http://soba-sekizawa.com/
- Delicious ”tonkatsu” carefully prepared in a restaurant with a comfortable atmosphere. * We do not take reservations or inquiries by phone. * Please note that we close for business as soon as we are sold out.
- Erupatio Takinomizu 1F, 1-809 Takinomizu, Midori-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi Prefecture
Farmer Hisao Mitake
- Following his goal of growing ”vegetables that taste like fruit,” his motto is to ship only produce ”that are of 100% quality.”
- Tahara-shi, Aichi Prefecture
Misokatsu Yabaton Yaba-cho Honten
- Specialty dish with an exquisite balance between ”tonkatsu” and ”miso” sauce.
- 3-6-18 Osu, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi Prefecture
- The final location the Tokugawa lord escaped to during ”The Battle of Okehazama”. The resting place for the Tokugawa and Matsudaira families
- 5-1 Aza Hiromoto, Kamoda-cho, Okazaki City, Aichi
Yamamotoya Honten Nagoya Interchange South Shop
- Nagoya’s piping hot specialty dish. ”Miso-nikomi-udon noodle” specialty shop
- 3-6 Gokuraku, Meito-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi Prefecture
- URL http://www.yamamotoyahonten.co.jp/
- Savor Nagoya’s specialty dish ”hitsumabushi”, using only the very best blue eel.
- Presanto Shirogane 1F, 1-1-4 Shirogane, Showa-ku, Nagoya-shi
Suzuki Farm, Ito Seedling Store
- Koichi Suzuki produces and sells vegetables and seedlings, and is an agricultural expert who grows more than 200 varieties of vegetables every year. In addition to overseeing the branding of ”Koriyama brand vegetables”, he is involved in encouraging farmers to use ”methods of vegetable farming most preferred by consumers” through seminars and training.
- 18 Kitadera, Otsukimachi, Kooriyama, Fukushima
- URL http://suzukiitou.main.jp/
Kokken Brewery Co.,Ltd.
- Signature labels ”Kokken” and ”Tefu”are made using quality water from the snowy Aizu region. Committed to honest ”sake” production, they make ”sake”with a rich aroma and deep flavor. Brewmaster Yoshihiro Sato and his young apprentices continue to challenge themselves to expanding the world of sake brewing.
- 4037 Kamimachiko, Tajima, Minamiaizumachi, Minamiaizu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.kokken.co.jp/
- Toryukan is located on 3,300 square meters which opens up to the clear waters of Okawa River. All twelve rooms have indoor baths with hot water pulled directly from the hot spring source. Enjoy the natural beauty of the four seasons as you look down at the mountain stream from the open air bath.
- 1338 Tatemoto, Yunokami, Shimogomachi, Minamiaizu, Fukushima
- URL http://touryukan.com
- Chez Yamanobe is a single house restaurant nestled near Yunokami Onsen in the Oku Aizu Mountains. Enjoy French cuisine featuring carefully selected ingredients, in a peaceful setting where you can experience the slow transitions of nature.
- 1316 Otsu, Tatemoto, Yunokami, Shimogomachi, Minami Aizu, Fukushima
Museum of Modern Ceramic Art, Gifu
- The museum houses numerous ceramic art and practical ceramic tableware, with emphasis on modern age pieces from 19th century onwards.
- 4-2-5, Higashi-machi, Tajimi-city, Gifu (located in Ceramic Park MINO)
- URL http://www.cpm-gifu.jp/wp/?page_id=389
- ”Melonpan” - Only ten buns baked a day. High praise from Nakata!
- 1-12 Ichinomachi, Furukawa-cho, Hida-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- A restaurant where you can savor freshwater eel, a special dish prepared by a skilled chef
- 1-3-29 Sanno-dori, Seki-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- French restaurant that uses local produce of Gifu.
- 5-1 Yahachi-cho, Gifu-shi, Gifu Prefecture
Yoro Park, Site of Reversible Destiny
- An experiential facility within Yoro Park. You can challenge your perception and common sense at this facility designed by modern artist Shusaku Arakawa and poet Madeline Gins.
- 1298-2 Takabayashi, Yoro-cho, Yoro-gun, Gifu Prefecture (located in Yoro Park)
- URL http://www.yoro-park.com/
- Dairy cows are grown in Okuhida’s rich environment. They produce and sell flavorful milk and dairy products.
- 17-8 Masushima-cho, Furukawa-cho, Hida-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://www.bokuseisya.com/
Kusakabe Miso Co., Ltd.
- Miso and soy sauce produced using traditional methods in the Hida-Takayama climate.
- 90 Kamiichinomachi, Takayama-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL http://www.kusakabe-miso.co.jp/
”Gifu Great Buddha (Daibutsu) at Shohoji”
- Gifu Great Buddha is also known as ”basket Buddha”, the largest dry lacquered Buddha made from bamboo, ”washi-paper” and lacquer.
- 8 Daibutsu-cho, Gifu-shi, Gifu Prefecture
Village of ”Gassho-zukuri” houses of Shirakawago
- ”Village of Gassho-zukuri Houses of Shirakawago and Gokayama” is designated a World Heritage by UNESCO. Some of these ”Gassho-zukuri” houses are open for tours and others used as Japanese style inns.
- Ogi-machi, Shirakawa-mura, Ono District, Gifu
- URL http://www.shirakawa-go.gr.jp/top/
Hida Beef Curry House
- Savor the tender Hida beef with curry.
- 1-21 Honmachi, Takayama-shi, Gifu Prefecture
- URL https://www.tengu.jp/curry.html
Urushi artisan Koichi Nakano
- Gold art that revives Urushi lacquerware. Japan’s leading lacquer artist.
- The birthplace of hot springs in the Yamashiro Onsen area with a history of over 800 years
- 922-0242 Yunogawa, Yamashiroonsen, Kaga, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.araya-totoan.com/
- Artisan’s touch creates delicious masterpieces from the abundant seafood of Hokuriku
- 920-0988 4-10 Kiguramachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
Oyama Shrine (Kaganokuni Kanazawa)
- Elegant gates adorn the entryway to the shrine dedicated to Toshiie Maeda and his legal wife Matsu, and has become a symbol of Kanazawa
- 920-0918 11-1 Oyama-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.oyama-jinja.or.jp/
Yamanaka Onsen Hanamurasaki
- Guest rooms overlooking Kakusenkei Valley allows you to enjoy the colors of the four seasons
- 922-0114 1-chome Ho-17-1 Yamanakaonsen Higashimachi, Kaga, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.hana-mura.com/
- A Japanese style restaurant that offers the highest form of Japanese cuisine, befitting Kanazawa, the capital of delicious food
- 920-0864 6-５ Takaokamachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
- URL http://turukou.com
Matsuura Sake Brewery
- Creating ”Shishi no Sato (Village of Lion)” for 240 years in the Yamanaka Onsen area
- 〒922-0122 2-chome Yunohonmachi, Yamanakaonsen, Kaga, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.shishinosato.com/
- Famous for the beautiful sushi which is prepared with great care, piece by piece by the owner himself
- 921-8011 3-73 Irie, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
Cultural Property Specification Garden Special Scenic Spot Kenrokuen
- Three Japanese gardens which symbolize the culture of Kaga Hyakumangoku
- 1-4 Kenrokumachi, Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.pref.ishikawa.jp/siro-niwa/kenrokuen/
- Nestled amongst the blessings of nature, a Japanese style inn that offers sincere hospitality
- 922-0139 Ro-62, Yamanaka Onsen Sugatanimachi, Kaga-shi, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.yasohachi.com/
Kikuhime Co., Ltd.
- Creating ”Kaga no Kikuhime” with fresh water from the Hakusan mountains and Yamadanishiki rice crystals
- 8-banchi, Tsurugishinmachi, Hakusan-shi, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.kikuhime.co.jp/
- Continuing to create beautifully designed Japanese umbrellas
- 7-46 Sennichimachi Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa
- Creativity shines through in the techniques used to bring out the best flavors of fish
- 921-8845 1-164 Taheiji, Nonoichi, Ishikawa
- A festival to enjoy the culture of Kanazawa, a summer evening lit up by colorful lamps.
- 9-13 Oyama-Machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa (located in the Kanazawa Chamber of Commerce)
- URL http://touryoue.jp/
- Only 4 parties are treated to the popular Sunday breakfast ”Kanazawa Asage”
- 920-0901 1-9-69 Hikosomachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
Agehama Enden style salt production Yutaka Kakuhana
- Carrying on the traditions of a sale production method with more than 400 years of history
- Ishikawa Prefecture
Kazuma Shuzo Sake Brewery
- Chikuhais created using rice milled entirely on-site, and allowing the natural ingredients of Noto to mature
- 〒927-0433 He-36, Ushitsu, Noto, Hosu District, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.kazuma.co.jp/
SoGen Sake Brewery Co., Ltd.
- Protecting the techniques and traditions of the sake brew master in its point of origin
- 927-1225 24-22 Horyumachi Sogen, Suzu, Ishikawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.sougen-shuzou.com/
- Nakata raves about the ”manju” - ”Egara manju is very tasty!”
- 928-0001 1-90 Kawaimachi, Wajima, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.egara.128.ne.jp/
Wajima Morning Market
- 200 stall offer fresh seafood and vegetables, local craftwork
- Asaichi Dori, Kawaimachi, Wajima, Ishikawa
- Old Soto sect temple founded by Keizan Jokin
- 927-2156 1-18 Monzenmachi Monzen, Wajima, Ishikawa
- URL http://www.wannet.jp/noto-soin/
Unlimited Partnership Nakajima Shuzo
- Creating the famous ”Suehiro” and the naturally pink yeast derived ”Hana Oboro”
- 928-0073 Inarimachi-8 Fugeshimachi, Wajima, Ishikawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.noto-suehiro.co.jp/
- Creating the famous ”Okunoto no Shirakiku”, connecting people with sake brewing
- 928-0073 Kamimachi-24 Fugeshimachi, Wajima, Ishikawa Prefecture
- URL http://www.hakutousyuzou.jp/
Hotel Yagi (Awara)
- Hotel offering a Japanese garden that shows the brilliant colors of the seasons, and heartfelt Japanese style service.
- 4-418 Onsen, Awara-shi, Fukui
- URL http://www.hotel-yagi.co.jp/
- 5 lakes which span 2 cities (Mihama and Wakasa). Each lake has varying concentrations of salt with some being mostly sea water, others fresh water, and others brackish. As a result, each lake is a different variation of blue.
- Mihama-cho, Mikata-gun and Wakasa-cho, Mikatakaminaka-gun, Fukui
Kehi Jingu Shrine
- Dedicated to Izasawakenomikoto, the shrine is said to ensure water safety, bumper year for fishing and bountiful crops for the Hokuriku region.
- 11-68 Akebono-cho, Tsuruga City, Fukui
- URL http://kehijingu.jp/
Grandia Housen Bettei Kotobuki-tei
- A suite offering the most luxurious of traditional crafts from the Hokuriku region.
- 43-26 Funatsu, Awara, Fukui 910-4193
- URL http://www.rotenburo.biz/
- The Echizen-Kaga Kaigan Quasi-National Park that spans from Fukui to Ishikawa prefectures. Located in Sakai city in Fukui. The geology is a form of volcanic rock known as pyroxene andesite.
- Tojinbo, Mikuni-cho, Sakai-shi, Fukui
- A hotel in Mikuni Onsen where you can enjoy delicacies from the Sea of Japan as views of the skies and ocean stretch out before you.
- -3-38 Komegawaki, Mikuni-cho, Sakai, Fukui
- URL http://www.bouyourou.co.jp/