Artist, Mayuko Sakauchi
- Mayuko Sakauchi is an artist who uses natural materials such as ramie, ”washi”, lacquer and plants for her work. She graduated from the Art Department of Tohoku University of Art and Design in 2009, and completed her master’s at the same university in 2011. Major exhibitions include ”Seed of Time” at coexistgallery (Tokyo), KUAD+TUAD ”Emerging #1” Arts Chiyoda 3331 (Tokyo), and ”Arts Festival of Aizu-lacquer” (Fukushima Prefecture) in 2011, and ”Wa Exhibition” (Tokyo) in 2012.
- Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- Beauty of form is in full harmony with the beautiful colors of nature at this Japanese style inn. You can feel and taste the seasons with dishes which pursue both tradition and innovation. Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the adjacent gardens and glass museum on the property.
- 2-14 Hisui no sato, Iizaka Onsen, Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://www.hisuinosato.com/en/
Mount Bandaisan, Enichiji Temple, Golden Pavilion
- Enichiji Temple is the oldest known temple in the Tohoku region. The main building ”Kondo”(Golden Pavilion) was restored in 2008. Visitors can learn about the Buddhist culture rooted in the history of Aizu in the adjacent archives.
- 4614-5 Bandai Motodera Hachiman, Bandaimachi, Yamagun, Fukushima
Shirokiya Lacquerware Shop Co., Ltd.
- Shirokiya is a lacquerware shop with a history of about 300 years. Construction of the building was completed in 1914, and incorporates Renaissance style, adding dignity to the European style building. In addition to housing documents related to ”Aizu-nuri” in its archives, the shop sells 1000 pieces of lacquerware lined up on rows of modern glass shelves.
- 1-2-10 Oomachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL https://www.shirokiyashikkiten.com/english/index.html
Miyaizumimeijo Co., Ltd.
- Miyaizumimeijo Co., Ltd. makes trademark labels ”Miyaizumi” and ”Sharaku” in Toei-cho, the castle town of Aizu Castle. Using spring water and rice from Aizu, they continue to make ”sake” that is a local favorite. They strive to improve the quality of ”sake” each year.
- 8-7 Toei-cho, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.miyaizumi.co.jp
Yumegokoro Sake Brewing Co., Ltd.
- By using naturally rich underground water from Mount Ide, the brewery makes Fukushima brand yeast, ”Utsukushima Dream Yeast”. Flagship brands ”Naraman” and ”Yumegokoro”are made with the special yeast together with locally produced ”Gohyakumangoku rice”. They aim to create rich tasting sake which can only be made locally.
- 2932 Kitamachi, Kitakata, Fukushima
- URL http://www.yumegokoro.com/
Shosaku Takahashi Sake Brewery Store
- The trademark label ”Aizu Musume” is created using the ”dosan doho” method in the depths of the Aizu snow. In their pursuit to create better ” sake”, pesticide and chemical free, home grown rice is used by the Aizu brew master to create rich, flavorful ”sake”.
- 755 Higashi, Ichinoseki, Mondenmachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://aizumusume.a.la9.jp/
- Japan’s first Western-style ranch. Cleared for cultivation by the order of the Meiji Emperor, it was operated as a ranch for the Imperial Household Agency. Current activities include agriculture, dairy farming and processing of dairy products and the 100,00 square meter land. There is also an area where visitors can interact with animals or ride horses, offering an opportunity to experience nature.
- 225 Sakuramachi, Kagamiishimachi, Iwase, Fukushima
- URL http://www.iwasefarm.com/
- A Japanese style inn in Dake Onsen within the Adatarayama Mountains. The inn is very popular for its sophisticated ”kaiseki” style meals and warm hospitality. The harmony of comfortable Japanese-style rooms and antique European furniture makes one nostalgic.
- 1-104 Dake Onsen, Nihonmatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.hana-kanzashi.com
Otogi no Yado Komeya
- Enjoy free flowing hot springs water directly from the source in the open air bath. The bath water is so clear that the surface reflects the surrounding forest like a mirror. The mineral rich hot springs almost clings to the skin, and the mist in the steam sauna uses 100% source water, providing excellent healing powers. The inn is full of ideas that allow you to unwind, such as seasonal dishes with a fairy tale theme, and comfortable rooms.
- 168-2 Kasagi, Iwabuchi, Sukagawa-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://e-yoneya.com
- Nestled in Aizuwakamatsu, Tsuruga Castle is also called ”Wakamatsu Castle”, and was built in 1593. A number of warlords have reigned over the castle, and it is widely known as the stage of the Boshin War. Currently operating as ”Tsuruga Castle Tenshukaku Museum”, many valuable documents are on display.
- 1-1 Outemachi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.tsurugajo.com/language/eng/
Kobiragata Tenmangū Shrine
- This shrine is located on the shores of Lake Inawashiro, and is known as the third largest shrine in Japan. The shrine deifies god of learning Michizane Sugawara, and students visit from all over the country as they prepare for entrance exams.
- 1615 Ko, Nishihama, Nakakomatsu, Inawashiromachi, Yamagun, Fukushima
Tsuchiyu Onsen Tatsumiya Sanso Satonoyu
- The Japanese style inn is nestled in the valley of the Bandai Asahi National Park. Enjoy Tsuchiyu Onsen to your heart’s content, the origin of which is said to date back to the gods. In the midst of the primeval forest is an open-air bath and walking paths which embody the pleasures of comfortable living.
- 27-2 Akutojiri, Tsuchiyu Onsen machi, Fukushima-shi, Fukushima
- URL http://www.satonoyu.com
Genba Honten Co., Ltd.
- Genba Honten was founded in 1823, and has been brewing sake for about 190 years. Located in Tamura, an area known for its abundant rice production, local rice and underground water from the Abukuma Mountains is used to make their signature label ”Abukuma”. Also acting as the master brewer, the owner himself does the ”shikomi” or preparation, creating ”sake” that they hope will be adored for years to come.
- 41 Kitamachi Tori, Funehiki, Funehikimachi, Tamura, Fukushima
Takahashi Peach Garden
- Fukushima Prefecture boasts the nation’s leading peach production. Tadayoshi Takahashi, an expert peach farmer with many admirers, is actively involved in breeding new varieties of peach such as ”Yuuka no Yume”, ”CX” and ”Yumekaori” which are nearly twice the size of standard peaches.
- 13 Baba、Miyoda, Tsukidatemachi, Fukushima
Suzuki Farm, Ito Seedling Store
- Koichi Suzuki produces and sells vegetables and seedlings, and is an agricultural expert who grows more than 200 varieties of vegetables every year. In addition to overseeing the branding of ”Koriyama brand vegetables”, he is involved in encouraging farmers to use ”methods of vegetable farming most preferred by consumers” through seminars and training.
- 18 Kitadera, Otsukimachi, Kooriyama, Fukushima
- URL http://suzukiitou.main.jp/
Kokken Brewery Co.,Ltd.
- Signature labels ”Kokken” and ”Tefu”are made using quality water from the snowy Aizu region. Committed to honest ”sake” production, they make ”sake”with a rich aroma and deep flavor. Brewmaster Yoshihiro Sato and his young apprentices continue to challenge themselves to expanding the world of sake brewing.
- 4037 Kamimachiko, Tajima, Minamiaizumachi, Minamiaizu, Fukushima
- URL http://www.kokken.co.jp/
- Toryukan is located on 3,300 square meters which opens up to the clear waters of Okawa River. All twelve rooms have indoor baths with hot water pulled directly from the hot spring source. Enjoy the natural beauty of the four seasons as you look down at the mountain stream from the open air bath.
- 1338 Tatemoto, Yunokami, Shimogomachi, Minamiaizu, Fukushima
- URL http://touryukan.com
- Chez Yamanobe is a single house restaurant nestled near Yunokami Onsen in the Oku Aizu Mountains. Enjoy French cuisine featuring carefully selected ingredients, in a peaceful setting where you can experience the slow transitions of nature.
- 1316 Otsu, Tatemoto, Yunokami, Shimogomachi, Minami Aizu, Fukushima